• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about Naval career path.

Nvacca

Put it this way: a bunch of us Divvo's once had a serious discussion about whether, given the choice, we would rather come in for a full day of work, or take a kick in the junk and go home. The effect was the same, but at least with the kick in the junk, it's over quicker and then you have the rest of the day for yourself. :icon_tong

Do a search man. There's some info on here, though be careful about taking AW's thoughts on SWOs as the gospel (though some of it is spot on I suppose).

Once you're researched the community, if you have specific questions about billets, duties, ships, homeports, deployment cycles, or anything else- post them.

There are some SWOs on here who really know what they're talking about. I'm commissioning as one in about a month so I have some limited knowledge of the community as well (feel free to PM me).
I will thanks !:D. If you don't mind me asking what made you want to do SWO?

navy09

None
4 year hitch, lots of leadership experience, move around a lot, diverse platforms, diverse billets, VBSS, and I've found that I enjoy driving ships and being at sea. For me, it came down to being a SWO or a pilot and after going on cruise and talking to a lot of people I decided I'd rather be a SWO...

It's certainly not for everyone, but I can't wait to give it a try.

Nvacca

So i am having a very hard time getting a hold of an OR. Ive called 4 Navy recruiting stations around me and all keep giving me the run around when i ask for an OR, or if i can schedule an appointment with one. One of them referred me to a Master Chief, isn't an OR ...supposed to be an officer?! Should i just walk into the office and ask to talk to an OR because i am not having a lot of luck on the phone.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
So i am having a very hard time getting a hold of an OR. Ive called 4 Navy recruiting stations around me and all keep giving me the run around when i ask for an OR, or if i can schedule an appointment with one. One of them referred me to a Master Chief, isn't an OR ...supposed to be an officer?! Should i just walk into the office and ask to talk to an OR because i am not having a lot of luck on the phone.

No. The recruiter I have worked with is enlisted.

Be patient but persistent. They are busy people talking and working with many many applicants. If you don't get anywhere within the next few days then I would suggest going to the recruiting station.

Nvacca

No. The recruiter I have worked with is enlisted.

Be patient but persistent. They are busy people talking and working with many many applicants. If you don't get anywhere within the next few days then I would suggest going to the recruiting station.
Yea i definitely will. Although one of the guys gave me the number to a National Guard recruiting office.... lol

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
^^^ At least he didn't give you the number for the Waffle House!

That counts for something, right?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
My recruiters were a Chief and a Senior Chief. If you keep getting a runaround find the location of the OR and just show up one morning.

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
Ya my OR is a Chief, and the guy I talked to before him was a Master Chief. The only time I ever spoke with an officer who was an OR was with the Navy Reserve.

And you do really need to be persistent. The more persistent you are, the more they know you want it. I'm always nervous about becoming annoying, but then my dad reminds me that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Stay just to the right side of the tolerably persistent/slightly annoying line and you'll get where you need to be. I spent a long time feeling like I was chasing my tail before I finally started to gain momentum on the process- do not give up, if it's something you want, you'll get there :)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
just a tidbit too about "lateral transfers." Say this works out and you get SWO, be careful about the thinking "oh I will just lateral transfer." At that point you have been designated and it will be someone elses decision.

If you don't get the lat transfer approved, you will still be a SWO. Make sure you understand that. The recruiting website may tell you there are avenues available for lat transfers, but its not like you just raise your hand and get it.

Lastly, showing up to a command and immediately advertising "I'm only doing this so I can lat transfer" doesn't always give the best impression. That kind of attitude may get taken the wrong way if your not careful.

Great advice. You also need to know that since lateral transfers are also competitive, you have to show great performance or the gaining community will pass on you for someone else. Since part of performance is being ranked against your peers, COs are prone to use anyone not totally dedicated to that profession as "cannon fodder". Announcing your intentions to ANYONE (or your significant other passing it via that network) can put a big crimp in your plans. So those doing their time and getting out or there to get a check in the box in order to do something else won't break out. So you could end end up trapped in a community thinking you could escape with even less prospects for getting choice assignments. If your community is short people, they may not even let you go in the first place so heed Torpedo's advice well. Just because it's there doesn't mean you'll get it. Not by a long shot.

Nvacca

Geez, These OR's are like freakin unicorns. I finally got a hold of what i thought was an OR, apparently it was a Navy reserve recruiter. After 30 minutes of him telling me there is no such thing as BDCP and I wouldnt qualify with only 42 credits anyway. I finally got the number of what he said was an OR. I left him a message, hopefully I will hear back from him. Btw his rank was NC1 how do i adress him if i get a secretary or his answering machine? ( i left that out on my first message and it felt akward lol)