• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about getting into PLC

wannamarine

I am curiouis about PLC. The recruiter I was talking to yesterday said that to get into PLC i must go thourgh recruit training then become a marine reservist and then I would go into the PLC program and after I finish college to the TBS. Is this true or I'm I being set up for disaster. I was under the impression that PLC candidates did not have to attend recruit training and the 10 week program was their form of recruit training. Anybody got any experience with this.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
He is misleading you... being a reservist is not a pre-requisite for the PLC program. Out of curiosity how old are you?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
dreampilot said:
20 years old? Can you explain the whole process?

Were you talking to a recruiter (enlisted) or an OSO? If you were talking to a recruiter he might have been trying to get you to help boost his numbers. Im not an expert, but from what I know you can become a reservist, go to college while doing the weekend thing, then go to OCS during the summer. After you complete OCS you will get your commission and then you will go to the typical officer contract. You might get deployed with your reserve unit, I had a buddy who that happened to. After he got back he just decided to finish his enlisted contract and dropped the PLC program. Looking back I kinda wish I would have done it that way, I would have liked a tour on the ground and enlisted side. But, thats all personal preference. Hope this helps some. s/f

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
dreampilot said:
20 years old? Can you explain the whole process?

You need to find the OSO (Officer Selection Officer) for your area. Talk to him to get the straight story.

Go to the horses' mouth (so to speak)

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
ok you're 20 but are you currently in college? Perhaps what he meant if you're not already in college is that you can do the reserves, then PLC. This is helpful if for some reason you cant pay for college or if you need to take some time before continuing/starting college.

But typically, if you start the program early on, you will go during summer break for 6 weeks, then after the following year of school you will go for the second set of 6 weeks. If you only have 1-2 semesters left of college at the summer break point, then you will go to only one session of training, but it will last for 10 weeks. either way you go, the training at OCS is what you go through. You dont have to go through recruit training though

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
My girlfriend's cousin has been getting this same story.

He signed up for PLC as soon as he turned 18, and is scheduled to start school at University of Kentucky in the fall.

He told me he was going to PLC starting THIS summer (the one before his first freshman semester), then going the summer between fresh and soph, then would go to TBS after graduation.

Last week, his OSO said something about him going to the Island this summer for 10 weeks, then going to PLC next summer and the summer after. This seemed strange to me, too. Think he's getting screwed?

batman527

Banned
I believe that if you're in college, the enlisted recruiter is obligated to put you in touch with your local OSO, so that you understand all of your options before you make a decision. Regarding what actually happens, that doesn't appear to be the effective rule. Kind of stupid.

mts4602

Before talking to an OSO. Does anyone know where I can find some good info on PLC? The Marines website is like reading a pamphlet and offers just a little paragraph.

snort

Banned
No joy here on the PLC info, but I know someone who could help. I'll contact you.

@ devil_dog: You might be interested in the book 'NO TRUE GLORY, A Fronline Account of the Battle for Fallujah' by Bing West. After reading it, I think I'd skip ground in these times.

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
snort said:
devil_dog: You might be interested in the book 'NO TRUE GLORY, A Fronline Account of the Battle for Fallujah' by Bing West. After reading it, I think I'd skip ground in these times.

I read it. Like I said, its just kinda what I wish I would have done, but thats me. I never hope to find myself in a place like that, but if Marines are going I would want to be with them. But hey, shoulda coulda woulda ... Im just a TBS soon-to-be-grad ... 4 weeks ...

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
mts4602 said:
Before talking to an OSO. Does anyone know where I can find some good info on PLC? The Marines website is like reading a pamphlet and offers just a little paragraph.

I looked a lot for the same type of stuff before I went to OCS. There doesnt seem to be a whole lot out there that goes into much depth about it. But its kinda suppose to be that way. Its part of the process I guess ... going in there not knowing what the hell you just signed up for. Your best sources are going to be talking to those who have done it, and everyone has their own expirences. Nate Fick's book "One Bullet Away; making of a Marine officer" talks about it some. You can ask me any Q's you got. Good luck, s/f

mts4602

Actually I just finished reading that book, haha. So I'm assuming PLC is pretty much like Fick's story of OCS but either split in half 6 and 6 weeks, or all together like OCS for 10? More or less the same as OCS?

By the way, Devil dog, are you in aviation or another community?

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
Air contract, reporting to Pcola in a few weeks from TBS