• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about getting into PLC

SpiderUSMC

Guys, check out www.marineocs.com . Should be able to answer all of these questions there.

I'm also about 90% sure that recruiter was jerking your chain about going to PI. Plenty of PLC guys on marineocs.com and none of them are required to go to recruit training.

Petrov

From a cndidate shipping to OCS in 2 days; You don't have to enlist first, but you must have completed your first year at a 4-year college. You cannot go to OCS before freshman year. The only reasons you should enlist first with the intention of going to OCS is for the added experience/ maturity/ respect/ etc.. But in the end there are no guaruntees that you won't be deployed or won't be accepted to OCS. Unless you can be happy staying enlisted, why take the chance?

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Quick update here:

My girlfriend's cousin was getting screwed. Long story short, his recruiter (who shall remain *appropriately* nameless), led him AND his parents (which is even more infuriating/dishonorable considering the fact that his father is a RETIRED VIETNAM MARINE CAPTAIN, 3 tours on the ground, 3 in the air) to believe that he was signing up for PLC, guaranteed them all that (and I quote, as I was there) "there is no way he can be activated/called to duty while he is in college," and promptly signed him into an enlisted DEP/reserve contract in which he would ship out to Parris Island on May 22nd.

I then felt like I was justified in helping he and his family (3 days before his ship-out date, mind you) find out all they could about the DEP, including the process for withdrawing from it.

Luckily it all worked out, as they put in the proper paperwork on May 19th, and he was saved from having to do something he didn't really want to do, and of which he was not fully aware.

Now his recruiter is making up stories, telling his superiors that this kid "slid the letter/paperwork under his door after hours," when in reality, I, his father, and his mother were all present when he hand-delivered the paperwork to the recruiter.

Needless to say, this has really been a bad experience, and has soured me and his family on at least one Marine. Hopefully this attitude and behavior are not representative of the general whole of the Corps, and I honestly believe they are not, particularly considering the level of professionalism and dedication to higher principles to which most people in the Marines that I have encountered on this site hold themselves.

Postal

pilot
This recruiter's methods I do not agree with. Just want to point out a few benefits of joining the reserves, then PLC. That is what I did 18 years ago. It worked out.

-Prior enlistment will look good on your application for PLC.
-Gain maturity at bootcamp that will help you to succeed in life and college.
-Will give you an edge at OCS.
-PEBD will be earlier which equals more money with time in service as you move up the pay scale.

I did get activated for Desert Shield/Storm. Had 1 week to drop out of college prior to leaving. After 9 months went back to school. Now I was a Veteran and went to Finacial Aid. From that point on my tuition was paid for through a Pell Grant. With reserve pay, FIP (Flight Incentive Pay), and GI Bill (Reserve), I actually netted $300 a semester after room and books were paid for. Worked part time for fun money and graduated with no student loans to pay for.

Would I trade it an just apply for PLC. No way. I would do it all over again.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
All those things were what they told him, as well, once they came clean about the whole deal.

Wouldn't have been a problem had they just been up front with him from the get go...doesn't mean he'd have done it, because his entire tuition is being paid for with scholarship from the VA and other sources, and he gets a pretty hefty stipend check, but they might have actually gotten him to do this had they been forthcoming.

But that's neither here nor there...like I told him, there's absolutely nothing wrong with going enlisted/reserve and becoming an enlisted Marine, as long as you want to be an enlisted Marine.

Since that wasn't the case, we went the route we went.

Plus, with the qualifications and recommendations he's going to have, he has, IMHO, a pretty damn good chance of getting into PLC anyway. He's better qualified and has better reccos/etc than I did, and I got into BDCP for the Navy, so he should be a shoe-in.

mjcIII

USMC LCpl
I have been looking into the same enlist to PLC that you are talking about. I have talked to an OSO and he told me that going into PLC via enlistment is an option and will put you a little bit ahead of the composition. (e.g. you and another guy have the same ASVAB, SAT, GPA, ect. if your a marine and he isn't you will be chosen above him). This WILL NOT guarantee you a PLC slot. It will, however, make you a little bit more competitive.

mjcIII

USMC LCpl
O'contrair, Carno, I spoke with an OSO yesterday and an NCO today they both told me that you can choose to send your SAT, ACT, and/or ASVAB. I suggest taking them all it can't hurt to get the extra standardized test taking skills. If you have any questions on PLC, dreampilot, email me at mikey@spikecast.com I can save you months of research.

Rednight27

Dust Bunny Supreme
Devil dog: You DON'T want to be on the ground, I'm talking from current experience! Whoever said Afghanistan was safer than Iraq was a supply pogue! I still cringe at three letters = I+E+D. Good thing the talibs can't hit the broad side of a barn with an RPG at 20 m away!