• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

question

olympianchc

Fox Co....TBS
I have been moved to mike co. because of an injury, and quite frankly it sucks having to wait until the next class picks up, and thats not even guaranteed because i might not be healed...so, my question is, do i have any options or no. Is there any way that i can drop my commission and get out of the corps, or is that un-heard of? I just dont think i can handle sitting around camp barrett forever, and then still have to complete TBS once its over...any thoughts or insights?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
olympianchc said:
i might not be healed...so, my question is, do i have any options or no. Is there any way that i can drop my commission and get out of the corps, or is that un-heard of? I just dont think i can handle sitting around camp barrett forever, and then still have to complete TBS once its over...any thoughts or insights?

Yeah, take a minute to look at the big picture of why you became a Marine in the first place- then suck it up.

I have a friend who spent a year at Barret and hated it, but he sucked it up and pushed ahead. He likes life now that hes out of there.

Just look at your down time as time towards your commitment and points towards retirement.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
You really want to drop your commission because of a delay? I mean yeah Camp Barret sucks but still, not that bad... I agree with Zippy, think about why you joined to begin with then suck it up, I know guys who spent 2 years there...It can always be worse...

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
Break out the combat straw

I don't know the specifics of your situation, but you are coming across a little whiney. If I'm way off base here, feel free to correct me.

How far along were you before you went on medical hold? Camp Barret sucks, don't get me wrong, but is it so bad that you are willing to completely give up on the Marine Corps? Before you go trying to drop your commission (which I'm pretty sure you can't do at this point), think about why you became a Marine in the first place.

Being a Marine often means putting up with situations you don't like. Do you think guys are happy about going back to the sandbox for tour #2, or being extended a month prior to rotation back? We invented the combat straw. So my advice is to use it and suck it up.

Your situation is far from unique. I knew guys at PI and MCT that were on hold for ages. Hell, I graduated boot camp with a guy who had spent over a year at PI (due to medical/physical issues). You would think he would walk around like someone had pissed in his Wheaties, but he was one motivated dude. At the time, you could not have payed me a millon bucks to stay one more day at PI.

It's often hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. The view is especially bad from Camp Barrret, but stick with it and the reward will be worth it. We all have $hitty days. Don't let one lousy setback screw up your life. Someone on this forum has a great quote in their signature:

We often give up what we want for what we want now.

Don't be "that guy".

Crowbar

None
You aren't the first person, nor will you be the last person to get injured and have your training delayed. Look around, there are plenty of people in Mike Co and on this board who waited to heal before they could start/continue training. Like handjive said, I had someone at boot camp with me who got PFC due to time in grade he had been there so long. It happens. And there's a chance it may happen again. I can't tell you how many times I've been laid up due to injuries (including at OCS and TBS) but you just have to realize IT'S TEMPORARY.
If your reason for wanting to resign your commission is that you don't like Camp Barrett, you need to seek advice from some of the Captains and Majors where you are. Barrett could possibly be the worst place in America to be stationed, but there's stiff competition for that title. But in the end, remember IT'S TEMPORARY.
Hopefully you'll wake up tomorrow with a better outlook on things and will realize resigining your commission because you don't like a TEMPORARY duty station and are in a bad situation (which is TEMPORARY) is ridiculous. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

olympianchc

Fox Co....TBS
I understand what you all are staying, but there are other factors leading me to believe that maybe i shouldnt be here...regardless, have you heard of guys getting their commission dropped?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
olympianchc said:
I understand what you all are staying, but there are other factors leading me to believe that maybe i shouldnt be here...regardless, have you heard of guys getting their commission dropped?

Not for non negative things...
Care to elaborate on what your situation is or is it personal?

usmcecho4

pilot
olympianchc said:
I have been moved to mike co. because of an injury, and quite frankly it sucks having to wait until the next class picks up, and thats not even guaranteed because i might not be healed...so, my question is, do i have any options or no. Is there any way that i can drop my commission and get out of the corps, or is that un-heard of? I just dont think i can handle sitting around camp barrett forever, and then still have to complete TBS once its over...any thoughts or insights?

You could always go "gay." They aren't even allowed to investigate as to whether or not it's true (unless sec nav authorizes it). A female who used to be in mike co did this and I haven't seen her around in a while. You will get admin sep-ed and that's about it (besides declaring yourself "gay" and thereby starting down the rainbow road to recreational anal adventures).

Another way that seems to work is having back "injuries" these are extremely hard to prove/disprove. I wouldn't recommend these routes but they've been done before and beat going UA, drunk driving, or other criminal-type escape plans.

But for real, suck it up take your meds, do your rehab, and you will def feel way better about the future (I was M co for 4 months with a broken ass ankle it sucks but it does pass). Also it might help you to take a look at the Marine with two fake arms going through Semper-Fu over at the MACE and seriously think about how bad your situation really isn't.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

teufelsurfer

Helos in Paradise
I cannot believe I am even reading this from someone who dares call himself a Marine Officer.

If you have serious family issues (i.e. you have to care for your younger siblings because your parents got cancer/died in a fiery car crash) or there is something seriously messed up about your health (you have asthma) or you are in violation of the don't ask don't tell policy, there might be grounds to drop your commission.

99.99% of the contributors on this board's gut reaction (mine included) is "Who the F is this sh--bag boot LT who wants to leave the marine corps because they have to spend some extra time in Mike company?" Are you serious?

PLEASE feel free to enlighten the rest of us with the details of your predicament if you want serious advice about this, because right now you're just begging to get flamed to death.

I may be stretching, but judging on your recent posts involving complaining about the details of your committment time for aviation, and 'so is it true that xxx can get you kicked out of the corps??' questions, your motives are HIGHLY suspicious seeing that they're all posted within hours of each other.

These are the kinds of questions you should expect from pre-OCS people, NOT officers who have already accepted their commissions. You need to either sit down and have a serious evaluation about your future life as a Marine, or go get immediate counseling from your Chaplain/OIC/XO. In a few months you could be leading Marines to their deaths, or in a few years behind the stick of a helo with a platoon of grunts in the back and in your hands, and here you are whining about not liking Mike Company?

On second thought, maybe you SHOULD find yourself a way out of my Marine Corps, and FAST.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Im thinking maybe you should get out before you and your defeatist attitude infects my beloved Corps. If you have personal issues discuss it with your chain of command and get help, if your injured heal and press on but if you just dont want to play anymore than I wish you had figured that out a lot earlier and saved us some money and time but oh well I hope they get some work out of you prior to your early departure.