• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question from an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I didn't make the game... I just play it. If it is out there, why not take advantage of it? I think the big thing with this program is it gives the Navy predictability for years ahead. Right now there is a excess of junior officers, but who knows about the future.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
aside from the fact that for your tour in college you are not getting any leadership training, yet getting all the benefits..... hmmmmm

If you were offered a spot in the program when you were in school, would you have said no? I looked at ROTC first and it didn't end up being a good option for me. OCS vs OCS with a paycheck -- What would you do?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Hey, we're not knocking you guys for taking advantage, we're simply green with envy. Enjoy the leave when you get commissioned.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Thisguy said:
Hey, we're not knocking you guys for taking advantage, we're simply green with envy. Enjoy the leave when you get commissioned.

Hey, everything has a price.... I'm just trying to figure out where BDCP's price is.

pineapplehead

BDCP Crypto, OCS - July 9, 2005
no backing out - once you've signed the papers, you're going into the Navy unless you are NPQ...and they're probably pickier about that after they've shelled out alll that money for you...no simple broken leg is going to disqualify you....

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
pineapplehead said:
no backing out - once you've signed the papers, you're going into the Navy unless you are NPQ...and they're probably pickier about that after they've shelled out alll that money for you...no simple broken leg is going to disqualify you....

No different than ROTC or Academy.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
No different than ROTC or Academy.

Can you not opt out after your first two years without obligation? My brother was recruited by all three academies, and I could have sworn they all told him he could leave after two years without military obligation. Did I imagine that?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ben said:
Can you not opt out after your first two years without obligation? My brother was recruited by all three academies, and I could have sworn they all told him he could leave after two years without military obligation. Did I imagine that?

If you want to opt out of your scholarship, you must do so before the start of your sophomore year. At least that's how NROTC works.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
not knocking the people who take advantage of it, just the program itself. Ben if I had not been NROTC (still would do that again, some of the things and experiences I had, I consider to be invaluable) and was planning on trying for OCS, I would definetly have to tried to take advantage of it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
not knocking the people who take advantage of it, just the program itself. Ben if I had not been NROTC (still would do that again, some of the things and experiences I had, I consider to be invaluable) and was planning on trying for OCS, I would definetly have to tried to take advantage of it.

Same here. I think the program is rather... dumb. Brilliant marketing though, and if I didn't have the option for NROTC I would have definitely considered that.

R_mojo1

BDCP-CEC, OCS June 05, 05
I know a LT that graduated from the Naval academy. The academy boys hate us (BDCP's) so bad.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
R_mojo1 said:
I know a LT that graduated from the Naval academy. The academy boys hate us (BDCP's) so bad.

Yeah, there are a few USNA guys at my Drop Zone... They dont have money to drop into skydiving, and they hate that I just get money thrown at me.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Academic requirements are very high for BDCP. It is tough to get a NROTC scholorship, but those are HS students that may or may not do so well in college. BDCP guys have a track record in college and their GPAs, on average, are probably higher on graduation than ROTC and even USNA. BDCP is an absolute committment to they Navy in a specific designator as much as three years from graduating. If you fail to graduate you go enlisted. That is hanging over your head from the first day you cash a check. And yes the ROTC/USNA quys can back out up to two years after joining. BDCP people are counted against OCS quotas in advance. It tends to smooth out OCS manning. Personally, I would like to see them do something like PLC or the old AVROC program. It isn't too much to ask. BTW, the program was intorduced in the mid '80s when I was a LT active duty recruiter. If it was not worth the money they would have figured it out by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.