• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question for Grill-masters

OK I saw someone asking for a mattress suggestion, so I figured I could also ask my random object question!

I'm looking to buy my husband a gas grill for his birthday. Not something incredibly fancy or expensive, but one that can cook up one hell of a steak. ;) I've been looking around online a bit, and have read mixed reviews about various grills. Anyone have one that they would recommend? We don't have a ton of space outside, so I'm looking for something that's not too huge. Also, it's just the two of us, so we're not looking to feed an army.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Jen

Renegade One

None
Jen: To paraphrase some smart guy "It's not the size of the wand, it's the magic in the magician!" By which I mean I doubt any particular grill is going to do a steak any better than any other. I'd just go hit the local Navy Exchange (assuming you have one), or the local Home Depot, etc., and pick something that looks right for you. Lots of bells and whistles avail for you to look at, but I've never used the side burner, the rotisserie rack, or any of that stuff, even though I've had models that had them.
Nice B-Day present idea, tho...good luck with this.

Did you think about getting him a Harley Dyna-Glide Low Rider? Just another idea...
V/R, Spike

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
Did he specifically ask for a gas grill? If not, and he doesn't know you're planning this, I'd try to find out his preference on the down-low. Personally, I can't stand propane grills, sure, there are other types of fuel to be had... but nothing beats charcoal when it comes to flavor... except maybe some of that hybrid 'flavored' woodchip stuff, I've never tried it and wouldn't know.

Renegade One

None
Actually, porw0004, that's a good call. "Back in the day" seems everyone had the standard, round, charcoal-burning "Weber Grill" that worked like a champ. Sort of becoming a lost art. I actually, on occasion, use the big mesquite "chunks" you can get (normally for a smoker) and make my own charcoal out of them. Now THAT's tasty!

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I concur with a charcoal grill unless he's a gasman. I've been grilling on charcoal since age 12. The flavor is better and there isn't anything to break. Plus they're cheaper.

Jen

Wife of a Growler stud
How much are you looking to spend? The good thing is that with summer coming to a close, grills should be on sale.

I got my hubby a nice CharBroil Commercial Series grill for about $320 after taxes from Lowes about 2 months ago. It's got 3 or 4 burners (I can't remember) and a side range to cook pots on. He loves it and its all stainless steel so it looks great... which I love. We had a big party over and he got rave reviews from all of the guys on it too!

Good luck with the shopping and I hope you find something great!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I went with a Weber. Worth the extra $$ it costs. Little things like stainless steel cooking surface instead of porcelain coated and effective flame covers really help.

Cooks like a champ.

CIMG2895-1.jpg

thanks!

While I'll admit that we both like the taste of a charcoal bbq, I know right now he's favoring gas-grills just because of the convenience and last minute thought of "lets throw something on the grill" rather than wait for the coals to heat, etc etc.

Thanks for all the great advice!

SH-60OB

pilot
When you come to your senses and decide to go Charcoal (lump not that fake pressed together stuff)) My recommendation is a Big Green Egg. A little on the pricey side but i have done everything from slow cook pork for 16 hours, to sear steaks at 900 degrees for a minute a side, to cook pizza, or smoke turkey. Truly the best purchase I have made.
http://www.biggreenegg.com/
V/R
OB

Renegade One

None
I went with a Weber. Worth the extra $$ it costs. Little things like stainless steel cooking surface instead of porcelain coated and effective flame covers really help.

Cooks like a champ.

CIMG2895-1.jpg

Hey...I vote for the next AW Rally to be at Schnugg's place...that looks like a great feed! Beef, shrimp, clams (?), veggies...wow.

MasterBates

IF you commit the sacrilege and go gas, get stainless.

Steel/Aluminum grills will be rotting apart in a year or two any place the Navy will station you save Enid, Lemoore or Meridian.

I'm pretty far inland in Kingsville, and i have to buy a new cheapish steel grill each year.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Steel/Aluminum grills will be rotting apart in a year or two any place the Navy will station you save Enid, Lemoore or Meridian.

I'm pretty far inland in Kingsville, and i have to buy a new cheapish steel grill each year.

My non-stainless grill survived several years in Pensacola, 3 years on the salt flats known as Hawaii, 3 more years back in Pensacola, and is still going now (albeit slowly having issues). If you take care of it and use a cover, it will last fine. That said, mine is a Webber, and not a cheapo Walmart special.

Flugelman

Contributor

So, you're on your 5th grill by now??? :D

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
When you come to your senses and decide to go Charcoal (lump not that fake pressed together stuff)) My recommendation is a Big Green Egg. A little on the pricey side but i have done everything from slow cook pork for 16 hours, to sear steaks at 900 degrees for a minute a side, to cook pizza, or smoke turkey. Truly the best purchase I have made.
http://www.biggreenegg.com/
V/R
OB

I second that. I know a guy who has one of those and wow it makes some outstanding tasting ribs and steaks and chicken.