• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about the F-18F?

corra0c8

That sounds great, what are some careers that an NFO can go into after the Navy ?
If i wanted airlines, how could I build civ time?
Would you suggest AD or reserves? Do the reservists get to do all the carrier ops as well ?
How about the S-3. Sounds like I would have more stick time than any other airframe, although isnt the F-18F replacing the S-3 ?

Thanks for all the help.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I thought the F-18E was more of an S-3 replacement, at least in the tanking role... but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

B

Blutonski816

^ that's not far from the truth... in the tanker role, both the E and F rhinos can carry the buddy pods... but ususally it'll be the single-seaters that do it because the extra fuel capacity since it doesn't have that extra seat...

but, of course, like it has been mentioned before, it is mostly just a Bingo Tanker... putting some gas in returning A/C so they have enough for a few passes when it comes time for recovery...

Jedj

not true, the tanking role is carried by both the E and F. My last deployment our sister squadron (an F squadron) tanked just as much as we did if not more. Yes, the E has 1K# more gas but thats just a nice to have, it doesnt effect how much you tank. We had to fill X amount of tanker requirements and our F counterparts had just as many of those requirements to fill. Our airwing doesnt have any S-3's so we did all the tanking. The super does have good 'around the boat' mission tanking capability (all your in-country hops are big wing airforce tankers anyway) due to the larger give that we have over the hoov, but we are slightly inferior to the hoov in recovery tanking (referred to by bluto as 'bingo tanking') in the sense that we do not have the endurance to double cycle with any give whatsoever, even in a 5 wet configuration. Hope that clears things up.

corra0c8

holy thread hijack,
anybody know what type of careers are available for an NFO after the Navy ?

EDIT: START A NEW THREAD.

Jedj

your context is killing me Hoover! I am glad that you got some satisfaction out of it though and I do wish that I had some of you guys in our airwing to soak up the night RTNK/TTLR's. Besides, you sound so cute coming over the ramp with your whooping engine noises.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
corra0c8 said:
holy thread hijack,
anybody know what type of careers are available for an NFO after the Navy ?

EDIT: START A NEW THREAD.

A NFO has every career opportunity the day he gets out of uniform as a pilot, except professional pilot. You can even do the airline thing, as stated before, but with some additional training. The cost and time committmenet to do that will depend on what your civ log book looks like when you get out. Short answer though is, you can do anything. Shouldn't have to give you specifics. Come on, for starters, who do you think works for all the comapanies that supply NAVAIR with all its toys? Who trains and consults with the military? Heck, if a guy is willing to invest in becoming an airline pilot post NFO he could just as well become a dentist, MD, optometrist, lawyer, etc by going bck to school. You will not go unemployed as a former NFO.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
dawson said:
your context is killing me Hoover! I am glad that you got some satisfaction out of it though and I do wish that I had some of you guys in our airwing to soak up the night RTNK/TTLR's. Besides, you sound so cute coming over the ramp with your whooping engine noises.

Nope, no more whooping for me, I had to move on and turn over the tanker king duties. Now I just make day trips to the boat in the Mighty COD! :icon_smil

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
corra0c8 said:
How about the S-3. Sounds like I would have more stick time than any other airframe, although isnt the F-18F replacing the S-3 ?

Thanks for all the help.

Buddy, if you're coming in as an NFO, the LAST thing you should be worrying about is stick time. Go in as a NA if you want stick time. Seriously. I don't think any pilot here wants their NFO worrying if they'll get the stick from them during a flight. I'm not trying to be a dick, just realistic... NFO <> stick time.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Oh no, I get all sorts of stick time... hell, the pilot usually just takes a nap while I fly...

Seriously, Fly Navy is correct... I've flown in exactly one 18-FT (the dual-controlled version of the Super Hornet) and that was just a pain in the ass because I kept hitting the brakes when I was trying to talk on the radio.

You're much more valuable as a WSO if you a tactical King Kong than a wannabe stickmonkey.