• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about the F-18F?

corra0c8

Is it dual controls? Can't find any pictures. Also, on the S-3, do the pilots let the NFO fly much or not really ?

FA-18 Mousse

Reserve Hornet Bubba
pilot
Just to clarify. There are some FA-18Fs that DO have dual controls, but these aircraft solely reside at the FRS. Would guess that there are about 15 dual controlled "F"s at each of the FRS (East and West). The rest of the "F"s are "missionized cockpits" with dual hand controllers on the consoles.

corra0c8

fa18fpit.jpg

B

Blutonski816

in that order... Only the RAG birds... seen a photo of a twin stick Backseat somewhere before, can't remember where though.... EDIT: nevermind, that's the photo I was referring to...

and no...

FA-18 Mousse

Reserve Hornet Bubba
pilot
Another thought came to mind as well as a bit of trivia. Don't think most people know it, but every "F" is capable of being "stick kitted" to allow it to become a trainer. Boeing folks can make this mod happen inside of one day if pressed.

Thought it may interest you.

FA-18 Mousse

Reserve Hornet Bubba
pilot
Hand controllers are what the WSO uses to control the weapons and sensors. FRS stands for Fleet Readiness Squadron (squadron where you learn on your fleet aircraft prior to being assigned to a fleet squadron).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
corra0c8 said:
o ok got it, so the stick in the back is just for selecting different weapons

To clarify, it's "weapon systems." There's more to an aircraft than the actual round hanging off the wing.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
S-3 NFOs that flew in the right seat usually got to drive when things were slow or on FACIT (Fool Around and Call It Tactics) missions. When you were actually working on a mission you had other things to do in the right seat. Besides, the flying being done at those times was better left to the guy with the single anchor wings. That is his job.

All that said, it doesn't make any difference as the War Hoover is just about gone. You still might want to take this on board. No self respecting NFO "asks" for the stick. You have your job, the pilot has his. I was an experienced civ pilot as a S-3 NFO and an airline pilot by the time I flew in the Reserves. I never once asked for the stick. Got to drive plenty, but only when offered by the pilot in command.

corra0c8

how many years must you serve as an NFO?
i am already a civilian pilot with a few hundred hours. is it worth it to go active duty/reserve and try to get a hornet NFO spot. one of my goals is to become an airline pilot but it isnt defenite since every airline is going bankrupt.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
corra0c8 said:
how many years must you serve as an NFO?
i am already a civilian pilot with a few hundred hours. is it worth it to go active duty/reserve and try to get a hornet NFO spot. one of my goals is to become an airline pilot but it isnt defenite since every airline is going bankrupt.
You owe the Navy 6 years after you get your wings. NFO training is about 1 year long and you must add the time for OCS, API and some other delays. Total time before you can get out from the day you start is roughly 7.5-8.0 years.

Even though I was a civ pilot as well when I became a NFO, I enjoyed it very much and would do it again. If you really want ot be an airline pilot though you may not want to go NFO. It can be done. I did it and so have many others. You will still have to get the civ time in your log book. There are creative and costly ways to do that. You will not go from the Navy to United directly. Still there are alot of great jobs in aviation to be had for a former NFO, especially if you are an accomplished civ pilot too. So, you can go into the NFO program thinking maybe the airlines will work out later, as long as you can also be happy doing something different. You will not go unemployed as a former NFO. Then again, you may want to stay in the Navy. Trust me. Flying as an NFO off the ship is far more rewarding and exciting then flying an airliner.