• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question About NROTC College Program

Navy14

MIDN 4/C
How does the college option work during your freshmen year? How apart of the unit are you compared to the scholarship programmers? Do you still get to do everything that they do, besides summer training, in your freshmen year even if you aren't on scholarship?

Also if possible was anyone here apart of the UPENN NROTC Unit? How was that?

swa4103

As a college programmer, the only thing you don't get is a military id. Other than that, everyone is treated equally, and expected to perform equally. You get to do everything that any other midshipmen would get to do, other than summer cruises, obviously.

Navy14

MIDN 4/C
At least at UPENN NROTC it seemed that as a Freshmen without a scholarship I would technically not be in the Unit; no PT, not uniform, etc. I would only have to attend the Naval Science classes. The reasoning I was given behind this is that if I was actually in the unit I wouldn't be eligible for a four year scholarship. Is it possible to get a four year scholarship after your freshmen year or a semester? In all my research I didn't come across anything like this. I always thought your freshmen year you were actually in the unit and then at the end of the year eligible for a three year scholarship.

swa4103

You're right. You should be in the unit there, but it seems as if the staff might want you to re-apply for the 4 year scholarship. You are correct in saying that if you were in the unit you would be ineligible for the 4 year scholarship. With that being said, you are more than eligible for the side-load scholarship, which is essentially the same as the 4 year scholarship, with the exception that it is for 3 and 2 year time periods. If you don't receive those, you are still eligible to receive advanced standing, which is applied for and received in between your sophomore and junior years. It provides a monthly stipend, and a guaranteed commission (assuming you meet all the commissioning requirements). From what I understand, advanced standing is usually received if you are in good standing with the staff, good pt scores, at least a 2.5 GPA, and an all-around good military aptitude.

Navy14

MIDN 4/C
So really the only point of not being in the unit Freshmen year would be to make back the money I payed for the one year of college? Does it really matter then which route I end up doing?

swa4103

I personally would join as a college programmer, and give up my chances of getting a 4yr scholarship. If you forgo joining the unit this upcoming year, and receive a 4 year scholarship, you would join the unit as a freshman next year, and be in college for 4 more years. Again, if it was me, I would join as a college programmer, and concentrate my efforts on receiving a side-load scholarship or advanced standing.

Navy14

MIDN 4/C
So if you do the 4 year scholarship after your freshmen year you have to redue freshmen year, which would make 5 years of college? Sorry if it seems obvious, I'm just trying to make sure.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dude, what the hell are you talking about? If you get picked up for a scholarship while you're in college, you graduate when you graduate. You may have to double up on naval science classes, but that's about it. Are you a mid now? Stop giving out bad gouge.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Dude, what the hell are you talking about? If you get picked up for a scholarship while you're in college, you graduate when you graduate. You may have to double up on naval science classes, but that's about it. Are you a mid now? Stop giving out bad gouge.

Thanks for that, I was confused by that bad gouge myself.

eagleerok

One down, three to go
How does the college option work during your freshmen year? How apart of the unit are you compared to the scholarship programmers? Do you still get to do everything that they do, besides summer training, in your freshmen year even if you aren't on scholarship?

Also if possible was anyone here apart of the UPENN NROTC Unit? How was that?

Let me see if I can help you with your question. Theres two things I think your talking about here, one is the College Program, the other is the Scholarship program. The College Program is for non-scholarship students who enroll in the NROTC program, take the Naval Science classes as well as the Naval Leadership Lab. That means they participate in all unit functions the same as scholarship students, everything is the exact same, except that college programmers don't go on summer cruises. These students, if they meet the basic scholarship requirements, GPA, PRT, good standing in the unit, then towards the end of the year they are put up for Sideload Scholarships or 2 and 3 year scholarships depending on what year you are. These scholarships seemed to pick up more this year for Navy Options, Marine Options totally different story. In my unit we had three 4/c who were eligible and put up for scholarships, one got it. He had a 3.8 GPA, solid PRT scores, overall a good guy. The other two, one had 2.58 GPA, and the other had bad PRT scores, 3.0 GPA and didn't show up to some unit functions. We had 10 3/c get picked up, they were all pretty good people, good GPA, PRT's, and performance. If you don't get picked up for a 2 or 3 year scholarship then at the end of your 3/c year you can apply for advanced standing. Advanced standing allows you to continue in the last two years of the program and if you complete all the same requirements, graduate and earn a commision. They receive a stipend, summer cruises, military ID and everything that scholarships students have except they're not getting school paid for. These seem to be not that competitive, last year the number put in was something in the area of 130 and the number picked up for it was somewhere in the 120's.

The other option that they are talking is reapplying for the 4-year scholarship. Basically you show up to school in the fall, and you enroll in the Naval Science classes but NOT in Naval Leadership Lab, so your not in the program you're just taking the Naval Science classes, the Air Force calls them "Special Students". But you apply for the 4-year NROTC scholarship program on the NROTC website complete all the requirements and submit a package and hope to get picked up for that scholarship at your school. If you get picked up for that, it activates in the fall of your sophomore year because you already completed your freshman year of college, and since the previous year you took the freshman Naval Science classes, you enroll in the sophomore Naval Science classes and you are a 3/c with three years left to graduate. In previous years this seemed like the way to go but with the increase in college program scholarships they're not recommending this as much.

Hope this answers your question

NATHAN4748

What if you're a freshman in college and haven't thought about NROTC but decided that it's something you'd be interested in? Could you start NROTC your sophomore year of college?

cameron172

pilot
What if you're a freshman in college and haven't thought about NROTC but decided that it's something you'd be interested in? Could you start NROTC your sophomore year of college?

Yes. I did and had to take the freshman and sophomore naval science classes at the same time to catch up, but it's totally do-able.

Navy14

MIDN 4/C
Thanks that did help, I spoke with the UPENN NROTC Freshmen Advisor and I'll be enrolling in the Naval Science courses but not doing the college program so I'm still eligible for the 4 year scholarship. He seemed to be pushing that as really the only feasible option.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks that did help, I spoke with the UPENN NROTC Freshmen Advisor and I'll be enrolling in the Naval Science courses but not doing the college program so I'm still eligible for the 4 year scholarship. He seemed to be pushing that as really the only feasible option.

That makes ZERO sense. It seems that they are trying to game the system or they are trying not to hurt your feelings. Are there other issues that may affect your ability to PT? Height/Weight/Body Fat?

We had a guy try to join, but the XO would not let him join the unit (NO uniforms, No pt, No labs, etc) until he passed a Navy PFA. Long story short, he never passed the PFA and went along his way.

-ea6bflyr ;)