• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question About NROTC College Program

Navy14

MIDN 4/C
There is nothing, besides the fact that I didn't get the scholarship, that would make them not want me in their unit. What I was told was that they prefer if you go through the first year only taking the Naval Science courses and participating in PT, not actually joining the unit so that I can still be eligible for the 4 year scholarship. He made it seem that thats what they try to get all other non scholarship students to do. Really the only reason I was given as to why this is the best option is because I would be eligible for the 4 year and 3 year scholarship, after my freshmen year.
I'm just confused because from all the other contact i've had with other NROTC units this is not the normal course of action.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is nothing, besides the fact that I didn't get the scholarship, that would make them not want me in their unit. What I was told was that they prefer if you go through the first year only taking the Naval Science courses and participating in PT, not actually joining the unit so that I can still be eligible for the 4 year scholarship. He made it seem that thats what they try to get all other non scholarship students to do. Really the only reason I was given as to why this is the best option is because I would be eligible for the 4 year and 3 year scholarship, after my freshmen year.
I'm just confused because from all the other contact i've had with other NROTC units this is not the normal course of action.

Yes, this is NOT the NORM. So, you apply to NROTC via the website after your freshman year? So why even participate in NROTC at all....what are you gaining, other than the Freshman Naval Science Class? And what would you do with a 4 year scholarship if you have only three years left? Again, it seems like they are using this tactic as a filter or a way to game the system.

I can tell you that if you showed up to my NROTC unit when I was teaching, I would put you through orientation (after you passed a physical and filled out the CP paperwork), issue you uniforms, and make you PT; just like a scholarship student. Once you proved yourself academically, aptitudenally, and athletically, you would have been submitted for a 3.5 or 3 year scholarship.

If you stay your course, I wish you luck.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Navy14

MIDN 4/C
They have 3.5 year scholarships? My Father and I figured it was a tactic to weed out kids who shouldn't be in the program, but to me it also seems like a pointless year. The only positive that I can see is that it would give me two chances to get a scholarship rather then relying on the one 3 year scholarship, or if i don't get that the 2 year scholarship.

One last question. If I didn't become a part of the college program then I would have to reapply through the online system, does that mean the unit would have no say over whether or not I should receive the scholarship? Would they have a bigger say if I did college program and tried for the 3 year scholarship?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They have 3.5 year scholarships? My Father and I figured it was a tactic to weed out kids who shouldn't be in the program, but to me it also seems like a pointless year. The only positive that I can see is that it would give me two chances to get a scholarship rather then relying on the one 3 year scholarship, or if i don't get that the 2 year scholarship.

Yes...there is a PNS 3.5 year scholarship that the CO gives out (with recommendations from the staff) -typically a Mid that was on fire. I would submit students after every semester as long as they met the mins. So if you do the math, you can be submitted 4different times before your junior year.

Is money an issue, or do you want a commission? If money is not an issue, then join the NROTC and do your best!

-ea6bflyr ;)

Navy14

MIDN 4/C
Thanks for the answers, you've been really helpful.

Money is an issue and I also really want a commission. I also am reapplying to the Naval Academy and thought that if I did college program I could have an extra nomination source as well as an other option if the Academy doesn't work out again.

I think that an important question also, is there enough 3 year and 3.5 year scholarships out there to take the risk of becoming ineligible for the 4 year scholarship which is more plentiful