• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about minor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaerose

Great point. I agree completely. Don't take something just because someone else (me) says so. Investigate and do what you like.

JR

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
My fault, you're exactly right. If you think that putting yourself through that and struggling through four years of college will make you feel better about yourself in the long run, then by all means go for it. I was a Marine before I went to college and think that made more of difference than anything I could have studied in college. But, honestly, do you really think that after 10 years in the service your diploma is gonna be worth anything? You'll have forgotten more about Nuclear Physics than you learned and the recruiters will know this as well. You'll only be competitive because you were a Marine Officer not because you studied math/science/{enter major here}. That diploma won't be worth the paper it's written on.
I was a Criminal Justice major because I wanted to go into Federal Law Enforcement after completion of college (same reason I went Infantry). But, read a flyer one day that asked me "Do you want to be a Marine Fighter Pilot" and have been hooked ever since.
And another thing. "Develop character"? You've got to be kidding! Do you think studying all night and worrying about school all weekend is gonna help you to develop character? If you're missing that in college, you can forget about an acceptance into the Marines. You develop the character in elementary school, you would do better by worrying about developing social skills in college.

And YES! Definitely do something you will enjoy! That will make all the difference in the world! If you're doing something that makes you happy, the grades/GPA will take care of itself.

jaerose

Well, obviously my post was taken as a personal attack, or insult, but it wasn't. This post is not meant to demean anyone either, it's just MY opinion on the subject. Yes, I KNOW my diploma will be worth something in 10 years (maybe yours won't), but that's because it's more than just learning math and physics...it's about having better analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills than my peers. Also, some of us are more ambitious than 'underwater basket-weaving' and just sitting on our BA or BS, so as I use my BS to get into grad school and get an MBA and a Masters in a science related field I doubt I'll forget what I learned.

As far as character goes, if you really stopped developing character in gradeschool, then I'm sorry for you. I do things every day that build character. If you're productive and work towards goals I don't think you ever stop. And for social skills, that's what kinder garten and gradeschool were for, working in groups and interacting with others. But yes, you should be able to be social in college, both through extra-curriculars and everyday life. I do agree with jboomer that all-nighters and stress from worrying isn't the way to go, so if that's what you're doing then you probably did pick the wrong major. I, personally, just like difficult course material. I'm a self-proclaimed dork because I do like to know how things work and learn, but if you knew me you'd be able to tell that it in no way interferes with my social life =) Well, sorry if I offended jboomer, or anyone else in my last couple of posts. It wasn't intentional. I, like you, am just trying to help out where I can and let people see both sides. Take care everyone.

JR

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Honestly, no offense taken. But, you need to go back and talk to those that have convinced you that after taking a 10 year hiatus (or whatever it is that you're going to do with your life) that your diploma's gonna be just as good as new and/or as competitive as those that are just earning their degrees, because it's BS. Technology alone (not to mention a hundred other things) will change so much in the next ten years, you will have learned obsolete methods. The only thing that will not have changed is your level of education and most theory. And unless you practice your skills and expand on your knowledge (as an aviator -- at least in the first 3 years or so you won't have the luxury) or you're a freakin' genius you're going to forget what you've worked so hard to acquire. The biggest things you're going to get from college are the self-discipline to sit down and study and to develop the ability to actually absorb what you're trying to learn. That'll actually help you in your pursuit of aviation. I really can't see where 4 years, plus 2 or 3 for a grad degree in math/science are going to help you that much in that pursuit.

So which are you pursuing; a Masters/grad school or military aviation? Congrats and I applaud you on furthuring your education, but you need to set your priorities straight. Get the BS now, apply AND get accepted into the program now, do your tour, THEN pursue the grad degree. Now, THAT will look good to the recruiters and make you EXTREMELY competitive in the job market.

"As far as character goes, if you really stopped developing character in gradeschool, then I'm sorry for you. I do things every day that build character. If you're productive and work towards goals I don't think you ever stop"
Never said you would stop, but quit being so idealistic and concentrate on the things you really have control over and can improve in order to make yourself competitive as a prospective Marine Officer Candidate.

"And for social skills, that's what kinder garten and gradeschool were for, working in groups and interacting with others. But yes, you should be able to be social in college, both through extra-curriculars and everyday life."
See, I could repeat your comments (quoted above) on building character (i.e. never stopping and feeling sorry, etc.). You're not going to build those networking skills and experience all that life has to offer in kindergarten. Go to college, study, party, meet lots of new people (including girls -- guys if you're a girl)and don't worry so much about trying to impress anyone by exclaiming how much of "a self-proclaimed dork" you are or how many years you've spent pursuing a degree you'll probably never use and paying for it (literally) for the rest of your life!

jaerose

You have very valid points. BTW, I'm in the Navy and I do have my spot for OCS, and if things go well, flight training. For now, the military aviation is my primary objective. The MBA is going to be for life after the military, as I want to start my own business (I like the subject of money), and will probably take place online and with Navy Tuition Assistance/MGIB. The science masters will probably come about in the Naval Postgraduate School. I also have been fortunate enough to have mostly scholarships and financial aid, so I don't think I'll be paying for it financially forever.

Also, before I transferred to U of Indianapolis, I went to DePauw U. in Indiana and joined a fraternity (Phi Delta Theta). DPU was ranked in the top 10 party schools in the nation while I was there and being in PDT was definitely a social experience. I'm a very social and outgoing person and I like to go out. I just also happen to like learning. Not a bad combo. I try to have a decent balance between both. As far as the advanced science degree goes, depending on what I end up doing in flight school (hoping for tactical) I may try to get a NASA slot...which requires at least a related masters. So you see, I do have fairly good reasons for putting myself through these rigors. Well, it's late and I'm tired. I'm glad there's no hard feelings and I have really enjoyed our discussion. I think we both have good points and are both passionate about our positions. Hopefully we helped more people than we hurt =) Good night.

JR

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Boomer, Alpha is moving right along!! Bout half-way done now.

LAND MINES are equal opportunity weapons!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.