• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about minor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
Ok... I've already declared my major in flight technology (To save yourselves from typing, yes I know and have know getting a degree in aviation will in "no way" give me an edge in becoming a Naval Aviator lol) but have absolutly no idea as to what to minor in. The only thing I can figure now is a Physics minor in astronomy... only because it sounds fun. What did some of you guys minor in? Anything fun or interesting? The "aviation management" minor sounds very boring for a person like me, which is a part of the business department as well. I know I could do it... but would just like other suggestions, if you don't mind.

Thanks for any input!

Philippians 4:13
Proverbs 16:9
Romans 10:9

jrklr

Do you have to declare a minor or something? I would just focus on your major unless there's something that really interests you or you think there's one that will give you an edge on a future job (probably wouldn't apply to NA). My advice is to not minor at all, they're just extra work and more time in college that you can spend improving your GPA and concentrating on your major and getting out quicker.

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
Oh, believe me, I'd not do the minor if I could! The aviation major is only 89 credits, and you need like 100 or something for it to not require a minor. I'm still thinking of the astronomy minor... like I said... it sounds like the most fun... certainly won't be the easiest, but come on... doesn't "astrophysics" sound interesting? lol I don't have to worry about it for a while... and thank you for your input.

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
Hey, thanks for the suggestions Steve! I'll definately look into those two! I can't wait for this summer, as my old FBO owner wants me to help them out a little with helping teach some of their ground-school classes. That should rock! :)

kimphil

A science or engineering degree is best. Who knows, you may want to be an astronaut after becoming an aviator and you need a science/engineering degree to do that. Flight technology may do that if it's an engineering degree. Don't know if you could be an astronaut with a physics minor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mongol General: ... Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
Oooohhhh astronaut. lol Unfortunately this University isn't too big on the whole "engineering" thing. lol And believe me, if they had an aeronautical engineering major (or minor) I'd be on that like white on rice. (Even though aeronautical engineering may not be exactly what they're looking for) Anyway, thank you all again for the input!!

Goose

SNA Meridian
I had to take a minor as well to graduate with the Aviation Technology Degree. I ended up choosing Computer INformation Systems, since flying is turning into computer programming!! This however, was NOT fun for me at all. Very challenging and time consuming. Good luck to you

Drive Fast Take Chances

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
That's cool Goose... I'm taking a sort of "introductory" course to Industrial and Engineering technology... and it's quite amazing! I almost count down till when I go to this class! I'm going to talk with that prof about what minors they offer in that area. At least it's something technical. And I just got a bit of a boost in motivation, knowing that the new Narrator for the Blue Angels (Craig Olsen) actually graduated from my college in '91 with the same degree... not that it really means anything... but just yet another little glimpse of hope! :)

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
Today I just met a professor in the Industrial and Engineering Technology department who teaches some classes where ya measure stress points on wings, and measure flexibility and all that kind of stuff. He's building his own airplane, and is the president of the local chapter of EAA... I spoke with him for about an hour today after class.... sounds like pretty amazing stuff!

jaerose

I graduate this May with a BS in Physics and I chose to get my Mathematics minor. It was really only 1 extra class due to the high amount of Math for my major, but I figured that knowing Physics and being fairly proficient in Math could never hurt me and the problem-solving skills are, I'm guessing, very beneficial to NAs. It might be tough, or extra work, but it's definitely a good tool to have in the proverbial toolbox. Hope that helps.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I majored in "underwater basket weaving" and it has served me well up to this point. I'm flying a T-34 in the Marines and getting paid pretty well -- although my school loans soak up way too much of that salary. Back to the major -- didn't have to study any to get GREAT grades and looks good on paper. Word of wisdom: don't take something you run the risk of struggling through. A 4.0 in finger painting looks a lot better than a 2.5 in Astrophysics/chemical engineering. Enjoy college, party a lot, don't smoke anything that isn't sold in a supermarket, and don't drink and drive.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I thing I have ya beet JBoomer...

Industrial Technology/Slaughtering

in other words: shop and killing/processing

LAND MINES are equal opportunity weapons!!!

jaerose

First, let me say that this isn't meant to be argumentative in any way. Okay, now that that's clear...that strategy might work okay if you plan on not ever working a civilian job, but if you get out then you'll run into competition (although military leadership will open lots of doors). Every job recruiter I've talked to said that an analytical math/science major with a 3.0 is more attractive than a communications (no offense) or general studies major with a 4.0 any day. Not to mention that the problem-solving skills you develop are very useful in almost any field.

Honestly, though, it's your decision on whether to take the easy way, or to challenge yourself. For my situation, I figure my chosen field will be challenging, so by challenging myself academically on a daily basis I feel that I'll be more prepared. Not to mention the pride of having a difficult and technical degree. So, do you want to tell people 'I've got a BA in Phys. Ed. with a 4.0' or 'I got a BS in Physics/Math with a 3.6?'

Also, taking shortcuts won't develop any character and it will turn into a behavior pattern. By not risking anything (a 'B' in this case) you may never make it. Throughout history the risk takers who challenged themselves are the ones that have defined the times. This is true in business, politics etc. You know the cliches..."nothing ventured nothing gained," and "you can't steal second with your foot on first." Pick your philosophy. It's obvious that both work and both are perfectly respectable. It just comes down to you, your goals and your priorities. Good luck either way.

JR

NuSnake

but you have to remember...do something that you really enjoy too.....just my thoughts.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."
- Jimi Hendrix

Status
Not open for further replies.