• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about BDCP

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Tom said:
The reason why I like BDCP over ROTC is that I know what I am being offered before I commit. ROTC has you commit to the needs of the service, while BDCP prevents me from driving submarines around the North Pole my whole life.

Don't think they force people to go Nuke- encourage yes, but force- no, but I see your point. Both programs have their benifits though.

USNA and NROTC get more pilot slots then OCS does (not sure if BDCP is seperate or mixed in), but that doesnt mean you still wont fall victim to the needs of the service if your in NROTC.

staff

Bdcp

Has anyone out there recieved a SNA slot through BDCP? It would just be nice to see that some of you have done this. The more posts the better, thanks.

nugget81

pilot
Yeah there's definitely a few of here on AW. I know like 4 or 5 guys at my school that are BDCP SNA.

staff

travel time

Ok this isn't really a BDCP question, but I didn't know where else to post it. Do pilots in the Navy get to travel alot? One of the reasons I want to be in the Navy so much is because I have always heard that they are the ones who get to see the world and not get confined on a single base--is this true??

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
where are the quotas?

Essentially, all open quotas go to the USNA and ROTC first. The left overs, so to speak, are filled by OCS guys. That is one reason OCS numbers can change during the year. If the Mids don't fill all the spots then they fall to OCS. If operational needs dictate more SWOs then OCS takes up the slack. Can't generate a 1/C Midshipman in a couple months. With that said, BDCP gives you the best chance for any OCS sourced job. That is because you are putting your name on a slot that doesn't even exist when you are accepted. The slot you fill will become a quota for training when that year rolls around. In other words, if you are a BDCP guy that is selected 2 years from graduating there actually is no OCS slot for you yet. When the numbers for your year a promagated by CNRC a year or so down the road the BDCP guys for that year fill the first slots. If there are 100 BDCP guys nation wide for say '08, and when the time comes the Navy decides they have 300 jobs, the BDCP guys get 100 of them before a single person gets a shot at those quotas. That will leave just 200 jobs for the entire nation to fight over for a year. BDCP is the best deal in the military hands down!! I have been in and out of the recruiting business for nearly 20 years. I was around when BDCP was developed. It was such a good deal we all thought it wouldn't last. Obviously, the Navy finds value in it. Take advantage if you are eligable.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
My recruiter told me the same deal, and I couldn't believe him, so I had to get a second opinion here. But wink, you confirmed it.

BDCP is really too good to be true.

oztin79, this thread is old, but I'd like your opinion (and others) if you're still around: My recruiter tells me Intel boards gravitate towards people with Master's degrees and such...basically people with information analysis skills.
1. My ASTB scores are good, 65/8/9/9, good GPA, etc...but do I really have a running shot at this?
2. I'm getting an Undergrad in Economics. For me, Econ is an analytical type major, but I don't know if most people think of it as such. Will I ever get a chance to convince the boards or make my case out to them?