• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quarantine Activities

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I’ve put most of my lights on some form of WiFi/ Alexa control, mostly through WiFi light switches and some WiFi bulbs. Nothing fancy, but it’s nice to control via voice and have scenes set for watching TV or movies, etc. I have my outside lights come on and off according to sunset, and some lights come on when I get home from work. I have yet to find a good way to control Direct TV with it yet, but would be interested if someone does that. I recently discovered that Alexa has quite an inventory of fart noises that she will happily display for you. Ask her to fart for you. You can thank me later. ?
I have done the same...but I have one light that just won’t hold it’s program. It blinks and switches from a soft white to a harsh ship-white light while all the others work fine. It is maddening! I spoke with the manufacturer and they said it might be some kind of wiring issue (I live in a very old house). If we ever fall, Matrix like, to the “machines” it will be this freaking light that starts the revolution.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
I learned how to make a proper Old Fashioned - a cocktail I've always enjoyed, but never made at home. I've also learned that I need a fancier selection of bitters. Any favorites out there beyond the standard issue Angostura?
If you're really interested in upping your cocktail game, i recommend Cocktail Codex. My wife got it for me for Christmas because she knew I was interested in making better cocktails. It's been a game changer, but I will caution you that it will make you want to spend a lot of money on bottles of booze...

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
What's with this putting fruit and such in good* bourbon? ?

*I am assuming you all drink good bourbon, otherwise, what's the point?

I was under the impression we were talking about true Old Fashioned's (bourbon, bitters, single syrup). I certainly hope no one is talking about the abomination that is a mashed up fruit cocktail with bourbon poured over it that you see a lot nowadays. ;)

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I was under the impression we were talking about true Old Fashioned's (bourbon, bitters, single syrup). I certainly hope no one is talking about the abomination that is a mashed up fruit cocktail with bourbon poured over it that you see a lot nowadays. ;)
Well...there is THIS post...
I use Angostura or Angostura Orange. That brand is fine for me, and Mrs HW isn’t into any cocktails with bitters. I also use frozen cherries and a sugared dried orange slice in mine. Requires less ice, no simple syrup, and can be stored indefinitely unlike fresh oranges.
?

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Fruit in an Old Fashioned is heresy!

The book I referenced earlier actually got me making a more complex syrup using demerara sugar and my immersion circulator (sous vide). It's super easy (besides finding gum arabic which they use as a thickener, but you can order on Amazon) and gives the Old Fashioned a way better flavor than normal simple syrup. I labeled the glass bottle I use to store it in with D.G.S. for Demerara Gum Syrup, but my wife just calls it Damn Good Syrup.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
An old fashioned absolutely needs fruit. A cherry and an orange peel. Just no muddled fruit, or soda. Also always a good time for a sazarac or my favorite, a vieux carre.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bourbon, uncouth colonials. Where are the Gin experimental cocktail test pilots?

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
We're in the experimental phase of cocktail making, so all of you so-called purists can fuck all the way off. :) I, for one, like the cherry. I also have been using brown sugar to muddle with the bitters.
Relax, no one is judging you. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• FruityDrink2.jpg
    FruityDrink2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 9