• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quarantine Activities

exNavyOffRec

I did get a tip to try the exchange at the Coast Guard base in SoDo, but even pre-COVID, it was far enough out of the way to make it a hassle.
it is a pretty small exchange reminds me of the one in Singapore, but yes by the time you drive across the bridge, fight through traffic (normally), then afterwards probably need to file an insurance claim because some addict broke into your car and looked for anything of value in the 15 minutes you were in the exchange, it just isn't worth it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First gin and tonic of the spring/summer. I use key lime juice instead of lime slices. Best discoveries I've made on that front have been Q tonic water and Voyager gin. Q isn't as cloyingly sweet as Seagrams, Canada Dry, etc. It uses agave and not corn syrup as I recall. It also comes in little 5-ounce bottles or cans so you can use one to a drink. Voyager is a distillery up near Woodinville, WA, and it's the best gin I've yet come across. You can sip the stuff neat, if you want; it's that smooth. Still has an herbal bite like good gin, but it doesn't need a mixer to avoid tasting either medicinal or like you're sucking on a juniper bush. Relatively reasonably priced for a craft spirit, to boot.

View attachment 25395

As you can tell from my glorious 1960s countertop, I bought a bit of a fixer when I started working in Seattle, thanks to the batshit insane real estate market. I know exactly where I want my wet bar to eventually go. But ye gads, the money I've had to sink into other shit recently . . .
Voyager, WA. I'll keep that in mind. Second Q tonic. If u like gin always good to have Rose's sweetened lime juice on hand. This is my current stable of gin, Favorites from the left. Monkey 47 is German, Black Forest botanicals. Caorunn is Scottish Highland. Old Grove, CA and of course Hendricks is Scottish. Love The Botanist it is usually found in the collection. Aviation and Plymouth Navy Strength are reliable, very fine, and make appearances every few months. Good luck with the bar fund. Consider a go fund me?25420

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Any chance you're trying to pawn the second unit, now that victory is yours? My Nintendo collection, and the one I lost as a young boy, needs some replacement.
Ummm...Tetris victory is no longer mine...my pilot buddy from American requested a re-match today and I got smoked...and to make it even worse, then I got smoked by his wife. Over five hours of Tetris today...Tetris sucks...

Pags

N/A
pilot
Voyager, WA. I'll keep that in mind. Second Q tonic. If u like gin always good to have Rose's sweetened lime juice on hand. This is my current stable of gin, Favorites from the left. Monkey 47 is German, Black Forest botanicals. Caorunn is Scottish Highland. Old Grove, CA and of course Hendricks is Scottish. Love The Botanist it is usually found in the collection. Aviation and Plymouth Navy Strength are reliable, very fine, and make appearances every few months. Good luck with the bar fund. Consider a go fund me?View attachment 25420
What are your gin cocktail recommendations? I like gin but usually just put it in to big G&Ts. Because of that I tend towards tanqueray/Bombay as decent balance between quality and price. I've had 47 Monkeys before in some artsy fartsy G&Ts (came with sprigs of rosemary in them, juniper berries floating, etc) and it was fine but seems a waste to mix it in bulk. Same with Hendricks.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What are your gin cocktail recommendations? I like gin but usually just put it in to big G&Ts. Because of that I tend towards tanqueray/Bombay as decent balance between quality and price. I've had 47 Monkeys before in some artsy fartsy G&Ts (came with sprigs of rosemary in them, juniper berries floating, etc) and it was fine but seems a waste to mix it in bulk. Same with Hendricks.
There is always the classic dry martini. ?

As my grandfather used to say when asked how much vermouth he wanted, "face Rome when you pour the gin."

Pags

N/A
pilot
There is always the classic dry martini. ?

As my grandfather used to say when asked how much vermouth he wanted, "face Rome when you pour the gin."
Yeah, we usually make vodka+gin (2:1) martinis. Vermouth to cover the inside of the shaker. But tanqueray or bombay work just fine.

No time like the present to swap the ratio and try a gin martini

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Take a look at an Aviation, one of my favorites (and not only because of the name ;))

Gin, Maraschino liqueur, lemon juice, and Creme de Violette (which can be tough to find but any large liquor store or Total Wine should stock it)

Pags

N/A
pilot
I had my mind blown recently. I had contemplated buying my bourbon in handles. Figured I could maybe save money and make fewer trips to the store; obviously the stuff doesn't go bad. Then I went to the store and ran the numbers.

It actually costs significantly more in WA State to buy booze by the handle, because they slap a 20.5 percent sales tax on the price of a bottle AND then tax you a spirits tax on top of that that's like $3.77 a liter. I did the math, and you pay less per ounce to buy multiple fifths as opposed to one handle. So much for saving money buying in bulk . . .
That sucks. Handles still make good financial sense in the Old Line State.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Especially if you're buying them at WRNMMC.
Too far to drive for liquor. There's a good place far closer to home that often has good sales on stuff I like (Sub $30 for tanqueray or Tito's). The joint also happens to have great prices on meat as well and hoagies. Pretty solid one stop shop!

Dontcallmegump

pilot
Ummm...Tetris victory is no longer mine...my pilot buddy from American requested a re-match today and I got smoked...and to make it even worse, then I got smoked by his wife. Over five hours of Tetris today...Tetris sucks...

View attachment 25421
This saga has been an emotional roller coaster for us all. All I can hope in this trying time was that you weren't playing for pink's. Wouldn't want you to lose both the gameboys AND your dignity by losing to a girl.

But for real, love the retro nintendo spirit. Keep it up!

hdr777

pilot
Too far to drive for liquor. There's a good place far closer to home that often has good sales on stuff I like (Sub $30 for tanqueray or Tito's). The joint also happens to have great prices on meat as well and hoagies. Pretty solid one stop shop!

There's obviously a ton of places you could be talking about, but Twinbrook deli has some great sandwiches

Pags

N/A
pilot
There's obviously a ton of places you could be talking about, but Twinbrook deli has some great sandwiches
Right on, looks kind of similar but a bit smaller. I was talking about Nick's of Clinton. Nick's is a bit bigger and is technically an Italian grocery store. But the emphasis is on the deli and butcher counters and the booze section. One of the things I do like about MD is that a lot of these little neighborhood delis/groceries have survived and continue to flourish as pseudo specialty stores. Another one I like is Rips in Bowie. Good place to stop to pick up drinks on the way to visit friends in ANP.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Mrs HW got more orange slices at the store today, so it’s time for an old fashioned tonight.

Also busted the 5.56 out of the vault and will work on tightening down the front rail assembly, which was loose and disrupting the front sight alignment.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Since the COVID-19 thread jumped the shark days ago...

My main activity yesterday was to get a haircut at work. It was glorious. Now my neck doesn't look like an Italian's back.