• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quantico Area Cell Reception

bdhallsey

Quick question...who is the best in Quantico when it comes to cell phone service?

I have AT&T now and my contract is up...should I stay or should I go?

Hallsey

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
I have Cingular (now AT&T) and it works fine for me and my brother has Sprint and it works well for him. Friends of mine claim Verizon is very good as well. I live about 20 min from Quantico. I don't know of any providers that aren't very good out here so I'd say you're safe with just about any cell phone company IMO.

FLY_USMC

pilot
I've been very happy with Alltel, I've traveled all over the United States and lived in Quantico and many other places, and it seems to have reception everywhere I go, can't say the same for Sprint, course that was 7 years ago.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
While at OCS I had Cingular and it seemed to work fine (at least on the non-TBS side...cant speak for that just yet). One of the guys had Verizon and he could never get it to work. But then everyone else who had Verizon said that it worked just fine. He could have had a crappy phone or something though.

TheGreatWaldo

pilot
I had Sprint and it sucked for me. I would have to go outside every night if I wanted to talk....not bad if it's the middle of summer and the weather is nice. There was, now that I think of it, a little corner in the bathroom where I would get service, but with 5 people to a room, the bathroom constantly smelled so I used that space very little. One of my roommates had cingular and I think his got great reception. Most providers were hit or miss within the barracks anyways.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Quick question...who is the best in Quantico when it comes to cell phone service?

I have AT&T now and my contract is up...should I stay or should I go?

Hallsey

I have Verizon, and I would say stay away from them in general... VZ sucks.

They purposely disable the features of the phone that come STANDARD with other carriers.

I don't care about ringtones and all of that stuff, but they sell me a phone advertising all these features which should justify the price of the phone... but then you have to pay extra for the features... (like bluetooth...)

Other co's do it too, but not as bad as Verizon.

That is in addition to numerous dropped calls I get...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You can't really judge a cell phone provider based on performance on a base, especially a naval (lower case) base. They're too big and usually have water surrounding them. I think the only place I had decent reception was at K-Bay because the towers are so damn high on the mountains.

Whitesox, I'm not Verizon's biggest fan, but they always work for me where ever I go and I didn't have to pay for BT on my new phone. In fact BT FTP is unlocked so I can pull stuff off or put stuff on, which I really don't do much of anyway. I'd say just research your purchase better, but that's me.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Whitesox, I'm not Verizon's biggest fan, but they always work for me where ever I go and I didn't have to pay for BT on my new phone. In fact BT FTP is unlocked so I can pull stuff off or put stuff on, which I really don't do much of anyway. I'd say just research your purchase better, but that's me.

I did.

The salesman lied to me, and I'm in the process of trying to get a refund right now. Only problem is, their customer service isn't that great either.

So when they say they'll call me, they don't call me. So I call them, get the run around, transfered 10 different times, and by then I've got something better to do.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I have Verizon, and have yet to see more than one bar while on a base.

Same here ... if I sat in one specific spot in our room, with the light off and the light in the head on, and with Venus and Saturn aligned with Pluto, I would then see a few more bars.:confused:

gatordev nailed it - the service is going to be very similar amongst providers on pretty much any base. When I am inside a building at Whiting (which isn't that far out there) my phone is useless.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
Dude, I had T-mobile about a year before TBS and absolutely hated them. However, once I showed up in Quantico it worked perfectly. Some other guys were always standing outside to talk on the phone but I pretty much had a peak signal at all times in that area.

SMILE4BULLETS

I have Cingular, now AT&T, and it blows ass. Works well everywhere except Camp Barrett. IMO I'd rather catch VD then sign another contract with those punks.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
You can't really judge a cell phone provider based on performance on a base,

Verizon, hands down!. Bought 2,000 shares of Verizon just over a year ago, small change less than $30.00. Opened this morning at $43 and small change. That is just over 43% ROE in a year. Plus they just sent me a $820 dividend.:eek::eek:

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I have Verizon, and have yet to see more than one bar while on a base.

I have had Verizon for 4 years and other than minor reception issues 3 years ago in Q-town the only place I get crap reception is in my current house, and that still isn't too bad...

Plus, ran a rash of bad phones and went through 12 phones switching out within 6 months and they never gave me a problem.