• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pushups

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Every other day I do the card deck exercise for pushups. I flip them over one by one and do the same number of pushups as the card's value until I finish the deck.

Every time I do it I work up a sweat and put in a lot of effort.

Yet, my pushups are still maxing out in the mid 50s for the PRT. This worries me because isn't the minimum for the PRT 47? What will happen to me if I only manage to bang off 46 on PRT day?

Also, my recruiter says my next PRT is October 21st. I thought it was in November?

borinf2d

T-Bone
Best thing I've found is just doing alot. I do pushups and situps 3 days a week. started pushups at 15x4 then increases reps and sets every week, now up to 30x6, but it's been about 3 months. You have to do alot at once, doin 2 or 3 or even the max of a card deck, 10 or 11 isn't going to increase your max. Seems like you're under quite the time contratiant....and you can ALWAYS do one more, if you're at 46 and need 47 you'll find a way to bang that last one out.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
That card deck excercize sounds like fun, however, you need to do max sets...that is what the PFA is all about. Do your pushups as fast as you can...use good form, but do them as fast as possible.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Something that worked for me: on the days you don't do the card sets, spread 3 max sets out during the day. Maybe 1 when you get up, 1 before bed and one a some random time during the day.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Thanks guys.

And do you think the test really will be on October 21st? Everything I've ever read said that the PRT is in May and November.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Every other day I do the card deck exercise for pushups. I flip them over one by one and do the same number of pushups as the card's value until I finish the deck.

Every time I do it I work up a sweat and put in a lot of effort.

Yet, my pushups are still maxing out in the mid 50s for the PRT. This worries me because isn't the minimum for the PRT 47? What will happen to me if I only manage to bang off 46 on PRT day?

Also, my recruiter says my next PRT is October 21st. I thought it was in November?

Like was mentioned earlier, max sets are key.

And is that for 1 minute?

Back in my Ranger Challenge days in Army ROTC I was doing 750 pushups/situps a night. Maxed out the pushups at 101 in 2 minutes. I started by doing 5 or 6 sets of 75 and then dropped off accordingly. Then I realized that going to the gym was not nearly as repetitive and still allowed me to easily max the pft.

nugget81

pilot
And do you think the test really will be on October 21st? Everything I've ever read said that the PRT is in May and November.

The PRT will likely be whenever you were told to expect it. We did ours Sept 30, and before that it was in April. Others have been in Oct and May. Just whenever we're told to do it....

FMRAM

Don't worry about the clock. Few people can keep going past the 1 1/2 min mark anyways. Just do as many as you can...then do 5 more and stop.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Then I realized that going to the gym was not nearly as repetitive and still allowed me to easily max the pft.

What are some of the exercises, aside from the obvious ones (Bench, etc.), you do at the gym to max your push-ups? I'm at about 60 push-ups in a minute right now and really need to start kickin ass.

Card exercise is pretty fun but doubt it helps much with increasing reps.

FMRAM

What are some of the exercises, aside from the obvious ones (Bench, etc.), you do at the gym to max your push-ups? I'm at about 60 push-ups in a minute right now and really need to start kickin ass.

Card exercise is pretty fun but doubt it helps much with increasing reps.

What I did for the last prt was to do 30 every hour on the hour with 2 max sets a day. I did this for about a week and a half before the PFA.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
On a side note [sorry..I know this has nothing to do with the Navy], but my razors are getting dull before I even use them and it's driving me crazy. I have the gillette mach 3 cartridges. They are pulling on my facial hair rather than slicing through it and cause a lot of irritation on my face.

I think I finally figured it out: does anybody know if storing razors in the bathroom is not a good idea because of the constantly changing humidity dulling the blades?

robav8r

None
Contributor
I found the best results by doing push-ups everyday, slowly increasing the reps every three to four days. My best is 6 sets of 30 - but I'm old and slow. Everyone I have ever talked to said if you want to do a lot of push-ups, you gotta do them everyday.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Every other day I do the card deck exercise for pushups. I flip them over one by one and do the same number of pushups as the card's value ...
Sooooooooo ........ What do you do when the Joker comes up ... ???

Just do somewhere the min/max for PRT and then do one more for Naval Air. Works every time ...
:)

I am living proof ....