• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pushups/ Situps Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhafeman

Do you guys think doing more sets of a smaller number of pushups/situps is more helpful than doing one or two sets of as many as you can do? More helpful in the sense of scoring better on the PRT of course.

farkle84

i would definitely start out smaller. like doing 4 sets of 15 pushups and 4 sets of 25 situps. and every now and then, test yourself by doing the 100 sit ups and however many pushups.

Dave Shutter

The 100 a day plan is a winner! Always start by doing as many as you can as a first set, and then as many sets as it takes to finish the 100 after that. Do this daily for about two weeks and I think you'll be amazed at how many you can do w/o stopping.

hobbs77

What has worked great for me has been: 10 situps rest three seconds, repeat this until you make it to 100. I am currently working as a personal trainer. This will work.

OCS 183 Hopeful

jlinscott

I have been doing them in ladder exercises. You are supposed to do sets of 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 repetitions (for
example, could also be 5,10,15,20,25,20,15,10,5). How I have been doing these are I started by doing the 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 then I went to 2,4,6,8,10,8,6,4,2 and then I did the ladder up and down once and then the next week did up, down, up. Then when I felt good doing up,down,up i went to 3,6,9,12,15,12,9,6,3 and do those up and down once. Then once I had done those for a week I did up, down, up. ETC, ETC, ETC. I have been doing short rests between each set (5-20 seconds).
This type of excercise I got from the Naval academy website but there are a couple of things that were unclear in how to do these. For example, how long of a rest should I be having between the sets? I had
thought about 5-20 seconds but wasn't sure if I should be having more
rest or less, I was just guessing. Also, should I be alternating
between push-ups and sit-ups or should I do all the sit-up sets and
then do all the push-up sets, for best results? Has anyone done these types of exercises for sports or has
anyone been (or is currently at) the Academy, that might be able to
provide me some insight?

Anyway "dhafeman" this is what I have been doing to prepare for push ups and sit ups and it has helped me considerably. Check out the Academy website for more info. I do these on M,Tu,Th, and F. Wednesday is a Pull up and dip day that I also do ladder excercises for.

Now, what do you guys do to help with running? I am good over distances of 3-5 miles (I run 4-6 days a week) but my 1.5 mile time sucks. I can pass the In-prt but I am about 1 minute off of passing the out-prt (and that's on a good day). Any advice is appreciated.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You know, this past summer I was on the Indoc staff for my NROTC unit. I had to get my ass in gear PT-wise and I used the BUDS Warning Order. I still use it for push-ups/sit-ups and I think it works great. Here is the link:

http://www.bupers.navy.mil/pers2/n132d7/Budwarnor3.htm

Check it out, it worked for me, it's worked for friends. Before this, my typical pushup score on the PRT was 75 and my sit-ups was 62. Last PRT I nailed 90 pushups and 90 situps.

Navy ROTC Guy

meb6385

I never even do any pushups, all I did was hit the gym everyday, work out one day of chest, one for back, one for shoulders, and one for arms. And at the end of the workout, 3 sets 35 situps and 3 sets 25 crunches. I always smoke the PRT, pushups are simple after you've been pushing up some real iron, so if you have the time, do some weight lifting.

dhafeman

"jlinscott" Working out on the track (even though it is really boring) has helped me. Start out with a few warmup laps and then alternate fast and slow laps for 3 or 4 miles. After awhile you can start playing around with the sequence (ie.. 2 fast 2 slow, 2 fast 1 slow, etc...) When I first started running I was barely under 11 and now 5 months later am down almost to my goal of 9 minutes. I'm 6'2" 205 so I am not a naturally good runner either.

Based on the reading I have done on here I am convinced every person requires a different strategy to improve PRT scores. My friend and I have "been pushing up some real iron" for many years now and still can't get maximum score on pushups. But I do know people at the gym who never do any pushups on a routine basis and nevertheless can do 100.

hobbs77

Genetics has a lot to do with a persons ability to make progress. What you have to do is find your weaknesses and concentrate on improving them. Once you stop making progress, change your routine to something totally different (more reps less weight for example). It just depends on the way you are put together.

As far as improving running times, interval training (fartleks) works for a lot of people. If your race is 1.5 miles, break it up into 3 half miles and run at a quick pace. In between each half jog at a slow pace.

jaerose

I max out on push-ups and sit-ups every PRT and the strategy I use is to start off with 4-5 sets of 20-25 push-ups and 30-35 sit-ups. I do that for a while until my numbers increase by about 5-10 reps with ease, then switch to doing as many as I can non-stop for a 1-minute set, followed by two 30-second sets for each exercise. Then I just add time to the shorter sets and/or add on more sets. This worked well for me and my BDCP buddy who usually does really well, too. My problem is the run...due to the "I want to get huge and muscular" workout strategy that worked before I joined the Navy...so it's a hinderance. So, I'm trying to become more of a runner/tri-athelete type. Hope that helps. I'd also appreciate any suggestions.

NuSnake

jaerose....
man I'm in the same boat...the whole I wanna get huge deal killed me, I could bench like 320 but could only pump out 60-70 pushups for my PRT, now I'm having to turn into more of that runner/tri-athelete type. Its making it difficult, but I'm getting there. Dropping the size off is the easy part, conditioning my muscles for high reps is the hard part. Oh well. Just thought I'd vent.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Back in high school I played basketball and during conditioning our coach reccomended that we did at least 50 pushups and 100 situps daily. I was one of the few people that actually did this and it really helped...I ended up eventually taking the school record for most pushups during physical fitness testing. Becuase of that I have continued to go by this too this day.

I know also hit the track three days a week, and the pool the other too. I find that not only does it keep me in great shape but it helps me with my school also.

IceMan

what is the correct resting position for pushups? also, is there a time limit for resting? thanks

joe

Hudson

The correct resting position for the push up is up. Feet and hands are on the ground only. You can sag or push your but in the air but the knees can not touch. You can adjust your feet and hands but only one of those off of the ground at a time. So you can shake out an arm at a time. There is no time limit in resting except that you only have two minutes so don't waist valuable time resting when you could and should be pushing. If you are getting tired adjust you feet and arms to different positions there by utilizing slightly different muscle groups. Widening your hands and closing them in helps a lot as you get tired.
Also when you are working out and doing your push ups at home or where ever try doing them at different widths. Dimond push ups are really hard and for me helped boost my numbers when I was in the Army.

Status
Not open for further replies.