• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pushup Workout

Status
Not open for further replies.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
I used the program and after the second week I was at 90 pushups. You should be able to max the PRT if you use the program and then maintain your progress once you complete it. Good Luck!

manny7_99

Ok guys, I am getting ready to start the program. I'll keep a small daily log and upon completion I'll post it. Wish me luck, I am sure it'll be fun.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Its a 2 week program. There are just two options. Once you max your pushups just maintain with a normal push up routine.

Fredster809

Thanks E6, you have to forgive me I am currently a Nuke Enlisted and always try to understand everything to the extreme. A couple of Carrier XO's that were at my training command said I will have to learn to be a true operator and sometimes not care how stuff works. Should be fun.

Integer1

Banned
Good luck manny

Good luck! This looks awesome, would this also work with pull-ups and sit-ups, as well?

What I have heard about push-ups is that if you have the muscle to do 1 push up, you are strong enough for doing many, many push ups. Just doing them all the time improves the recovery rate of the muscles. What about other exercises?

shivvyman

I'll post my results after 1 week on Monday, EVAL day. After you complete week 2 you cycle off the program for a couple of weeks and do something different. However, you can use the program to improve your sit-ups. I'm not sure about pull-ups. I imagine it would probably work, although I could see how by the end of the day you may not be able to do any.

There are other ideas for improving your chin-ups at this article:

http://www.specialtactics.com/MILFIT4.pdf

It contains the push-up routine and explains it along with some other ideas. Its a pretty sweet article.

shivvyman

Well I tested today after completing one week of the program. I am very happy to say the least. I started out with a max of 58 (best every was 60). After one week I now am at 72. I also think I could have pumped out a few more today, but I was so excited about hitting 70 that I didn't push out those last couple of extra reps.

I followed the program as best I could. I also have a job, so I couldn't always get every set in every 30 minutes or hour. However, I did follow the program to the letter as best I could.

I'll post week 2 results next Monday.

If anybody is looking to increase their numbers, this is the program. I wasn't sure if there was anything that could help me, but this program works.

Just do it.

shivvyman

This is a follow-up to week #2 of the program. I re-tested myself yesterday and pushed out 76. I was satisfied, but not overly happy. I was hoping to get around 80. That is up 4 from last week, and a total of 18 pushups from 2 weeks ago (58 to 76). Overall, this program works really well. The first week worked great. The second week was pretty good too, but I think my body started adapting to the process and I didn't gain as much. I also think this might be due to the fact I didn't stick with the program as much as I would have liked. There are several days during week #2 where you should do a set every 15 or 20 minutes. With a job, I simply cannot drop and push out a set whenever I want to. I did do the best I could, but some days I didn't push out as many as I should have.

Also, I think I may have gone a little wide on my grip during yesterday's test day. I felt pretty strong until I hit 60. It was a hard feeling to explain, I didn't feel extremely tired, and my arms weren't burning and my body didn't feel very heavy, but I just could seem to push out any more. My left side was a little weaker than my right, and I felt much more fatigue in my chest than in my triceps. I should have brought my elbows in and tried to squeeze out a few more simply using more tricep power.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased. This workout isn't that bad or a real killer. Granted there were a couple of days where I was dying. I believe one day when I couldn't even finish the required amount (I think this was the day I did them every 20 minutes). However, most of the days are relatively straight forward. I prefer doing 20 sets a day of 30 pushups compared to 3 sets of pushups to absolute failure. I hate trying to push myself for 3 sets to the max.

I'm cycling off the program and am just going to do 10 sets of 30 for the next couple of weeks before I hit up the program again in a month or two.

manny7_99

Oh! you wuss!!

shivvyman said:
This is a follow-up to week #2 of the program. I re-tested myself yesterday and pushed out 76. I was satisfied, but not overly happy. I was hoping to get around 80. That is up 4 from last week, and a total of 18 pushups from 2 weeks ago (58 to 76). Overall, this program works really well. The first week worked great. The second week was pretty good too, but I think my body started adapting to the process and I didn't gain as much. I also think this might be due to the fact I didn't stick with the program as much as I would have liked. There are several days during week #2 where you should do a set every 15 or 20 minutes. With a job, I simply cannot drop and push out a set whenever I want to. I did do the best I could, but some days I didn't push out as many as I should have.

Also, I think I may have gone a little wide on my grip during yesterday's test day. I felt pretty strong until I hit 60. It was a hard feeling to explain, I didn't feel extremely tired, and my arms weren't burning and my body didn't feel very heavy, but I just could seem to push out any more. My left side was a little weaker than my right, and I felt much more fatigue in my chest than in my triceps. I should have brought my elbows in and tried to squeeze out a few more simply using more tricep power.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased. This workout isn't that bad or a real killer. Granted there were a couple of days where I was dying. I believe one day when I couldn't even finish the required amount (I think this was the day I did them every 20 minutes). However, most of the days are relatively straight forward. I prefer doing 20 sets a day of 30 pushups compared to 3 sets of pushups to absolute failure. I hate trying to push myself for 3 sets to the max.

I'm cycling off the program and am just going to do 10 sets of 30 for the next couple of weeks before I hit up the program again in a month or two.

felt like complaining huh? J/K
really good post, I'd suggest you take a few days off, may be even a week or two and then test again...you may see some gain after the "recover" period

shivvyman

Well, its time for update #3. I went off of the program for a week and did something similar, but not as extreme. I did 8-10 sets a day of a varying number of pushups depending on the day. I went as low as 25 to as high as 40. Sometimes I rested 45 minutes in between sets, other times it was as long as 2 1/2 hours. Basically, I just tried to get in my 8-10, without worrying about doing them every 60 minutes or some restricted time limit. Basically, this week, I was looking to maintain what I had earned the previous two weeks.

Much to my surprise, I maxed out at 83 today, an improvment of 7 reps from the previous weeks. In three weeks I have gone from a max of 58 to 83. I was pretty shocked to see myself getting over 75. I was honestly going to be happy with anything over 70, but I was pretty excited to get over 80. I felt really strong when I hit 70 (I was tired, but I wasn't dead), so I knew I had a new max in me. I'm not sure why I did so well today. I am thinking that it was due to a lighter week, somewhat of a recover week from the previous two stressful weeks. It has been around 5 weeks since I first started training situps/pushups/run. I initially started at 48 reps, so I have come along nicely. Another 5 reps and I will be maxing out my chart. However, I want max-out the 17-19 year old chart, rather than mine, so it looks like I really have another 9 reps to go.

Whats funny about all this is that I have even yet to apply. I plan on taking the ASTB in a week or two, and then I'll go from there. Realistically, I won't have to test for a recruiter (if I EVEN get in) for another 3 months. Oh well, guess I'll just be prepared ahead of time.

All I know is those bastards better let me in after working my ass off the previous couple of months. I'm not running miles every day and doing thousands of pushups and hundreds of situps each week for kicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.