• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pursuing a career in law or SNA

johnboyA6E

None
'90, Between winging and the A6 rag , i was stashed in hometown recruiting for a month or so. One of my jobs, during my 3-4 hour shift, was to interview NROTC candidates. One guy really wanted JAG, and asked me "if I get selected for JAG, do I go to flight school before or after law school"...........

I also had a buddy who finished his first flying tour in A-6's then went to law school to become a JAG, so I guess anything is possible...

Lionel Hutz

pilot
I was a Naval Aviator, got out at MSR, went to law school, then JAG. If I would have gone to law school right after undergrad, I would have regretted it for the rest of my life. Also, someone mentioned LEP - that's almost impossible for aviators because by the time you reach MSR, you're too senior for LEP (you have to be under 6 years commissioned service - at least that was the rule a few years ago).

Let me know if you have any questions.

MGoBrew11

pilot
I was a Naval Aviator, got out at MSR, went to law school, then JAG. If I would have gone to law school right after undergrad, I would have regretted it for the rest of my life. Also, someone mentioned LEP - that's almost impossible for aviators because by the time you reach MSR, you're too senior for LEP (you have to be under 6 years commissioned service - at least that was the rule a few years ago).

Let me know if you have any questions.
How did you swing this if I might ask? Just out of curiosity. Too late for me as I’m in TAR now…I looked into this but it looked like you couldn’t come back in as a JAG if you had already been a commissioned officer when I did the surface level research. I’m still considering law school after a 20 year career.

OP: I was planning on law school before I decided to go to OCS instead. Law school and a career as an attorney will always be there. Even after 20 years in the Navy with a pension if you stick it out that long. Your chance to fly aircraft off of ships and see the world is now. I’ll leave it at that.

Lionel Hutz

pilot
How did you swing this if I might ask? Just out of curiosity. Too late for me as I’m in TAR now…I looked into this but it looked like you couldn’t come back in as a JAG if you had already been a commissioned officer when I did the surface level research. I’m still considering law school after a 20 year career.

OP: I was planning on law school before I decided to go to OCS instead. Law school and a career as an attorney will always be there. Even after 20 years in the Navy with a pension if you stick it out that long. Your chance to fly aircraft off of ships and see the world is now. I’ll leave it at that.
Just applied as a "Student Program" candidate like any other law student. I knew at least 10 other prior service officers that did this. They called us "free LEPs" because the JAGC got prior commissioned officers without having to pay for our law school!

MGoBrew11

pilot
Just applied as a "Student Program" candidate like any other law student. I knew at least 10 other prior service officers that did this. They called us "free LEPs" because the JAGC got prior commissioned officers without having to pay for our law school!
But on the Navy side did you get your rank, time in service etc back right away? What were those hoops like? Navy never makes it as easy as it should be…

Maybe I’m thinking of JAG reserves. I think their page said you couldn’t be a prior military officer…maybe different requirements for the active component.

Lionel Hutz

pilot
But on the Navy side did you get your rank, time in service etc back right away? What were those hoops like? Navy never makes it as easy as it should be…

Maybe I’m thinking of JAG reserves. I think their page said you couldn’t be a prior military officer…maybe different requirements for the active component.
So, it could be a reserve thing - I know exactly zero about how the reserve side works. But for active, prior service officers all came in with all our full time in service for pay and retirement purposes, and we all reset as brand new LTs for paygrade purposes (so I was an O-3, over 9 years on the pay chart). Non-priors came in as LTJGs and were promoted to LT after one year of commissioned service.

MGoBrew11

pilot
So, it could be a reserve thing - I know exactly zero about how the reserve side works. But for active, prior service officers all came in with all our full time in service for pay and retirement purposes, and we all reset as brand new LTs for paygrade purposes (so I was an O-3, over 9 years on the pay chart). Non-priors came in as LTJGs and were promoted to LT after one year of commissioned service.
Cool to know, thanks!