• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ptad

Malice 1

pilot
I'm in line to get on PTAD before I pick up with Alpha Co. WHo's done it before? What exactly do you do on PTAD?

The local OSO said I will primarily be strutting around in my dress blues, acting like a little USMC poster child while he takes down phone #'s at University career days.

I know there is more to it than that. Do you have to go into the office every day? I always assumed that I would spend all day at a desk answering the phone and replying to emails.

Who has the PTAD gouge?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I suppose it depends on the OSO. From February - May we had a 2nd Lt on PTAD at my OSO. He ended up coming in pretty much everyday, but part of that was because both OSA's were leaving and we were a bit shortstaffed in the office. He came in and worked out with the candidates, answered the phone, went to job fairs to look pretty in his dress blues. Seemed pretty laid-back to me.

USMCRugger

FYI, Permissive Temporary Additional Duty (PTAD) is an administrative absence from your regular duties. In simple terms it's "free" leave. Here's the link to the MCO on leave, liberty and admin absence regulations (chapter 5-2).

USMCRugger

Sorry about that, here's the link, http://www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/0dce83e13c9c8aa685256c0c0066c2e0/6674892c1cfc9c4985256a41005a6565/$FILE/MCO%20P1050.3H%20W%20CH%201-3.pdf

Malice 1

pilot
USMCBill said:
Sorry about that, here's the link, http://www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/0dce83e13c9c8aa685256c0c0066c2e0/6674892c1cfc9c4985256a41005a6565/$FILE/MCO%20P1050.3H%20W%20CH%201-3.pdf

Thanks for the link. Unfortunatley, I don't read or speak beaurecrat yet, so it wasn't too useful to me. I'm trying to get fluent in the language.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
I did PTAD last year before reporting to Alpha Company. I did report almost every day but the working hours were like 09 to 1500. And factor in a solid hour for chow. All the free coffee you can drink. Getting Lt. pay was a big jump in pay from my college job. You might have to do some job fairs at some universities in your area, but that's fun because all the other services are there too and you get to laugh at them.

You also get the chance to work with some of the candidates in the pool, that can be pretty fun too. I really liked the gig. But my OSO is an aviator and he's cool as hell. You might not be that lucky. Risk vs. Gain.

Fongabonga

pilot
I'm PTAding right now before API and the OSO i work for made the other LT stamp, staple and shred probably over 20,000 pamphlets, flyers and documents before I reported in. She also doesn't let us leave early if theres nothing to do and has us sit around and play 'switch'. I'd say be really upfront and ask them what they're going to have you do while you're there. I'm getting dragged down to Cherry Point for a week right before I go back to Pcola, I thought the reason for PTADing was so I can go home and be with family and friends while still working?? Good luck, I'm sure my case is an exceptional one.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Hey Fong, don't feel bad. I've been playing 'switch' since I got to Pensacola last week. And it looks like I'll be playing it until October. Man do I love a good game of switch.

Malice 1

pilot
PSno23 said:
Hey Fong, don't feel bad. I've been playing 'switch' since I got to Pensacola last week. And it looks like I'll be playing it until October. Man do I love a good game of switch.

What is "switch"?

The OSO I will be be with is really chill. I have no doubt that he will cut me some slack, if there is slack to be cut. He is in charge of the DC area, so he's really busy.

I've been waiting for a really long time to get on payroll. I'll play bull**** games if it means a good paycheck. $8/hr sucks.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Switch is when you sit around with a thumb up your butt, then after a period of time, switch to your other thumb. Repeat this all day/week/month/year/etc. It's a great way to pass the time.

Malice 1

pilot
PSno23 said:
Switch is when you sit around with a thumb up your butt, then after a period of time, switch to your other thumb. Repeat this all day/week/month/year/etc. It's a great way to pass the time.

Did someone say "PSP"?

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
PSno23 said:

I neglected to explain an integral part of this game. While one thumb is up the butt, your other thumb is in your mouth. Then you switch thumbs. Then repeat (sorry, rinsing and washing is against the rules in this game).

:D :D :D