• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PTAD, TBS dates, jobs, etc

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I asked my OSO HRA what she thought my TBS date would be and she told me that she wouldn't know until 2 weeks before I commission and she gets my paperwork (in 2 months), but that a new LT received a TBS date of March 2010.

So I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do if I can expect a date like that. I asked about PTAD as a recruiters assistant and was told that you request it when your OSO gets your paperwork, but it isn't always an option because they may already have all they need. So I figured I would call a bunch of OSO's in places where I have family/friends so perhaps I could stay with them and not pay/pay little rent.

Then I start googling and reading the MARADMINS and see that you can only do PTAD for 60 days, but I might get stuck waiting for TBS close to a year... so I started wondering if it might be better to find a civilian job for this time period. Edit: I was also considering going back to school and taking classes towards a masters or another degree.

What do you, who have been there done that or who are in this situation, recommend? Is my info accurate? Are there any opportunities that I am not aware of?

Thank you.

joemcspeed

You're not alone. Im a flight contract that graduated OCS Aug '08 and have STILL yet to get a commission. If either of us are lucky we can get the OCT start date for TBS.

As for PTAD funds are limited in every region and they are limiting how long you can stay on. But yes, you can contact other OSO's for PTAD opportunities. Good Luck Bud, Ive already got calls in on the West Coast.

Going back to school sounds like an awesome idea. As I have a finance degree and you can guess how far those are going these days, Im working the most humble job at a lumber company. A step towards your masters today will be huge when you're a capt. or major looking to go to the war college.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
You're not alone. Im a flight contract that graduated OCS Aug '08 and have STILL yet to get a commission. If either of us are lucky we can get the OCT start date for TBS.

As for PTAD funds are limited in every region and they are limiting how long you can stay on. But yes, you can contact other OSO's for PTAD opportunities. Good Luck Bud, Ive already got calls in on the West Coast.

Going back to school sounds like an awesome idea. As I have a finance degree and you can guess how far those are going these days, Im working the most humble job at a lumber company. A step towards your masters today will be huge when you're a capt. or major looking to go to the war college.

One prob I have is that I don't have a degree like yours.. my aeronautical science degree is worthless. I think that if I ever want to get a meaningful masters then I'm going to have to go back to school and get a real undergrad degree. Maybe I'll go take a foreign language class at a local CC for $250 bux and try to build on that later. Can you get into an MBA program w/o having a bachelors in business/finance/etc?

joemcspeed

Of course you could, but why would you. Everyone has an MBA these days. You dont need to come from the finance or business colleges to receive an MBA. You have a specialized degree, you should continue down that path. What would be next?

Lonestar155

is good to go
So have any of you seen the 2010 TBS dates? I doubt that they are out yet, but I am hoping they have a January class. This year, the first class date was in March.

Lonestar155

is good to go
I asked my OSO HRA what she thought my TBS date would be and she told me that she wouldn't know until 2 weeks before I commission and she gets my paperwork (in 2 months), but that a new LT received a TBS date of March 2010.

Have you submitted your RFA document in?If you submitted your paperwork after you graduated from OCS and requested an early TBS date you should be fine for an upcoming TBS date this year.

flyboy2199

Just got a call from my OSO yesterday saying that bed space at TBS is full and I'll be going in OCT. Meanwhile I'll be finding a part time job---again

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
So have any of you seen the 2010 TBS dates? I doubt that they are out yet, but I am hoping they have a January class. This year, the first class date was in March.

Someone out there knows what they are, because a LT from our office got assigned to March

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Have you submitted your RFA document in?If you submitted your paperwork after you graduated from OCS and requested an early TBS date you should be fine for an upcoming TBS date this year.

Yeah, I requested September back in Sept/Oct '08... doubt I'll get it though

sanders

I commissioned a little over a week ago. Me and the 8 other fresh LT's got Oct 20 for our TBS date. We all want PTAD, but the OSO says there may be a problem getting us on PTAD since they are not allowed to have ptad LT's cross fiscal years or something?? We are all pretty confused about the situation.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I commissioned a little over a week ago. Me and the 8 other fresh LT's got Oct 20 for our TBS date. We all want PTAD, but the OSO says there may be a problem getting us on PTAD since they are not allowed to have ptad LT's cross fiscal years or something?? We are all pretty confused about the situation.

I was told the same thing... I think when they say crossover they are talking about your PTAD duty crossing over (and not those who commission in FY09 can't do PTAD in another FY?). FY09 ends 30sep and thats within 60 days of your TBS date.

When did you submit your request for appointment?

Here's this

https://www.marines.usmc.mil/G3/Off...or to TBS for Newly Commissioned Officers.pdf

But it also says your supposed to go to TBS in the FY that you commission..

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I commissioned early summer of '06 and went to TBS in Jan '07. In the meantime I worked on the loading dock at a warehouse, and it sucked. That was not uncommon for my peers. Some also decided that a master's was a better gig and few did that.

sanders

Yea its pretty confusing. The link that whitsoxnation posted says that pilot contracts should report to TBS 70 days prior to TBS report date. Does anybody know... does this actually happen? My OSO says that it depends on my orders and they do not know if I will be able to do IFS before TBS. Since my report date is 20 Oct, I guess its possible I will be heading up there around 10 August. This would not cross me into another FY... so I don't see the pay issue here. I think I need to go talk to my OSO...

torpedo0126

Yea its pretty confusing. The link that whitsoxnation posted says that pilot contracts should report to TBS 70 days prior to TBS report date. Does anybody know... does this actually happen? My OSO says that it depends on my orders and they do not know if I will be able to do IFS before TBS. Since my report date is 20 Oct, I guess its possible I will be heading up there around 10 August. This would not cross me into another FY... so I don't see the pay issue here. I think I need to go talk to my OSO...

I am not a Marine, but two of my friends who just completed TBS both had orders to show up within a week of there start date.

They also told me that there were a bunch of people who had been there for awhile just waiting in Mike Company.

Sounds like the OSO is probably is right.

sanders

In your last post, did you mean that the guys you know were going to show up to IFS within a week of graduation, or API? Thanks