• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PTAD question post TBS

Shadow9660

Question: How do I go about submitting a PTAD request for the time after TBS and before IFS? Is there a form I get from admin on my end ? When does the recruiter come into play? Any info would help...thanks.

riley

Are you staying in Quantico or going to P'Cola for IFS? If you come down to P'Cola your request would go through officer control at MATSG-21.

You would work with your recruiter before submitting the request.

My answers are vague because that is all I know - I don't want to suppose something and give you bad gouge.

Another question is why are you doing PTAD before IFS? Is there a wait to class up, or are you just looking for free leave back home? The API wait is backing up more and more. Determining when you start API is a mixture of class standing at TBS and check-in date at MATSG-21.

Shadow9660

sorry i should have specified.....Charlie co. aviation IFS is ALL at quantico, but they aren't starting us until oct 24th at IFS, and we grad. on the 6th. My question was if there is a form I need to fill out....or is it strictly word of mouth via the recruiter to my staff?

Malice 1

pilot
Quick question: why does everyone want PTAD in between TBS and API, or TBS and IFS?

Do we not get paid in the downtime between the two schools?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Malice 1 said:
Quick question: why does everyone want PTAD in between TBS and API, or TBS and IFS?

Do we not get paid in the downtime between the two schools?

People want PTAD so that they can keep doing useful stuff between schools, especially with the long delay...right now about 4 months or more...

Yes you do get paid between schools as you will still be on Active Duty...

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
not neccessarily useful stuff but it is usually to go somewhere you want such as home or where you went to school and not have to take leave because you will still be working.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wouldn't count on getting PTAD for a short delay like that. Suck it up and burn the leave; you'll have plenty of it for later. You can always go in the hole and you'll have no problem building it back up during flight school. The likelihood of them approving leave for that time outweighs the likelihood of PTAD by a great margin.

Malice 1

pilot
jamnww said:
People want PTAD so that they can keep doing useful stuff between schools, especially with the long delay...right now about 4 months or more...

Yes you do get paid between schools as you will still be on Active Duty...

Thats noble.

Another question: Are we allowed to get a second job outside of the military while on our 4+ month waiting period? Obviously, we couldn't do anything real stressful or physically taxing, but could we work part time under the table or something?

Crowbar

None
"Under the table" isn't the best way to do anything, especially when you are the FNG. If you're sitting at Pensacola for months waiting to start IFS just tell MATSG what your plans are and they should work with you. Secondary employment sometimes requires command approval in the fleet, and typically students aren't allowed to have an outside job, but I think people understand how those waits can go. Just expect to be told something along the lines of 'as soon as a spot opens up for you, the job needs to move towards the bottom of your priority list.'

Also, most people want PTAD so they can sit at home and not have any adult supervision. In the words of a very wise man (my company XO), those people "need to cut the frickin' cord".

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
Malice 1 said:
Another question: Are we allowed to get a second job outside of the military while on our 4+ month waiting period? Obviously, we couldn't do anything real stressful or physically taxing, but could we work part time under the table or something?

I knew a dude that bartended part time while going through HT's, kind of just a way to meet people. Obviously if you are struggling it is not a good idea, but to me it doesn't seem any worse than any other hobby if it is enjoyable, stress-free, and doesn't interfere with your primary responsibilities.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
nocal80 said:
I knew a dude that bartended part time while going through HT's, kind of just a way to meet people. Obviously if you are struggling it is not a good idea, but to me it doesn't seem any worse than any other hobby if it is enjoyable, stress-free, and doesn't interfere with your primary responsibilities.

I have also heard of people who get 2nd jobs as a type of stress relief...If you are doing it for something else and if it is going to add stress then might not be a good idea

Texan

Why enemy pilots dont sleep well
So what exactly are you doing during the wait if you dont get PTAD (someone please write out the acronym for me) and you dont want to burn leave?