• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PT at TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malice 1

pilot
What kind of PT events do you do at TBS? How often? Did you all end up going to the gym, PTing, etc... in the evenings after the work day was over?

I am slated to start TBS is November. SInce I already live in the area, I am throwing around the idea of buying a membership at a local gym. Most of the local places only offer year long contracts. I don't want to waste my money on a membership if I will only use it for a few months. Were you guys too smoked at the end of the day to go work out?

Supposedly Quantico has a very nice new gym, that is open to all Marines. I can't even imagine how crowded it is. Naturally, I ought to investigate before I draw conclusions, but it seems to me that the base gym would be a circus considering the volume of young Marines at Quantico. Plus, the salty fleet Marines probably don't want hoardes of leiutenidates getting in thier way, right?

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Malice 1 said:
Plus, the salty fleet Marines probably don't want hoardes of leiutenidates getting in thier way, right?
Who cares? MWR facilities are "all hands." You pay taxes = it's your gym too. Don't let the fact that you're new stop you from using one of YOUR privileges.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Malice 1 said:
Plus, the salty fleet Marines probably don't want hoardes of leiutenidates getting in thier way, right?

Fvck them! It's your gym too. You own just as much of it as they do.

Crowbar

None
Boy, this one's already well on its way to being on the toilet.

PT varies from company to company and platoon to platoon. You'll get such a different mix of answers, some platoons get thrashed every time they PT, others do enough MCMAP that most of the platoon moves up a belt, some play basketball, if they even PT at all.

The Camp Barrett gym sucks. Plain and simple it's just crap. They have a good selection of dumbells, that's about it. WTBN has from what I hear a decent gym. I never went there, but some of my buddies told me it was nice. I asked one day to rate it on a scale of 1-10 for functionality and was told it was about a 7. The mainside gym (Barber Gym, I think) is relatively new. Everything in it is new, it's very clean, and pretty big. The "fitness deck" is about 40/60 cardio machines and weights, which pretty much reflects the emphasis on running.
Before I came to TBS I was at the gym religiously. Typically 5 days a week, running 4-6 times per week. Since I've been here, I've been to the gym about once a month and run about once a month on my own (that's gone up a little since FEX III). Some people manage to go more, but after being herded around with 250+ other people for the majority of the day, I just couldn't find the energy to do any form of exercise.

Reactions: E5B

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A bunch of us joined the Gold's gym in garrisonville. It was only like $50/mo no contract and it was a LOT closer than WTBN or Mainside. Plus, it had all the amenities of a real gym (a/c too...friggin larsons) and paying for it was a little added motivation. Getting away from Camp Barrett was nice too.

Ajax

2nd Inc. India Co. 2nd PLT. 2005
Was running or boots and utes part of the weekly curriculum at TBS?? Or was the focus more on leadership? For example, did you guys start off your days with a squad run or something like that?

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
We didn't run or PT much as a platoon, maybe once a week. It is a good idea to PT on your own because little things like the E course or the double O course can sneak up on you in a hurry. Don't be the dude that can't get his fat @ss up the rope on the second leg of the double O. The camp barrett gym was nothing spectacular but you could defintely get a good workout in there. I was usually able to lift 3 times a week unless we were in the field. weapons training bn gym is about twice the size of the camp barrett gym but other than is in about the same condition. At least that's how it was a couple years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.