• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT Training

coxjc05

SNA 2009
Crossfit

I've been doing CrossFit for two years now. There is nothing that compares. If you augment the daily WOD with a 5k run a few times a week, you shouldn't have to focus on any specific part of exercise for the PRT.

swerdna

None
Contributor
I started working out with the cards from www.fitdeck.com and I really like it. They were invented by a former SEAL who used to use the playing card method (flip the card over, do however many reps that the number is). I run 5 min, do 30 cards, and jog for 10 min. They have booster packs but the original is my favorite. If you do the cards in a row, it is basically a cardio workout in itself.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I prefer the sit on my ass at home method...augmented with a frantic 20-day running/push-up/sit-up regimen designed to just get me in under the PRT limits...oh, and a few cigarettes after the 1.5 run to make the nausea go away!

Gilley

So for the physical test for all that is required is a 1.5 mile run in under 10:52, Sit ups (above 84) Push ups (above 67) a a 500 yd swim under 8:53 and a 500m swim under 8:43? I am out of shape and first day of trainning i did all of this except for the swim, but I was just too tired. there has to be more. have any of you taken it?

lmnop

So for the physical test for all that is required is a 1.5 mile run in under 10:52, Sit ups (above 84) Push ups (above 67) a a 500 yd swim under 8:53 and a 500m swim under 8:43? I am out of shape and first day of trainning i did all of this except for the swim, but I was just too tired. there has to be more. have any of you taken it?

What PT test is this that you're referring to? I only ask because most specialty PT test in the Navy that require a run AND a swim also require pullups, and I don't know of any tests that require two swims. Maybe I'm just misreading something here.

Leviticus

pro-rec SNA
My brother is a training instructor at USAFA for the 4 years...while he was home for the break he wrote a plan for me to follow. Within a week my pu's and su's jumped 15-20 more for my PRT. I was running 3.3 miles a day for 5 days and running the first 1.65 in 16 and the last 1.65 in 15 or less. Within two weeks my 13:30 1.5 became at 10:27. I'm still sticking to his plan just increasing the number of pu's and su's I do as well as the time for the bridges and leaning rests. Follow it as he has written it, it will help. Push yourself and don't quit when it sucks. :)

warmp up

50 jumping jacks
15 shoulder presses
20 body squats

work out

Push ups, to failure (no pausing, just keep going...you will fail at some point, but don't pause to get an extra rep)

no break

crunches (like they'll have you do on the test) to failure, no breaks up top or at the bottom

no break

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10...and back down push ups/shoulder presses (do one push up, flip over do should press...do not let knees hit ground)

2 minute break

crunches (like the ones tested) for 1 minute, no pausing...

no break

6 inches for 1 minute

no break

bridges (ab exercise, not push up position..you get these confused) 1 minute don't give up.

15 leg raises (from six inches to 90)

1 minute break

30 push ups at least

no rest

front leaning rest (push up position) at least 1 minute

30 second break

Push ups, as many as possible.

1 minute break

Crunches (like the ones tested) as many as possible, aim for 50 at least.

Break for 5-10 minutes.

3 mile run, etc.

DFSpence

I am a huge fan of the PT Pyramid, which I found on military.com

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/fitness-test-prep/pt-pyramid

Smith_072304.jpg

I will frequently do it before strength training or before a run. Also you can throw in lunges or whatever you want into the pyramid. This is especially a great way to increase your pullup ability.

Gilley

What PT test is this that you're referring to? I only ask because most specialty PT test in the Navy that require a run AND a swim also require pullups, and I don't know of any tests that require two swims. Maybe I'm just misreading something here.
Navy OCS for application and entry and i meant OR no AND

that pyramid is sweet thanks for posting it i am going to try it right now......

DFSpence

Glad you liked it Gilley. Another reason I like the pyramid is that it has a warm up and cool down built into it. You start out doing just 1 pullup, 2 pushups and 3 situps and gradually build up to 6/12/18 respectively and then back down to 1/2/3. It totals out to 36 pullups, 72 pushups, and 108 situps I believe, plus you can do it in 15 or 20 minutes.

Gilley

Yes and im not strong at all (arm strength) I can do the swim and run the 1.5 miles and do the sit ups but im at about 45 max push ups and ten pull ups so im really trying to overload with out overloading to get some strength in my arms and shoulders. Im 6 ft 1 150 lbs so i need a little weight gain. Never been good at gaining weight though. so yes this really seems to warm you up as you go and i just got back from the YMCA swimming 600 m and running 2 miles. So even as tired as i was it seemed a little easier because your constantly changing giving each body part a little time to rest.

DFSpence

Count your calories. Make sure you eat more calories than you burn - I'm 6'0 188lbs. Also, do some heavy leg workouts a couple of times a week. Legs are where you can pack on weight easily, plus the additional strength will help with all the running and swimming. Too bad you haven't played rugby for 4 years, I've got leg strength to spare :D

Gilley

Yeah my freshmen year of high school i weighed 105 lbs and joined the football team, my sophomore year i weighed 135, by my senior year i was at 165, then at the end of my freshman year in college i was at 150 and it declined to about 138, and now im back up. I will take that advice though and do some legs every tues and thurs. I have had a light week this week cause some stupid lady pulled out and didn't look and almost hit me on my moring run on tuesday and i twisted my knee i still ran it off but the next day it hurt like hell so i took off a day and then went back at it and it hurt like hell again but i did some light stuff today and its a little sore but feeling much better, i still may hold off a week before i do some heavy lifting.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
Update on PRT scoring:

It was mentioned in an older post that your PRT score was limited to your lowest category. For example you get an outstanding high on push-ups and situps, but only get a satisfactory marginal on your run, then you were stuck with a satisfactory marginal overall. Just to set the record straight for people looking for current PRT gouge, this is no longer the case. They now average your scores out.