• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT Training

Lola

Hey guys-

Has anyone tried the Navy PRT training plans listed at www.navy-prt.com? Is there anything you'd change??

Does anyone know of any other useful plans--including diet/nutrition info??

Thanks!

I've printed the PRT training guides and made up an excel spreadsheet of them all in one....I have yet to follow it though! And if anyone has tips on how to do better on the pushups, pass those along please ...

Nikki2184

The PRT standards are a good place to start from, but if you are training for OCS, you're gonna have a bit more than sit-ups, push-ups and the run to worry about. DIs are great at inventing horrible, nearly impossible exercises. As silly as it sounds, if you can do some bare crawls (getting on all fours with your butt in the air) and LOTS of leg lifts (hold your legs out 6 inches as long as you possibly can, lift them up to 90 degrees and rest for a couple seconds then repeat until not able to stand), side-straddle hops (jumping jacks, clapping your hands behind your back) you'd have a small head start. As for push-ups, try lifting your legs about a foot or so off the ground, doing 3 sets of as many as you can. Do 3 sets of regular maxed out push-ups. Then do 3 sets with your arms elevated or against the wall. If you do this a couple times a day for a couple weeks it should really help. And make sure you practice some diamond push-ups too.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I've printed the PRT training guides and made up an excel spreadsheet of them all in one....I have yet to follow it though! And if anyone has tips on how to do better on the pushups, pass those along please ...
20 pushups on the hour every hour.

If you do a search on the forum, there is plenty of workout advice on here.

The best workout is one that pushes your abilities but still doesn't deter you from going to the gym. This is different for everybody. I've always been an Outstanding on the PRT and I use the following workout when training.

40 pushups
40 situps
30 dips
max out pullups

I repeat the above 4 exercises without breaks for 3 or 4 sets. Then finish with a 3 mile run. If you can't do 40 pushups or situps, do 20. Ensure you are using the proper form, that is what is important. I perform this workout an average of 3 days a week while in training.

DON'T OVER DO IT.

I know right now, the Navy SEALs are incorporating the Crossfit program. I have no personal experience with this program but I hear it works wonders.

Lobster

I've said this before and its kind of simple but it works, when you're watching TV and a commercial comes on crank out push ups and sit ups until the regular program comes back on and do that the entire time you're watching. No couch potato ;).

BullGator

Extreme PRT Training:

I was told that i need to get an excellent-low for the PRT, and have a month to get there from a good-low; therefore, I am going to be training as hard as possible so I don't have to wait 2 months to submit my package.

My question is: How many days a week should I do each training part (running, pushups, and situps)?

As I understand it now, I shouldn't run more than 5 days a week, but I have no idea how many max days a week is possible for situps and pushups. I am asking so I don't injure myself. As of now, I think 7 days a week would be possible for pushups and 6 maybe for situps. I also don't want to plattue or "hit a wall" and not keep increasing my numbers.

gusthebus229

this may sound kinda funny but believe it or not those perfect pushup things on tv worked wonders for me. i can do 3 or 4 times as many reps now from before i got them. thats just my experience though.

gusthebus229

....I think 7 days a week would be possible for pushups and 6 maybe for situps. I also don't want to plattue or "hit a wall" and not keep increasing my numbers.

situps i've been told you can do everyday because the muscle group is large enough, but you're actually doing more harm than good by doing pushups everyday. your muscles break down during resistance workouts and if you don't give them a day or two between intense use they will never have time to rebuild and no strength gains will be made. for pushups i would work them as hard as you want/can 3 days a week

In the past I've used what my friends call the "deck of cards workout" which basically entails flipping a card and doing double the number of a given exercise as designated by the card value and rotating between situps, pushups, and squats.

Basically, you flip card and if its a 5 for example you do 10 pushups, flip a card do double the amount of situps or crunches, etc...and do it until the deck runs out. I swear by this technique. You will get jacked and be tired as hell and you don't need a single weight or gym membership.

BullGator

Extreme PRT Training:
I was told that i need to get an excellent-low for the PRT, and have a month to get there from a good-low; therefore, I am going to be training as hard as possible so I don't have to wait 2 months to submit my package.

My question is: How many days a week should I do each training part (running, pushups, and situps)?

As I understand it now, I shouldn't run more than 5 days a week, but I have no idea how many max days a week is possible for situps and pushups. I am asking so I don't injure myself. As of now, I think 7 days a week would be possible for pushups and 6 maybe for situps. I also don't want to plattue or "hit a wall" and not keep increasing my numbers.
situps i've been told you can do everyday because the muscle group is large enough, but you're actually doing more harm than good by doing pushups everyday. your muscles break down during resistance workouts and if you don't give them a day or two between intense use they will never have time to rebuild and no strength gains will be made. for pushups i would work them as hard as you want/can 3 days a week
3 days/week for pushups seems very light, are you sure about that? I may cut it down to 5, but I need to be doing some "extreme training"...

Does anyone have any more advice?

HueyCobra8151

pilot
When I was 18 I picked up Arnold Schwarzenneger Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding and started doing his competition workout program. This worked for about 2 weeks, and then I found myself mentally not wanting to workout (sign of over-training) and always being slightly injured in one way or another(another sign of over-training). I then bounced back and forth between not training at all and going all out 100% for awhile until I figured out what I personally needed to do.

What I mean is that what works great for some people, will be absolutely non-functional for other people. You need to find out what level your body can perform at, and then go from there. Everyone on this website could tell you how many times you can do pushups/situps/whatever, but the bottom line is that you are an individual with specific abilities and needs. There is no set-in-stone scientific explanation to simpy do X amount of exercises Y times per week for Z amount of weeks to attain the results you want.

If 7 days works for you, great. If 5 works for you, great. 3 could be effective too. I can't tell you, and neither can anyone else.

dimlight85

bears, beets, battlestar galactica.
I've done Arnold's workouts from that book and they are heartstoppers if you do them the way he has them laid out. Not to mention, you work every muscle group every other day. The only time that can work without over training is when you take some illegal substances to enhance your performance...what are those called?...oh yeah, supplements.

el douge

This one time at band camp...
When I was 18 I picked up Arnold Schwarzenneger Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding and started doing his competition workout program. This worked for about 2 weeks, and then I found myself mentally not wanting to workout (sign of over-training) and always being slightly injured in one way or another(another sign of over-training). I then bounced back and forth between not training at all and going all out 100% for awhile until I figured out what I personally needed to do.

What I mean is that what works great for some people, will be absolutely non-functional for other people. You need to find out what level your body can perform at, and then go from there. Everyone on this website could tell you how many times you can do pushups/situps/whatever, but the bottom line is that you are an individual with specific abilities and needs. There is no set-in-stone scientific explanation to simpy do X amount of exercises Y times per week for Z amount of weeks to attain the results you want.

If 7 days works for you, great. If 5 works for you, great. 3 could be effective too. I can't tell you, and neither can anyone else.

Roger that. You just need to try a bunch of different exercises and find out what works for you. When that happens you will see the fastest results. Don't work out sore muscles and be sure to stretch before and after a workout. Good luck!