• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT Test

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
Still total bullshit. Running will make you much faster if you incorporate sprinting with LSD runs to improve endurance. You do not need to lift weights to go from a 13 minute 1.5mi to a 9 minute 1.5mi.
+1

I'm pushing 30 and have had faster runtimes than I did during boot camp at the age of 18 since I started marathon training (which is awesome since I'm allotted more time for the run based on my age). weights and a gym are not necessary for significant improvement in run time.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
If you run enough you'll actually start to tolerate it.

FIFY. When it becomes easier and you don't feel like you're going to die, it's not as bad. I went from literally not being able to run half a mile to a 5k over a few months (a really slow one), got faster, then extended to half marathon distances later on. I'd say initial training for the PRT should be 5k training, then once you can comfortably do that 2-3x week, switch over to interval training to build in speed.

WeatherGoddess

The Nike+ is a good tool to use when running, it gives you a constant update to the pace you are running and you can even program a motivational song to play if your pace gets too low. But as many people in here have said, best way to improve your run is to run. You want to mix it up and stop your muscles from getting complacent, throw sprints in there one day a week as well as distance. One thing I usually throw into my FEP sessions (I am a CFL) is interval training, sprinting followed by jogging. It really improves your run time.

Wiz

It’s chaotic here, there are many quote unquote plans and suggestions out here and there on how to improve running.
And I know there is no simple way or answer. My running is poor, 14 min / mile and I have been running for a few weeks now but yet not a lot of improvement.
I am complementing endurance with HIT training.

number9

Contributor

flgator92

None
My running is poor, 14 min / mile and I have been running for a few weeks now but yet not a lot of improvement.
I am complementing endurance with HIT training.

I suggest you just get out and run. Build that volume. Run at least 3-5 miles each day, at least 5 days a week in addition to what other workouts you're doing. HIT training is probably more suited for a well-conditioned athlete. I'd just build that volume and incorporate HIT occasionally. The only way to get better running distance is running distance. There's no shortcuts.

chunkylver99

Is there anyone or an established group in the Tempe/Mesa AZ area that want to get together to prep for the PRT?? I know I sometimes do better in group settings.