• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT on Wed. quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
My PRT is at 1:00 PM tomrrow and I will probably be up around 9 am. Yesterday (monday I did a practice PRT for my workout b/c I figured it was nothing too strenuous but would keep my muscles loose). When do you think I should eat and what tomorrow? Also, I am going to stay away from caffeine b/c cramping is the one thing that will screw me. My practice scores were in the 80's for push ups and sit ups and my run is in the 11-11:20 range. I can't risk cramping. Thanks for all the imput though.

FlyGirl

Caffine puts the heart rate up...it's not good to drink before a run. I'm not sure about the cramping aspect...

I would take an asprin though. It thins the blood and will help circulation..not stimulating like caffine and won't cause cramping IF you drink like a glass of milk or something light beforehand. It really helped my PRT..I dropped 2 minutes off my time from the last time my friend timed me. :) (however, i wouldn't suggest this if your stomach gets very upset from asprin.)

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
I'm no PRT champion, but to the 12th-hour diet-nazi's out there: ALL CRAP. I guarantee you that the SEAL and USMC candidates out there aren't pumping themselves full of oatmeal and aspirin so that they break the 12 minute barrier for 1.5 miles.

"The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle." If you want a good PRT score, train for it and make it happen. The 3 or 4 seconds you gain from your new $150 aerodynamic shoes and protein pill diet aren't going to make the board accept you.

For significant improvement in results, you can't fake it. My advice: pretend your plane got shot down and you've got a platoon of pissed-off Iraqi soldiers chasing you around the track. Ask them about the daisy cutter they had for breakfast and whether it had enough fiber content.

Best eating advice I ever got from my old coach: "eat what your body is used to". If you're used to eating burgers and pizza, a trip to the salad bar is gonna clean you out better than Drain-o. Better bring a change of underwear.
<stepping off soapbox>

E6286

OCC 191 Select
That is the best advice I have heard all day! Thanks airgreg. However, will aspirin prevent cramping? Even if it would take 10 seconds off it would be worth it.

jet_ifr

Here's an idea about doing better on the PFT. Get your recruiter to chase you with his car! I'm not kidding! When I did my PFT on the 24th I got my OSO's SSGT to chase me the last 3/4 mile right on my tail in the car! 18:33 for 3 miles!

Good luck man!

John

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
E6286, I'm not a doctor but I doubt aspirin will prevent cramping. In my experience, cramps occur if I have eaten recently or I'm insufficiently hydrated. Rest well, eat normal, drink water, and stretch often.

My approach is to not rely on pills or special supplements. The DI at OCS is probably not going to care about whether we took our grape-flavored Flinstones vitamins that morning.

FlyGirl

Hey E6286 -- Let's us know how you do today. :)

Ghost I think you are right..the orange ones taste better! lol.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
76 curl-ups, 70 push-ups, 11:26 run. Not very good but not bad either. The curl-ups killed me because I was doing them on concrete and it jacked up my tailbone. Also, running on concrete didn't help much either. Now, we wait. Thanks for asking though.

hawkdocfmf

Considering the run is only a mile and a half, it really shouldnt matter what you eat the day before, its not preparation for a marathon. At most I wouldnt eat a real heavy meal a couple of hours before the PRT or sit with a pepsi and a cigarette just before forming up. Normal PT days should have longer runs than a mile and a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.