• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT on Wed. quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Okay, I am taking my PRT on Wed. and today is a normal workout day for curl-ups, push-ups, pull-ups, and a run. Should I use my normal workout of all out chest (about 200-300) sit ups and push ups or are my better off going lighter since the test is on Wed.? If you guys think I should go lighter, what should I do? I just don't want to work out balls out and then come wed. end up doing crappy due to sore muscles or whatever. Let me know what you think.

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
Do half your work out and just stretch out tomorrow. You should be just fine.

Don't sweat the small stuff!

JTP

I rested completely the day before and drank lots of fluids. Eat a good dinner full of carbs early and get 8-9 hrs of sleep. Get up and drink fluids and eat some hearty oatmeal. You'll be loaded w/ energy for a performance day. ALong with Vic, make sure you stretch, and then stretch some more.

J. Tyler Pate

GO DAWGS!

Phiman

Any PT that you do now isnt going to help you any on the PRT on Wednesday so you might as well just rest up and go into this one good to go. Drink lots of fluids.

WFU2USN

Another suggestion - lots of fluids and if your PRT is in the morning, have a light breakfast (i.e. fruit, yogurt)...it's always seemed to help me in doing well on the PRT.

Good luck!!

rhollin1

I agree with WFU2USN. Lots of water the night and morning before. Get hydrated! Also what helps me a bit is drinking a Red Bull bout 30 minutes before the PRT.

kraemer77

My suggestion...which is contrary to most previously submitted, my apologies, but do not eat the morning of the PRT, and definitely do not drink a Red Bull!!! Red Bull is filled with caffeine, which will cause severe abdominal cramps--things that can greatly reduce your overall run time. Also do not drink milk the morning of, in fact, I would avoid it atleast twelve hours before the PRT--the protein in the milk lingers longer because it is not as easily metabolized and will also cause cramping.

The best suggestion is to actually eat a high protein meal the night before and limit the carbs. Why? Most people load up on pasta, potatoes, and rice--which are usually simple carbs. The problem with carbs in general is that the body metabolizes them too quickly--therefore the energy you gain from them are used up more quickly as well. This quick absorbtion also affects blood sugar levels, which can leave you flat and tired in the morning.
If you eat a high protein meal with a moderate serving of good fats the night before, you will be just fine in the morning. Proteins take longer to break down and help maintain glucose levels in the blood longer and more effectively. If you eat your dinner later in the evening, the meal will help you well into the next morning.

The simple solution is to eat well the night before, high protein and fat, low carbs, drink well and keep it simple with water only. A thing I like to do is eat a couple of PBJ's before bed--use extra peanut butter--and that will be energy source for the morning. Trust me works well. Eating in the morning only stands to shunt much needed blood to your stomach for digestion. I can't stress it enough though, stay away from beverages with caffeine or milk (energy, meal replacement etc) in them the morning of the PRT--they will give you cramps and are also diuretics--they dehydrate you.
I would stop doing your gym routine atleast two days prior to the PRT and just do stretching exercises.

I realize these recommendations are contrary to popular perception but trust me they are tested recommendations that are effective. Feel free to email me if you have any other questions.

kraemer77
kraemer_st@hotmail.com

rhollin1

Every time I have taken a Red Bull it has really helped in my endurance. Come on, it's only 1 1/2 miles. You’re not running a marathon here. There's really not enough time to develop abdominal cramps. Unless you eat heavy. I agree with not eating much the morning of the PRT. I guess the old saying, "To his his own", right. It works for me.

tali264

i agree with no eating the morning before (if he's taking it in the morning). If he's taking it in the late afternoon and doesn't eat all day then he will really be dragging. As for caffeine, I'm all for that. It always seems to work for me. Like rhollin said, it's only 1.5 miles... not a two hour event. The quick metabolization of sugars (from the pasta or even candy) in this case is good because you are only doing 10 minutes of activity. Just my thoughts to add to the bunch - I'm not a nutritionist, just going on what works for me

ghost_ttu

unless it's really hot and you dehydrate like I did the first time I ran my PRT. I puked up all the fluids that I had drank earlier before I ran. (after I ran, and I'll admit I wasn't in shape) but it was hot as hell and I felt so damn sick afterwards. Just thought you would all love that visual
icon_smile_wink.gif

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

bluesmobile

P-3 copilot
pilot
From what I've read, the jury's still out on the effects of caffeine. Some marathon runners drink a cup of coffee about 90 minutes or so before the race. It gets the blood pumping in the morning when your body is still waking up, and provides a good kick for the first quarter of the race. As for the Red Bull, some people have problems with carbonation, which may be the actual cause of cramping (not the caffeine).

Different people have different issues with food/drink and how it effects their running. You can listen to 12 different people give 12 different suggestions, and a few of them will work better for you than others. It's really about learning what works for you, what leads to cramping problems for you, etc. It's different for everybody.

My advice probably won't help too much for tomorrow, so I'll throw in my two cents. I've run a few 5K/10K races as well as a half-marathon, and I've found that a small cup of coffee works well for me, as well as a small breakfast (banana or granola bar), all about 1 1/2 to 2 hours before the run. Good luck!

rhollin1

Yeah if you’re out of shape in the least bit or you live in the South and are doing the PRT in the summertime, good luck. I am in San Diego so running outside side really nice. If you are throwing up the liquid you consumed before the run, then that probably means that (1) you are out of shape and (2) you probably tried pushing yourself too hard. If you can naturally do the run in 12:00, but end up doing it in 11:00 then your going to pay for it. But to me it's worth it if it makes my numbers better. [V]

ghost_ttu

well I tossed the liquid cookies for nuttin the first time. Then worked out for a week and knocked a minute off the run time and kept the cookies in
icon_smile_wink.gif

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

kraemer77

I think that in any situation where variations occur...common sense should prevail. So if the PRT is in the afternoon, one would think to eat something in the morning--keeping in mind not to eat too much.

Caffeine does cramp--not just abdominal cramps, but muscle cramps because it is a diuretic--moving fluid out of the muscles and throughout the system into the blood and urine. You should also be weary of judging the extensiveness of an exercice activity by its duration. Injury can occur very rapidly--it really depends on the level of physical fitness of the participant.

But to each his own.

kraemer77

Status
Not open for further replies.