• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT every 6 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhollin1

tali
Yeah, that is what I was thinking. I do my running on a treadmill and it seems to work out ok.

jaznups
I would like to hear about those knee strengthening exercises.

Pain...is weakness leaving the body

jaznups

Well it may give more give than concrete but every coach I have had said that the tread mill is a "NO NO!" I don't think it has anything to do with the give it's something about the similation of motion or some crap that makes it bad for knees and shins but I have no Idea really... My trainers just just always tell me not to use it especially when hurting... (I mean I do use it but it's rare and I have already built up the resistance to really horrid shin splints...)

As far as knee exercises go... Let me sit down and actually type them out nice-like b/c I gotta run to class right now...

Jaz

There are two kinds of people that amaze me -- those that know absolutely everything and those that know absolutely nothing.

tali264

Jaz
Well what makes running bad for the joints (knees) is the force you put on them. That is reduced when the surface you're running on has "give". I also think it would reduce your chances of twisting your knees or ankles in an undesirable way since it's flat. I'm not saying your coach is wrong, but I'm curious to know why. Plus you can watch your form since most gyms have mirrors all over the place.

FlyGirl

I know this will sound corny...but also check your shoe padding. I buy the extra sport (runners type) padding from Foot Locker and these work really well. (especially when you run on concrete and streets) I haven't had a shin splint in over one year and I've been running harder and more often. I switch the padding out every 4 months and make sure I buy new shoes every 6 months - depending on my mileage. Hope that helps some...

jaznups

Good point... We change shoes every 3-4 monthes which may be excessive but when the NCAA is paying for them I don't mind :)

Oh yea if you're flat footed check out the arches in the shoes and make sure they're the right ones...I use temp. ortho's too and change them almost every month and they help a BUNCH!!! and for anyone that's into sprinting.... heel raisers help too... you know the little heel cups...

There are two kinds of people that amaze me -- those that know absolutely everything and those that know absolutely nothing.

rhollin1

I think the reasons why coaches want you to stay away from treadmills is that when you’re in competition, YOUR NOT RUNNING ON A TREADMILL. They want you to get as comfortable as possible running on the same terrain as you will in comp. I'm running on a treadmill and using the Precor right now because I have had knee "aches" is the past. Plus I am trying to drop a few pounds. I do every once and a while run on concrete so I don't become too accustomed to running in the gym.

Pain...is weakness leaving the body

jaznups

oh yea I didn't forget...

Knee exercises...

First off they had me on some insane supplements because apparently the whatever fluid that cushions between the bones/sockets/whatever had depleted. So I was popping vitamin pills like crazy to try to boost them... who'd a thought athletes need more lol! Just Kidding!

They did tell me the number 1 reason for possible knee pain is inproper running form. And for me I don't think it had anything to do with my form but the fact that I was a ballet dancer so I had a natural turn out which reaped havoc on my knees because my feet didn't go in a perfect line they went out a little... but I digress...

One exercise that I found really helpful but at the same time really painful was basically strengthening. After you warm up and stretch grab a pole or wall something sturdity and do slow non-bouncy knee bends. So I would work the inside leg. So if my left hand was on my support then I'd be working my left leg. Number of reps per leg is hard to tell seeing that Im no doctor but my doc started me off with a really low number like 5-8 and then added a couple as I felt like I was able to do them and getting stronger. (So essentially your training the muscles around your knee to sort of have them help out with the impact...or that's what the doc told me :-P)

The exercise I dreaded doing the most was this:
you find a support like the wall but perferably something you can really latch onto for support. Then you slightly bend your knee and then twist...not moving the foot your standing on...BE AWARE.. you're not going to be twisiting a whole lot because the knee just doesn't do that ...so go slow and be gentle...but it hypothetically helps strengthen around the knee.. In my opinion these just hurt... I would NOT push these but they were part of my daily routine... YUCK!

And then what any athlete that has had knee or hamstring trouble uses is the good ol' giant rubber band... i don't know what they're really called but they are like giant things of rubber that are about 6 inches wide and you can get them at any length according to your height or the function that you need them for...and they come in different elasticities.. I used to lay on my back holding both ends put my foot in the middle and slowly try to straighten my leg and then contract it and do it over and over...

(PS the giant rubber bands have worked wonders with my various injuries and are just great strengthening tools in general and great stretch friends for some ultimate stretching... As you can see I live by them now!!)

I still often think that us students are guinea pigs for the sports medicine people :-P
"try this, take this ok try this..." lol!

Hope this helps a lil bit... and if I wasn't too clear just let me know and I'll try to sound more cohesive
:-P

Jaz
~I am a guinea pig for the Sports Medicine Trainers...~

Status
Not open for further replies.