• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT every 6 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
Is anyone out there having to do a PRT every 6 months before going to OCS? My recruiter told me I had to, but now 6 months has passed and nothing,any thoughts?

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
Shut your pie hole there non-cunning, you don't know me! How bout you, what's your status? What do you do besides being an annoying,obnoxious SOB. You must be upset, you sound like your in the Army.[:D]

bluesmobile

P-3 copilot
pilot
Hmm...the way my recruiter explained it, when you're in active duty you need to do the PRT every six months, and I believe that includes BDCP. If you're inactive (as DEP is), this isn't required, except that you do need to have done a PRT within six months of OCS. As Cunning so eliquently put it, it's always good to run the PRTs, as you can gauge your improvement as well as meet other candidates in your area.

rhollin1

I wouldn't hold it against you if you didn't do it for the recruiter, however I agree with blue, you should be doing for yourself. I have done the PRT about 4 times in the last 2 months and each one has been better than the previous. My first one I ran it in 13:45. I ran it yesterday in 11:09. I haven't even been accepted yet and if I am I still won't go to OCS until at least Aug or Sept '03. I don't feel like getting there and having my *ss handed to me. I will get my run under 10:00 if it is the last thing I do. Eight weeks ago I couldn't even get 20 pu's and now I can get 70. Same thing with su's. I was able to do about 20 as well and now I can get 55. So if you do it for yourself you will definitely feel great about it.

Pain...is weakness leaving the body

grouch

Henneke is a real captain america. I wish I had his build. He does work out but the dude has to drive two hours to see his recruiter. That would suck for anyone.

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
Thanks Grouch~

Guy's it's not that I don't want to do a freakin PRT, I don't think I fully explained myself. I've been running almost 10 miles a week. I just didn't want to go the recruiter yet because I am suffering from a horrible case of shin splints and it's seriously jacking up my 1.5 mile times. I've still got 10 months before OCS and I'm trying to get my run time down to 10 min before I report. I actually did hate running at first, but now hate it when I have to miss a few days because of shin splints. By the way, anyone suffering from them might like this....I found out that if you take very small steps in stead of regular steps it really puts alot less strain on your shins. More work, but it's better 'cause it gets you in better shape. Thanks for the input guys!

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
I think someone pulled the ejection seat handle for Cunning
icon_smile_wink.gif

jaznups

Hey I ran track for 4 years in HS and X-country for 2 and I can help anyone out with Shins splints problems...

Over the course of years you can imagine how often this occurred...
I found that there are a few things that worked and some work when you have them and are also preventive!

B4 you run fully after your warm up do simple point and flexes while seated on the ground...
So straighten your legs out and point and flex as hard as you can... Do these kind of slow... Believe me if you have shin splints it will be a bit painful but helps I found...

Also another drill like thing you can do that helps but can feel really awkward.
stand up straight and put your body weight on you heals and then tap you toes as fast as you can.
Do like 3 sets of those... as far as reps are concerned I usually do them for as long as I can stand them then I stop... Don't forget to stretch afterwards b/c you'll feel really tight afterwards....

Just my 2 cents

Jaz

There are two kinds of people that amaze me -- those that know absolutely everything and those that know absolutely nothing.

jaznups

Oh yea I forgot ice is your best friend after a run...

My coach always made us ice down our ailments after our runs... if you do this religiously you'll cut down on re-inflammation... But this is all in theory...

Im not sports medicine expert but it seemed to help an work for me for 4 years and in college track and field where we get babied!

There are two kinds of people that amaze me -- those that know absolutely everything and those that know absolutely nothing.

rhollin1

Yeah hennekecfi I know what you mean. I don't have shin splints, but my knees give me problems sometimes and my ankles hurt every once in a while. I used to be into bodybuilding and did squats religiously. My knees are paying for it. I'm a big guy anyway so that doesn't help.

Pain...is weakness leaving the body

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
jaznups~

Thanks for the suggestions, I have serious shin splints and am willing to try anything. In your experience have you found that shin splints will ever totally go away? They seem like they are SLOWLY getting better. Should I let them totally heal before running again? I try and let them totally heal but sometimes it takes a couple of weeks, so I start running when they're still enflamed.

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
rhollin~

I think being heavy is another problem that compounds any potential problem while running. It probably wouldn't hurt me to lose as much weight as possible...less weight on the shins or in your case knees.

jaznups

Hey in my experience my HS coach DIDN'T CARE if we had shin splints so I used to just run on them! But I don't suggest it if they're really bad b/c they can get to the point where you have to wear this cast thing from the doctor... I never did though but I had teammates that did...

What I suggest in the meantime and my college coach has us do this...
Get on a stationary bike and do your run via there... so push it hard on the bike...
doing sprint intervals on the bike really does give you a great cardio exercise and keeps you in shape while you're waiting for you shins to heal...

ALSO DO water running... it's really hardcore if you do it for like 30-45 minutes and you keep perfect running form in the water...And waaaayyy less impact...my coach always says never just sit around if you can help it...oh yea we did the water runs with floaty belts so the impact was even less but you don't have to :-0

As far as how long to wait I don't know... just keep icing them twice a day if you can spare that... and just ease your way back into actual outdoor running...run in grass and not pavement to reduce impact... STAY AWAY FROM THE TREAD MILL IF YOU ARE PRONE TO SHIN SPLINTS it is the worst!!!!

I think I just got used to my shins hurting and then they eventually either go away or the season ends :-P But baby them as much as you can... I believe you can build up a tolerance... I had no other choice.

I too experienced the knee problem thing b/c I ran for 365 days nonstop in competition mode...badd idea... darn coaches. I had to do knee therapy for a while so if anyone wants any of those nifty exercises let me know... they're mostly strengthen exercises...

Hope it helps a lil bit.

Jaz

PS so I guess the answer is they usually went away for me when I stopped running so I guess the answer is no they don't really ever go away you kind of get used to it and ignore it :) And do the exercises they help!

tali264

jaz-
just a thought, but wouldn't running on a treadmill be better than concrete?? treadmills would have more "give". Obviously not as much as sand, grass, or a track, but more than the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.