• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prospective base closeures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Subject: BRAC List

Latest BRAC list from Deputy Assistant to the Secretary of Defense
(Intelligence Oversight) CLOSURES FOR 2005

BRAC List - Just off the Press Army bases currently proposed for
closure or realignment in 2005 include:
* Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania
* Detroit Arsenal, Michigan
* Fort Belvoir, Virginia
* Fort Buchanan, Puerto Rico
* Fort McPherson/Gillem, Georgia
* Fort Monmouth, New Jersey
* Fort Monroe, Virginia
* Fort Polk, Louisiana (to realign)
* Fort Richardson, Alaska
* Fort Sam Houston, Texas
* Fort Shafter, Hawaii
* Lima Army Tank Plant, Ohio
* Natick Soldier Center, Massachusetts
* Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey
* Redstone Arsenal, Alabama
* Rock Island Arsenal, Illinois
* Sierra Army Depot, California
* Yuma Proving Ground, Arizona

Air Force base closures and realignments include:
* Altus AFB, Oklahoma
* Beale AFB, California
* Brooks AFB, Texas
* Cannon AFB, New Mexico
* Columbus AFB, Mississippi
* Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota
* Goodfellow AFB, Texas
* Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota
* Hanscom AFB, Massachusetts
* Kirtland AFB, New Mexico
* Los Angeles AFB, California
* McConnell AFB, Kansas
* Nellis AFB, Nevada (to realign)
* Seymour Johnson AFB, North Carolina (to realign)
* Shaw AFB, South Carolina
* Vance AFB, Oklahoma

Naval base closures and realignments include:
* Ingleside Naval Station, Texas
* Naval Postgraduate School, California
* Naval Air Station Meridian, Mississippi
* Naval Air Engineering Station Lakehurst, New Jersey
* Naval Recreation Station Solomons Island,
* Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane, Indian
* Naval Surface Warfare Center, Dahlgren Division, Virginia
* Navy Supply Corps School, Georgia
* New Orleans Naval Support Activity, Louisiana
* Pascagoula Naval Station, Mississippi
* Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, New Hampshire
* Saratoga Springs Naval Support Unit, New York

Marine base closures and realignments include:
* Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany, Georgia
* Marine Corps Logistics Base Barstow, California (realignment)
* Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, California
* Marine Corps Mountain Warfare School, California
* Marine Reserve Support Unit, Kansas City
* Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, California (realign or close).

As far as the Marine Corps and the navy is concerned there are a couple of big-ticket items. For the navy it is the naval post graduate school. For the Corps it is Miramar once again. Also from a training perspective it should be noted that both Vance and meridian are on the list. Also this list is by no means iron clad and can and probably will change.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
* Shaw AFB, South Carolina

NOOOO!!!!! I spent a lot of time there when I was little :( . I was last there a few years ago, it was really nice after they rebuilt much of it due to hurrican damage.

yet another base I have a connection to will (perhaps) close.
Mather AFB
Zweibruecken
now Shaw...

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Aparently my state of CA has gotten tired of the Marine Corps...

All joking aside I really wish these list would suggest where the assets on those bases would be sent. As far as Miramar goes, that has been on the list or in the media for as long as I can remember. I really wish someone would go tell the rich folks in scripts ranch, NOISE IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU BUILD YOUR MILLION DOLLAR HOME NEAR AN AIRFIELD.

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Personaly i dont think they will close Miramar. i think they are going to threthen to close Miramar to get something else. What i dont know, but like i said its all subject to change.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
While the MCRD in SD is indeed on very valuable land, the motivation to close it is not purely financial. The MCRD borders the San Diego International Airport. Because of freeways, water and other geographical factors, the MCRD territory is the only practical direction of much needed expansion for KSAN: http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSAN

I've heard rumors of the MCRD moving north to the vacant buildings of the former MCAS El Toro. But that's just scuttlebutt.

As for Miramar, while I would hate to see it go, the (jet) base is sitting right in the middle of one of the fastest growing areas of the country. It ain't gonna get less populated, and it could only take one bad incident for the political winds to shift.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Miramar and the Postgraduate school is kind of surprising to me, maybe because I live in California, and I think both of those bases are in two of the coolest areas in California.

Then again I was also surprised to see the Navy leave Miramar. What with the base's history and all.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
I always liked Fort Monroe, and I wonder where they will move all of the training equipment from Dahlgren ...

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Damn. How can we close so many bases? Does anyone realize that we can't just get that space back if we ever need it again?

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Blah, how many years have they been saying they were going to close some of these bases?

BTW, for those asking about Miramar, the scuttlebutt when I left Yuma was that since they are expanding the airfields and adding a CALA, they were going to move Miramar squadrons over to Arizona.

That is two year old scuttlebutt...

HueyCobra8151

pilot
*Disregard* - This same thread got shot down on military.com as follows:

Base-closing list nothing more than hoax
By Mike Linn: CNJ news editor
mike_linn@link.freedom.com

A group of e-mails that list military bases likely scheduled for retirement in the upcoming base realignment and closure (BRAC) process are nothing more than a hoax, officials say.

A spokesman for U.S. Sen. Pete Domenici said Tuesday that information regarding base closures won't be available until after the BRAC Commission has been formed in March. The Secretary of Defense would then submit his proposed BRAC list to Congress in mid-May.

"Every time there's a BRAC, these lists pop up," said Matthew Letourneau, Domenici's spokesman. "Right now we're in between the (BRAC) criteria being set and finalized, which is another reason why there can't be a list if we don't even know what the criteria is."

The Clovis News Journal on Tuesday received via e-mail what Letourneau described as a "phantom" list, which named Cannon and Kirtland Air Force bases among 16 Air Force bases slated for retirement after BRAC.

The e-mail was traced to Robert Downs, treasurer of the Fort Walton Beach, Fla.-based Air Commando Association, a non-profit organization of retired special operations military. Downs said he received the list from another retired military official, but he doesn't know the source of the e-mail.

Downs saw Cannon on the list and sent it to his son in Clovis; the e-mail was later forwarded to the newspaper.

"I wouldn't get excited over that thing," Downs said. "It looks like one I saw about a year ago. They had a list at one time, and of course the list may have been somewhat made up."
The e-mail claims a deputy assistant to the Secretary of Defense is the source of the information, but it is not specific. The e-mail also lists bases slated for retirement for the Army, Marines and Navy.

The e-mails have been circulating in increasing numbers this week, officials say, and the lists have been more prevalent prior to the 2005 BRAC because of increased use of the Internet.

"Why this is happening I don't even want to speculate," said Pentagon spokesman Glenn Flood, who has been dealing with BRAC since 1988. "There was no list floating on the Internet during the 1995 BRAC."

Flood said he's fielded questions at least 50 times from reporters this year about similar lists. In the last week, he said he received roughly 10 phone calls from reporters on the subject.

A phantom list has fooled at least one newspaper, officials said.

A Sacramento, Calif.-based veterans newspaper earlier this year published an article under the headline, "...Beale (AFB) to hit 2005 BRAC list."

Another California paper, the Appeal-Democrat in Marysville, ran a follow-up story citing Pentagon officials who said the list was bogus.

####

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
yeah, i was just gonna post something about that...

talked to my dad tonight and he pretty much said that list was a lotta bunk.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
HueyCobra8151 said:
BTW, for those asking about Miramar, the scuttlebutt when I left Yuma was that since they are expanding the airfields and adding a CALA, they were going to move Miramar squadrons over to Arizona.

That is two year old scuttlebutt...

I was actually wondering this after I posted. Yuma isnt TOO far.

Status
Not open for further replies.