• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prospective base closeures

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It looked just like the proposed list on g2.mil. I agree with most of the closures. We spend too much on tiny bases when we could be spending the money on weapons and personnel. These tiny little outposts, like Monterrey and Carlisle, need PXs, hospitals, etc, even though they don't provide any combat pwr. A lot of bases are only there for historical or political reasons. It's not as though there are training areas associated with them.

Clux4

Banned
I think much of the realignment is due to the fact that we are now building new bases outside the country.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Clux4, you're high. BRAC has been underway, slowly, for a decade. You may see some foreign bases traded for others, e.g. German bases for bases in the former Warsaw Pact, but by-and-large those are separate problems from BRAC. We have so many legacy bases right now, we have to cull the herd. If Congress could get out of the way, we could get somewhere with all this.

Clux4

Banned
lol,
Phrogdriver,

So what is up with Bush trying to reduce our forces in Europe and I hear we are building bases in places like kazakhstan? Is this part of the foreign bases for others you are talking about?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gee... maybe because we aren't worried about the soviet hordes pushing through the fulda gap anymore.

kazakhstan is more 'tip of the spear' these days than weisbaden/rammstein/spang/etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.