• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Proposed change to FAR 61.73

HuggyU2

None
FonF: Yes, I see your point. I'm guessing, but I suppose you could it either way, e.g. take the MCI, or take the FOI, FAI, and Instrument exam. If that's the case, the best route is taking 1 test with 125 questions. The MCI has plenty of FOI material on it.
Recommend you go to http://www.sheppardair.com/milcompcfi.htm . You might want to send it to your FSDO guy, and facilitate his education in this new rule change.
Also, did your know your military medical will work in lieu of a Class III?

Chunks,
Call CATS testing, and they will tell you where the nearest testing facility is.
In fact, I'll do the work for you: http://www.catstest.com/search/index.html

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor

Most of the squadrons have or know a flight surgeon that can do this for free. If not, it's at most, $80 from most flight training schools at most airports.

MasterBates

So by this interpretation, does being an "Assistant NATOPS Instructor" in a 60B allow one to get a Rotary CFI or is that just the squadron NATOPS Officer that can do it?

ANI = Can do NATOPS checks, just can't do NATOPS checks for the other ANIs/NIs.

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
FonF: Yes, I see your point. I'm guessing, but I suppose you could it either way, e.g. take the MCI, or take the FOI, FAI, and Instrument exam.
The FSDO inspector said you only have to take the FOI, only civilians have to take FOI + FAI, etc...

If that's the case, the best route is taking 1 test with 125 questions. The MCI has plenty of FOI material on it.

According to Gleim, yesterday, the FOI exam is only 50 questions and it is out of a bank of 100. So, that would make it a even shorter test than the 125 MCI one. Funny thing is, I asked the FSDO yesterday if there is a military competency test, and he said that the only competency test that he's aware of is the Foreign competency knowledge exam and that military folks seeking to get their commercial rating after winging would just take the FAA Commercial knowledge exam...

Recommend you go to http://www.sheppardair.com/milcompcfi.htm . You might want to send it to your FSDO guy, and facilitate his education in this new rule change.

Wilco.

Yes.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...v8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.1.1.17&idno=14

FAR §61.23(b)(9)
When a military pilot of the U.S. Armed Forces can show evidence of an up-to-date medical examination authorizing pilot flight status issued by the U.S. Armed Forces and—
(i) The flight does not require higher than a third-class medical certificate; and
(ii) The flight conducted is a domestic flight operation within U.S. airspace.

It seems ridiculous that the FAA would only allow 3rd class privileges, when military flight physicals are more stringent...

HuggyU2

None
MasterB,
Are you or are you not designated as an IP in your rotary aircraft? If so, you qualify. If the FSDO says no, educate them or shop around. The FAA doesn't speak "NATOPS". You will need to show documents that prove the Navy considers you an IP.
Part 61 says nothing about having to be an "evaluator". In the USAF, not all IP's are "evaluators" (or "EP's").

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
So by this interpretation, does being an "Assistant NATOPS Instructor" in a 60B allow one to get a Rotary CFI or is that just the squadron NATOPS Officer that can do it?

ANI = Can do NATOPS checks, just can't do NATOPS checks for the other ANIs/NIs.

Hey there brother...from what I understand CFI is CFI, no specific airframe/aircraft as the Part 141/61 cover the syllabus generally.

And the instruction just include requirement to "Complete an instructor course (FITU, HITU, SWTI, etc) OR pilot examiner training course..." Does ANI have a training course assoc with it?

HuggyU2

None
lol...for another government standards office?
Yep. The FSDO's are very different. Even within a FSDO, you'll get a different answer, depending on who you ask. If that local FSDO tells you something you don't like, pick up the phone and call one in Montana, or Utah. You will eventually get the answer you want.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
MasterB,
Are you or are you not designated as an IP in your rotary aircraft? If so, you qualify. If the FSDO says no, educate them or shop around. The FAA doesn't speak "NATOPS". You will need to show documents that prove the Navy considers you an IP.
Part 61 says nothing about having to be an "evaluator". In the USAF, not all IP's are "evaluators" (or "EP's").

This is exactly what I was getting at in my response to lowflier. Again, I understand lowflier was just repeating what he was told, but there's no real syllabus for an ANI, or at least, I haven't heard of one. However, if you've been designated as an IP, then the way I understand it, you'd be good.

The benefits of being in a squadron with it's own RAG.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Yep. The FSDO's are very different. Even within a FSDO, you'll get a different answer, depending on who you ask. If that local FSDO tells you something you don't like, pick up the phone and call one in Montana, or Utah. You will eventually get the answer you want.

HAHAHAHA...Awesome. Thanks for the gouge and just the thought of it makes my day.

"Hello, sir? Yes, are you a democratic or republican controlled state and how loose are your interpretations of the following FAR...."