• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

proper dress to meet a recruiter?

michaels601

Simba Barracuda.
My first OSO had me do MEPS, wanted me in khakis and a collared shirt, then wanted a PFT score on me (so i had to lug PT gear...not too bad), and told me to bring a suit so I could take the picture for my package. I looked like I was moving in.

Just don't look like some hippie bum. Definitely cut your fingernails.

TheFurr7198

When I went to first go see my OSO I wore shorts and flipflops. They didnt treat me any diffrent than those guys that showed up dressed up in a suit and tie. Just be yourself and If you want it bad enough you'll get selected. If all else fails just dress up like Chuck Norris.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Carno said:
Damn.. I had no idea what the hell I was doing when I first met my OSO...

I walked in with skate shoes, jeans and a button down Quiksilver shirt :p

I'm sure I wasn't dressed much better. In fact, I don't think I ever called him on the phone either. If he hadn't have been so persistent, I wouldn't be where I am today!

Looking back, I would have done things MUCH different.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I wore a button up shirt, black slacks, dress shoes, a tie, and a sport coat. But then again, many of the others applicants who came in that day were dressed in street clothes. I'm the exception I guess.
Also, did anyone else think MEPS was kinda scary? The moment I walked in the door, one of the guys who was enlisting started looking around and got chewed out for it by a USMC Gunnery Sergeant. They were all kind of gruff and tough with me until I told them I was here to see my OSO for NROTC. Then they all brightened up and were nice as pie to me.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
AllAmerican75 said:
They were all kind of gruff and tough with me until I told them I was here to see my OSO for NROTC. Then they all brightened up and were nice as pie to me.

****. I went to MEPS with another OC and we told them we had to be done by XXXX to sign paper work that had to go out that day (as we had been instructed, not because we were trying to game the system). "Sure!", they said.

We were the LAST swinging dicks in that place.

Saladmander

So I ended up going in a nice shirt and black pants. The OSO was cool, but I actually learned a lot more by reading online. And some of the information conflicted... one guy said post-flight-school obligation was 7 years helo 8 years fixed wing, and the other said it was 8 and 10. :-\

arg, its so long... what do intelligrnce people do?

PLCOSU

A basic "Normal" ground contract is 3 1/2 active. 4 1/2 reserve. Open to ground MOS's, if you mean Intelligence, I'm talking ground intelligence which is a ground MOS. However there are other types of intelligence officers (Air intelligence, human source intelligence, tactical, signals, couter-intelligence) that you might have to have a different contract for.

Oh and you'll learn just as much, from your OSO, you just have to be willing to actually ask them all the questions, they are busy people, but then again you are the "customer".

Recidivist

I wore jeans, sandals and a button down khaki shirt for my first meeting. I am in California, though so that could have something to do with it.

When I went to get a professional eval from an instructor at Fallon I wore button-down, very nice shoes, jeans again and clean-cut hair. He rated me in my appearance in the second best, I would have preferred to have "best".

Retrospectively: If this is a job you really want, dress like it. I would be well groomed, button shirt tucked into nice dress pants and maybe a tie at the least.

MEPS: **** that place. I went there twice, and both times I left thinking it'd be better to be doing calistenics in Gitmo. 2nd time the *******s had me show up at 5am for an ortho when the doc wasn't even going to be there until 8. I finally saw the doc at 10:15 and he cleared me by 10:30. I had to wait another 2 hours to be released.

Ex Rigger

pilot
Recidivist said:
When I went to get a professional eval from an instructor at Fallon I wore button-down, very nice shoes, jeans again and clean-cut hair.
Not to single you out.....but I think this is a good example of what you think might is OK but is pretty unprofessional if going to an interview to get evaluated/recommended.....a suit/jacket and tie would have been the right call. As for other times, I'd wear at minimum khakis and a collared shirt.........at all times in every meeting you had with the recruiter unless its to PT obviously.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
tegbold said:
A basic "Normal" ground contract is 3 1/2 active. 4 1/2 reserve. Open to ground MOS's, if you mean Intelligence, I'm talking ground intelligence which is a ground MOS. However there are other types of intelligence officers (Air intelligence, human source intelligence, tactical, signals, couter-intelligence)

All MOS's besides Pilot and NFO are "ground" MOSes. No MOSes besides Pilot or NFO require longer than the initial ground commitment of 3 1/2, 4, or 5 years depending on your commissioning source.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Taxman2A said:
All MOS's besides Pilot and NFO are "ground" MOSes. No MOSes besides Pilot or NFO require longer than the initial ground commitment of 3 1/2, 4, or 5 years depending on your commissioning source.

Lawyers have a seperate contract as well, so don't forget about them. Other than that 100% correct.

Crowbar

None
Here's a couple of model citizens for you to emulate:

p6lpreview.jpg

college_drinkwater4.jpg

nick_nolte.jpg