• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

proper dress to meet a recruiter?

Saladmander

I'm going downtown tomorrow to meet with a recruiter and sign up for PLC-Air this summer. Should I be wearing something other than decent street clothes? Anything else that I should know would be appreciated too, thanks.

Lawman

None
The only time Ive been in anything nicer then street clothes was to take my photo for my book. So I wouldnt kill yourself over it, however you may want to take PT gear just incase, especially if you live a bit of distance from the OSO.

WEGL

Try this look... worked for me.

368979_1funny-weirdo-picture-funfry.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dressing for Success

Yeah, that's the ticket and don't forget the haircut!!

Seriously, remember going to see the "recruiter" or OSO is like going to a car dealership...with a twist. They have quotas like car salesmen......and standards. If you meet the initial criteria, they'll be chasing you to meet their quota and they'll let whatever commissioning source that fits get you up to snuff in all other departments.

Of course, I'm sure A4s will recommend a blue blazer with an embroidered crest (used to be liberty uniform "back in the day").

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Saladmander said:
I'm going downtown tomorrow to meet with a recruiter and sign up for PLC-Air this summer. Should I be wearing something other than decent street clothes? .....

That depends on what you call "street clothes". :)

I have hired many, many pilots for two airlines .... and if they had shown up in "street clothes" ... they would, of course, have been shown the door.

Your meeting may not be wound as tightly as an airline interview, but going "downtown" and meeting with the recruiter ain't "a girl at a bar". Don't be stupid and don't take it lightly. It may be the key to your future. I am supposing you want to be an officer and a professional at some point in time, so act like you want to be one. Get a haircut, shine your shoes, and wear a decent coat, tie, and slacks. That's about the "minimum" for a professional first impression.

Impressions do count, and you want the one that you make to put you above the rest of the meandering herd. Let them wear the "street clothes" .... and maybe they will get to work for YOU some fine day ..... ;)

Just my $20 worth .... but hey, why listen to me???

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
In the same vein as A4's comments. When I first met with my OSO I wore proper civilian attire. I had gotten a haircut (not reg, but neat), shined my shoes, and pressed out my khakis. I can't say it sealed the deal for me, but I got the job. Remember, your OSO's do offer their recommendation regarding your package. Look presentable and like the professional warrior you aspire to be.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
A4sForever said:
That depends on what you call "street clothes". :)

I have hired many, many pilots for two airlines .... and if they had shown up in "street clothes" ... they would, of course, have been shown the door.

Your meeting may not be wound as tightly as an airline interview, but going "downtown" and meeting with the recruiter ain't "a girl at a bar". Don't be stupid and don't take it lightly. It may be the key to your future. I am supposing you want to be an officer and a professional at some point in time, so act like you want to be one. Get a haircut, shine your shoes, and wear a decent coat, tie, and slacks. That's about the "minimum" for a professional first impression.

Impressions do count, and you want the one that you make to put you above the rest of the meandering herd. Let them wear the "street clothes" .... and maybe they will get to work for YOU some fine day ..... ;)

Just my $20 worth .... but hey, why listen to me???

Yup, what he said. It is a competitive world....one tiny thing may make a difference.

PLCOSU

You definitely can never go wrong with dressing "up". Marine Officer candidates at a minimum must report to OCS with dress pants, conservative belt, collared shirt and dress shoes. So anything less than this minimum, I would suggest, is not the way to go.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cut your fingernails...people look at the strangest things...

Carno

Insane
Damn.. I had no idea what the hell I was doing when I first met my OSO...

I walked in with skate shoes, jeans and a button down Quiksilver shirt :p

sameer

You can't go wrong wearing a suit & tie, I think. I'm from the tech industry so I have a general aversion to dressing up. In the tech industry you are better off erring on the side of dressing down vs. up. That led me to question whether or not I should dress up or down for the meeting with my OSO. I asked around though and the suggestion was suit & tie, so I wore that and I think it helped. The OSO didn't really question my corporate background, he just basically assumed (correctly of course =) I was a captain of industry -- I think that is partly because of how I dressed. . . blue suit, red tie, us flag lapel pin.

cheers
/s