• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Promotions

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
To clarify - you have to have passed the PFA just prior to your promotion date in order to actually promote. No pass, no promote - and if that promotion is from O-1 to O-2, you may have just ended your nascent career.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
To clarify - you have to have passed the PFA just prior to your promotion date in order to actually promote. No pass, no promote - and if that promotion is from O-1 to O-2, you may have just ended your nascent career.
Even if it is waived? I am set to promote to O2 this August and will not be participating in cycle 15-1 due to pregnancy. Does this mean I won't promote?

squorch2

pilot
Pregnancy is a different situation. None of the normal PFA rules and regulations apply until 6 months postpartum. You will have the BCA and PFA waived for pregnancy (possibly twice) and will afterwards resume the normal PFA process.

The "no pass, no promote" phrasing really means "fail = no promote."

squorch2

pilot
Useful FAQs regarding pregnancy from OWP, and worth quoting here:
Am I required to participate (or can I participate) in command/unit PT or take the PFA now that I’m pregnant?
Pregnant servicewomen will NOT:
  • Participate in command/unit PT;
  • Participate in FEP;
  • Participate in Mock PFAs; or
  • Participate in the command PFA
Note: Pregnant servicewomen shall receive guidance from their HCP concerning type and duration of physical activity to maintain appropriate physical conditioning and body composition.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Good to know. Thanks guys. Just as a side note, it is amazing how poorly written the instructions are for pregnancy in general. That topic, however, deserves its own thread! :)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
hmmm.....so found out today I am eligible for this O-4 board, though I will still obviously be below zone (I think that is the terminology?). So what gives? Did they shift year groups left or something? I was under the impression that my first no kidding in zone look wouldn't be until 2017 so much further off. Also, am I an asshole for not having an official photo at this point? :)

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
hmmm.....so found out today I am eligible for this O-4 board, though I will still obviously be below zone (I think that is the terminology?). So what gives? Did they shift year groups left or something? I was under the impression that my first no kidding in zone look wouldn't be until 2017 so much further off. Also, am I an asshole for not having an official photo at this point? :)
It doesn't "Count" until you're in-zone. Below zone promotions are unicorns. I think I was in the "below zone" range for like two years before I was in-zone.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It doesn't "Count" until you're in-zone. Below zone promotions are unicorns. I think I was in the "below zone" range for like two years before I was in-zone.
Check your community bubba list. It will have an projection when you can expect to be in-zone. The Millington Mafia reracks and restacks the projected zones annually, and your hinges or front office should have a copy of the projected zones for your community. AZ looks can start absurdly early, but almost no one gets picked up and they're free looks. In my career, I know only of one METOC type who got it, and to be fair, if she stays in, she'll probably be bucking for flag someday.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah I wasn't worried about being thrown into the pile in this board but guys at work were saying that it basically means I will be in zone next time around.......which if true is not ideal due to me being only a little over a year into my shore tour at that point in a pretty big competitive summary group. Whatever though, i guess chez midnjac would only be a reality sooner in that case.....

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I haven't seen any URL get selected from below zone for the last couple of promotion cycles. It may still happen, just saying I haven't seen it. I have seen some RL/staff get picked up, however.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll ask my old man, he pinned O-3 in 1962 so that would probably be a good estimation of the history of competitiveness....
Along with your Dad, I pinned O-3 in May '62. I recall that the O-3 selection rate as ~90%. At that time, promotion to O-2 came at 18 mos., and to O-3 at the 4-year mark. Remembering several of our squadron (VA-55) new LTs hosting an interesting "wetting down" in the infamous NAS Cubi Pt. O-Club in the P. I.:eek:

Inasmuch as your Dad was a contemporary, was he an aviator? What community?
BzB

Attachments

• Hugh's 'Garfish 512' VA-55 - CVA-14 - 1961.JPG
    Hugh's 'Garfish 512' VA-55 - CVA-14 - 1961.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 12

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Yeah I wasn't worried about being thrown into the pile in this board but guys at work were saying that it basically means I will be in zone next time around.......which if true is not ideal due to me being only a little over a year into my shore tour at that point in a pretty big competitive summary group. Whatever though, i guess chez midnjac would only be a reality sooner in that case.....
You generally get 2 BZ looks before your IZ look, with the only exceptions being people near the top or bottom of the stack.