• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Promotions

mizzouzk

Fly big stuff
I was just kind of curious how promotions work while in flight training. Would an ensign be winged if they go through OCS and then flight school as an ensign? Do promotions only occur in the fleet?

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Promotion to LTJG and LT are pretty much automatic now at the 2 and 4 year point, respectively, after commissioning, from what I understand. Back in the day, there was a "competitive" selection board for O-3, with something like a 95% + selection rate, but that was done away with some years ago. You have to really screw up to not make it to at least O-3. So yes, an ENS would be winged after making it through flight school before getting promoted to LTJG at the commissioning +2 years point.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Like OnTopTime said, the first two promotions are automatic. Exactly two years after you graduate OCS, you will be a LTJG. Two years after that, you'll be an LT.

Flight training and winging is independent of that, and it takes some designators longer to get winged than others. P-3/P-8 and helo each have a Primary and Advanced phase. Jets/E-2/C-2 adds a tailhook phase, so they take a little longer, and jet guys have a Strike phase on top of all that, so they take longer still. For reference, I'm in the P-3/P-8 pipeline, and I'll get my wings about four months before I promote to LTJG. But like I said, one doesn't affect the other.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are in the training squadron or Fleet Replacement Squadron, your admin department will contact you and let you know when the promotion ceremony is taking place (quarters, CO's office, etc) so that you can invite anyone you want. I was promoted to JG while in the FRS in the CO's office.

Like OnTopTime said, the first two promotions are automatic. Exactly two years after you graduate OCS, you will be a LTJG. Two years after that, you'll be an LT.
Close, it's actually 2 years PLUS a few weeks. The promotion takes place the 1st of the month following your previous promotion date.

Let say you were promoted to JG on 16MAY2013, you would be promoted to LT on 01JUN2015.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Also, in the interest of full disclosure, promotion to O-3 is not automatic. There's still a board, it just has a very high select rate. Admittedly I'm too lazy to look, but I wonder if you don't have an updated picture (as an O-2) if it would matter. My guess is no.

mizzouzk

Fly big stuff
No im going through OCS in january. I had an internship with a retired captain and he was running me through some basic stuff about the Navy and we breifly talked about how promotions worked when he was in, 20 yrs ago, and how competitive it was. He showed me a bunch of reccomendation for promotion papers he had. Pretty intense stuff.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Something about his story (or at least how it was perceived by you) doesn't quite add up. I have this feeling he may have been talking it up a bit.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, in the interest of full disclosure, promotion to O-3 is not automatic. There's still a board, it just has a very high select rate. Admittedly I'm too lazy to look, but I wonder if you don't have an updated picture (as an O-2) if it would matter. My guess is no.

I have yet to get a picture for my file at any rank and they made me a LT. It's all fully qualified officers at this point, as in if you don't have a DUI or other black mark on your record, congratulations! And they do hold people to that- I know a dude who was a LTJG for 3.5 years before he got the paperwork in to show cause for retention. Whether or not he can make O-4, different story.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None

The O-3 board used to be a competitive promotion board, like what currently exists for O-4, O-5 and O-6 selections, including voting board members, a board precept and "percent to select" targets. That changed a number of years ago, and promotion to O-3 is now managed through a different process, which is described here:

http://www.public.navy.mil/BUPERS-NPC/BOARDS/ACTIVEDUTYOFFICER/03LINE/Pages/default.aspx

So, there is no longer an O-3 "select rate." All fully qualified O-2s will be promoted to O-3. That's what I meant by "pretty much automatic."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So, there is no longer an O-3 "select rate." All fully qualified O-2s will be promoted to O-3. That's what I meant by "pretty much automatic."

I get 'ya. I just was adding that it's not a "check for a pulse" criteria and that someone does actually review a record. DUI? Probably not. Proposition a hooker on your way home from work? Eh, maybe. Crash an AUTEC golf cart into the ocean? You're probably good to go.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I get 'ya. I just was adding that it's not a "check for a pulse" criteria and that someone does actually review a record. DUI? Probably not. Proposition a hooker on your way home from work? Eh, maybe. Crash an AUTEC golf cart into the ocean? You're probably good to go.

The last one sounds like a good story.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AUTEC golf cart. That brought back some memories. That should be my retirement gig. :)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Cool story.....I downed a Defensive BFM flight in the T-45 the same day that I promoted to LTJG. So I got two wears of my khakis out of putting them on once :) Maybe not the preferred technique, but not everyone is a natural. Got to the fleet a couple months before promoting to LT, ended up doing an airborne promotion which was pretty cool. My skipper had the lead, and I was flying loose form off him, and he read me the oath while I tried to fly form and repeat over the radio. Am I not really a LT because I didn't raise my right hand? And no I didn't down that flight....

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Something about his story (or at least how it was perceived by you) doesn't quite add up. I have this feeling he may have been talking it up a bit.

To be fair, promotion to CAPT or CDR is still pretty competitive, and maybe arguably LCDR depending on your community. Agreed about the O-3/O-2 realm though......I can't imagine that was every very competitive, even if there was a more formal process. I'll ask my old man, he pinned O-3 in 1962 so that would probably be a good estimation of the history of competitiveness....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cool story.....I downed a Defensive BFM flight in the T-45 the same day that I promoted to LTJG. So I got two wears of my khakis out of putting them on once :) Maybe not the preferred technique, but not everyone is a natural. Got to the fleet a couple months before promoting to LT, ended up doing an airborne promotion which was pretty cool. My skipper had the lead, and I was flying loose form off him, and he read me the oath while I tried to fly form and repeat over the radio. Am I not really a LT because I didn't raise my right hand? And no I didn't down that flight....
By the regs, redoing your oath of office when you're being promoted is optional. It's just kinda cool. All that's really required is that you sign the paperwork accepting the promotion.