• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Professional Reading Drop Box

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Farva01

BKR
pilot
This may have been shared here before, if so, my bad. This is one of VADM Stockdale's more famous pieces of writing. You'll find it linked or referenced in any number of military/navy leadership/philosophy courses. I have a copy in a binder I keep of save-worthy reads.

Thanks for the steer. I have been taking a deep dive into Stoic philosophy the last couple of months. It has been like finding that long lost relative I have been searching for.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Thanks for the steer. I have been taking a deep dive into Stoic philosophy the last couple of months. It has been like finding that long lost relative I have been searching for.
I got into a bit after reading Nassim Taleb's books. I'm still ultimately an Objectivist, but I think the Stoics discovered a lot of truths.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Caution to those relatively new to the ideas behind Stoicism: the name has recently been co-opted by mil-vet-bro types who are badly misrepresenting and misapplying the entire concept. Stoicism isn’t about being “hard AF” and having “zero fucks to give.”

Pags

N/A
pilot
Caution to those relatively new to the ideas behind Stoicism: the name has recently been co-opted by mil-vet-bro types who are badly misrepresenting and misapplying the entire concept. Stoicism isn’t about being “hard AF” and having “zero fucks to give.”
Amerikan Freikorps?

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Are you saying I shouldn't buy that kickass pair of Marcus Aurelius cargo pants with the Seneca knife pockets on display at my local NEX?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor

"There’s only so much talent to go around, and it doesn’t always end up where you might want it. Leading a deeply talented team has its challenges, but those typically revolve around managing personalities and sorting through a lot of really good options. The true challenge of talent management? Managing mediocrity."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Speaking of mediocrity, I've also had to work with HSL and VP guys

No, no, no, you're misunderstanding. That wasn't directed at you, it was directed at some of those you may have to work with (and potentially work for you).

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
No, no, no, you're misunderstanding. That wasn't directed at you, it was directed at some of those you may have to work with (and potentially work for you).
I think @Pags also passive-aggressively directed his response at some of those you may have had to work with...

:p