• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Problem with new AR build.

MasterBates

"Off list lowers" are the key..

That, and your magazine must require tools for removal, and be less than 10 round...

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
you can buy complete rifles @ gunshows.. they just dissassemble them for sale, and you build them up when you take them home.

again, to stay legal AND keep the pistol grip/flash suppressor/retractable stock you have to have a "fixed mag" and don't go over a 10 round mag. even the 30 round mags blocked to only fit 10 will be scrutinized. the less attention i have on my rifle the better.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Check to see if the charging handle is rubbing under on the stock. I have had problems with that on collapsible stocks. The good news if that is the problem is that just working the bolt/charging handle will wear it in so that the parts no longer catch on each other. That or you can sand down any high parts on the stock. Also, take a look at the buffer. My friends rock river gave itself a bur on buffer that was catching inside the tube. A little sanding and he was fine.

Lawman

None
One of the things I have used on my Mosin Nagant to combat the gumming effect that the Russian ammo has is windex, or some other household cleaner that has ammonia in it. You have to be careful not to leave it in the gun to long though (nothing over an hour) because the ammonia can start to pit the barrel, but it works wonders at taking care of the lacquer that Wolf, and other former Soviet Block ammo manufacturers are famous for.

Or you could drop the couple extra dollars and get yourself a solvent gun scrubber that will not harm the workings of your firearms. Im sold on Ballistal it eats through the dirty powder of reloads and other lower grade powders (think 1000 rounds of cheap .22 in a rugar) and it leaves very little residue when your trying to keep your weapon in a dry weather high dust enviroment. Cleans up miles ahead of CLP though I do use just a touch of that on areas of high metal on metal contact as CLP is a better overall lube. Only problem with it is the stuff will clear a room fast, deffinately not good for a small enclosed enviroment unless you want people asking "what the hell is that smell" for an hour.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
How does it do at removing the lacquer?

I use the windex because nothing else I have ever used has been able to remove it completely.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
Have you tried using some Hoppes solvent? And I would just suggest not using it, my DPMS says that it will void the warranty if I use any ammo with a lacquered casing...

PS, searched it (I feel like thats a prereq for asking any question these days) but what are good, somewhat cheap options for red dot sights? There is the obvious EoTech, Aimpoint. What else is out there that won't break the bank, till I can afford an Acog :D

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Bushnell makes an Eotech look-alike except that it has a plastic frame around the optic instead of metal. If you're not going to be banging it around it could be a cheaper alternative.

Lawman

None
How does it do at removing the lacquer?

I use the windex because nothing else I have ever used has been able to remove it completely.

Its good. It was originally designed as a solvent to use on Marine Engine parts so the stuff eats through gunk and grime without much problem.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Bushnell makes an Eotech look-alike except that it has a plastic frame around the optic instead of metal. If you're not going to be banging it around it could be a cheaper alternative.

Not much cheaper I'm afraid. The Bushnell holo sight costs 300 bones! :eek:

One thing that did catch my eye was their red-dot sight that looks almost like an ACOG...for 150 bucks!

73-0132P.jpg

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
Not much cheaper I'm afraid. The Bushnell holo sight costs 300 bones! :eek:

One thing that did catch my eye was their red-dot sight that looks almost like an ACOG...for 150 bucks!

73-0132P.jpg

eerily similar to what I have, Made by the offbrand "Guntec USA". Crosshairs with 200 and 300 elevation markings. Not bad. I figure this will be my plinker rifle and get a nice one for 100+ yard stuff. There's a nice 100 yard indoor place very close by. Cheap too.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
What's the point of lacquer on the casing, anyways? Make them shinier?

If I can just chime in on this - Wolf no longer produces ammunition with a lacquer coating - they have switched to a light poly coating and the ammo has reviewed well in the trade press. I ran 200 rounds of 60 gr. the other weekend and I noticed no residue build up of any kind.

You may genuinely have older Wolf lacquer coated ammo - could it also be your lube mixing with the carbon buildup from the Wolf - it s a little dirtier I admit - but for .14 / round it's an affordable way to keep your rifle running.

I use UMC for club matches... but wolf for plinking and steel plate practice.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
A litle off subject - but get an Otis cleaning kit - it comes with a nifty flexible rod and a complete system for cleaning or removing obstructions as well as a bore light/inspector. They6 have a very precise and methodical system of cleaning that goes with their products.

I think DOD has bought into their kits big time...the BEST by far

63.jpg