• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Problem with new AR build.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
Finally put the deal together. Stag lower/Stag 3H upper, generic 4 pos stock, knockoff trijicon acog sight.

Here's the rub. When pulling the charging handle back, the bolt seems to encounter a decent amount of friction. For instance when I pull the handle back about halfway and let it go the bolt hesitated like it's overcoming something before coming forward.

Is this because it's new and not "broken in". Is there even such a thing? I've stripped it and cleaned the shit out of it, and lubed the proper places with care.

Advice?

Oh, and already looking at a second...

223_arctic.jpg

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
How does it react when you pull the charging handle all the way back? You said it happens only when you pull it half of the way back so the full strength of the spring may not be coming into effect.

Couple that with the fact that it's brand new and tolerances are probably really tight, that might be where your friction is coming from.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
I'm thinking it's a function of break in as well. I wanted to run it by the gurus to be on the safe side. Pulling the handle all the way back and letting it go, it moves just fine. Not totally fluid but it gets there with enough energy to chamber a round. Maybe 1 in 10 times that I pull it back I have to hit the forward assist.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
I went out and shot a few hundred rounds of some Wolf crap. I would have shot more but alas the ammo was so bad it was gumming up the chamber and wouldn't extract.

After a thorough cleaning, the action is smoother, but still not 100%. I guess it just needs to wear.

(I'm in Kalifornia, no 30 rd mags for me...)

The picture I threw up was of a DPMS piece. Apparently they powdercoat the ENTIRE upper and lower and I haven't heard anything good about that process. Who knows what tolerances that throw out of whack. But I AM looking for a more long range piece to complement this plinker.

maybe this?

223_pardus.jpg

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I went out and shot a few hundred rounds of some Wolf crap. I would have shot more but alas the ammo was so bad it was gumming up the chamber and wouldn't extract.

One of the things I have used on my Mosin Nagant to combat the gumming effect that the Russian ammo has is windex, or some other household cleaner that has ammonia in it. You have to be careful not to leave it in the gun to long though (nothing over an hour) because the ammonia can start to pit the barrel, but it works wonders at taking care of the lacquer that Wolf, and other former Soviet Block ammo manufacturers are famous for.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
What sort of special considerations do you have to consider when you are doing an AR build in "Kalifornia?" I'm confused as to what receivers I am allowed to buy, how to certify if its Cal legal... etc, etc.