• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRO-REC Y SWO

SharkBait

Can anyone give me some insight into the background check process (when it happens, if it has already been completed, etc.)? I only ask because when running my annual credit check yesterday, I discovered I have a small doctors bill ($140) in collections that I was completely unaware of. Besides this my credit is great, but I just don't want them to think I was hiding this for whatever reason. I asked my OR and he said this isn't something to worry about, but he also said he doesn't know if its been completed and he really has no insight into that process. I'd hate for something so insignificant to throw a wrench into my process.
That seems pretty insignificant, I would pay it off and trust your recruiter. From the annual security clearance briefs I've been to they are more worried about large amounts of debt. So if a Russian spy offered you mass amounts of money for some paperwork you wouldn't be inclined to take it kind of thing.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Can anyone give me some insight into the background check process (when it happens, if it has already been completed, etc.)? I only ask because when running my annual credit check yesterday, I discovered I have a small doctors bill ($140) in collections that I was completely unaware of. Besides this my credit is great, but I just don't want them to think I was hiding this for whatever reason. I asked my OR and he said this isn't something to worry about, but he also said he doesn't know if its been completed and he really has no insight into that process. I'd hate for something so insignificant to throw a wrench into my process.
As long as you are proactive about these things, they look like minor blips. Find who owns the debt, call them up and ask if they'll take 30%, working your way up from there. Regardless the pay-off amount, make sure you get in writing that they will report the debt 'PAID' to the credit bureaus. Keep copies of everything.
Source: My own background check showed three collections. They gave me five days to 'Make it go away...', and I ended up paying a bill that was already paid off as it was quicker than fighting it.

Brooksssiiieee

Received an update from my recruiter this morning.. "They have opened up the investigation for security clearance. We just need one more person to sign your final selection letter and then you can come in and take oath. I'm hoping that can be done next week." Has anyone else taken oath yet? or have any new updates to share?

SharkBait

nothing new for me, was waiting for pilot board to convene and it was a no, so hopefully my stuff gets signed soon. I already have an active secret clearance and I am active duty.

SWOALEXANDER

Received an update from my recruiter this morning.. "They have opened up the investigation for security clearance. We just need one more person to sign your final selection letter and then you can come in and take oath. I'm hoping that can be done next week." Has anyone else taken oath yet? or have any new updates to share?
I'm in the same situation. My recruiter told me that my FINSEL letter is waiting for some signatures and then it will be time to swear in. Can't wait to have a solid OCS date for the first time!

ducks15

Has anyone's recruiters given them a ballpark OCS date? At this rate do you think we would ship after the new year or before?

MIKEH

Sharkbait and fieldrat, thanks for the input! Regarding OCS date, my recruiter said his guess is as good as mine. I read somewhere that the time in between FINSEL receipt and OCS date will be at least 3 classes, however I have no hard data to back that up. With that being said, things are all shaping up to look like a ship date of sometime in 2016, hopefully sooner rather than later. Also, a lot of us in here are going to be in different OCS classes, so that's something else to keep in mind.

SharkBait

NRC is signing Final Select letters four classes out. This is done to ensure that if a date is assigned, that applicant will ship on that date. There are other factors as well, such as there are 17 OCS classes per year and NRC works to level load each class so there is not a log jam in training post OCS. Certain communities also desire that their selects attend certain classes due to follow on schools. More factors include age critical folks get priority. Generally speaking, the way it works is that if all your documentation is at NRC and verified, your name goes to the bottom of the ready list and assigned a ship date accordingly. Another factor is that NRC is not assigned final designator specific shipping goals until late in the shipping season. NRC is the fill gap between USNA and ROTC. NRC is required to increase or decrease shipping based on over or under production of USNA or ROTC. Most of the above is out of the control of the applicant. All concerns above are NOT falling on deaf ears. What applicants can control is getting all the required documentation to his/her recruiter that is requested or for Fleet applicants to get info directly to NRC in a timely manner.

This is from a different thread, but 4 classes out is about 2 months. I would imagine most of us being in the December-February classes but Ill update y'all when I get my letter.

SWOALEXANDER

This is from a different thread, but 4 classes out is about 2 months. I would imagine most of us being in the December-February classes but Ill update y'all when I get my letter.
As far as I know, there are no OCS classes that start in December. There is one that begins in late November and the next one starts early January, that is assuming that the OCS class schedule I saw was accurate.

exNavyOffRec

As far as I know, there are no OCS classes that start in December. There is one that begins in late November and the next one starts early January, that is assuming that the OCS class schedule I saw was accurate.

Depends on the year and how the schedule works out, one year I had people I sent to OCS then 2 weeks later they were sent home for Christmas leave.

Brooksssiiieee

Soooo I've been snooping around and im seeing people selected from Sept Boards, and someone selected from this board with a "penciled in" date for OCS 8NOV or 29NOV. I'm starting to get a little anxious... but haven't received any word from my recruiter. Hypothetically, If I was to go that soon, I would know at least a couple weeks ahead of time, right?

Xanthus

I think hypothetically we are supposed to be informed 4-6 weeks before we go, but I am on this site so much I don't remember if I read that somewhere or if I am just blurring information together... This was all I could find but it is in regard to the soonest you would be informed, not the latest.
They tend to release the FINSEL letters up to 8 weeks prior to the class starting, remember there are already that have been waiting for FY16 classes, so who knows where you are in line to go.