• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pro Rec SNA!!!!!

B

billthrill1

After taking a one month hiatus because of some stupid posts and requesting to have a mod erase my history (I typed some moronic stuff), I just heard that I am pro rec SNA for BDCP. Whoo!!!

I have never been so pumped about anything in my entire life. I can't believe the Navy actually wants me, good ole' Billy, to be an officer and to be trusted zipping around in a multimillion dollar machine all for the USA.

Now before I go and swear in (or whatever the next step is) I have a few questions for all you guys who have done/are doing the SNA/NFO route in life.

1. Family situation. Assuming all goes according to plan, I won't be getting out of the Navy until I am 32 years old. My whole life I have wanted to settle down and get married by my late 20s, have some kids, a great wife, drive the kids to hockey practice, etc. So my main concern is that I will seriously jeopardize my chances of this happening. I assume that long deployments, separation, and the danger of the job make finding a woman difficult. Can somebody please post on this or PM me with some brutally honest thoughts?

2. The death factor. Right now, at the safety of my computer at school it is easy for me to say how pumped I am to step up to the plate for the USA and put my life on the line as my father's and grandfather's generations did before me. But I realize that signing up for this job will increase my chances of dying young by a great deal. Is it a common problem for pilots and nfos to have anxiety, nightmares, etc. because they have a very dangerous job? Again, feel free to PM me if it is brutally honest information.

3. This one is far less serious. The hippie factor. Has anybody here ever had to deal with constant, annoying harrassment, even violence against you, because of far left-wingers who aren't too happy with people in the military?

Thanks for all the help with the ASTB. I owe all my success to you guys/gals for that.

- Bill

P.S. I am retiring this name because it was stupid to have my real name Bill in there anyway.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
1. Family situation. Assuming all goes according to plan, I won't be getting out of the Navy until I am 32 years old. My whole life I have wanted to settle down and get married by my late 20s, have some kids, a great wife, drive the kids to hockey practice, etc. So my main concern is that I will seriously jeopardize my chances of this happening. I assume that long deployments, separation, and the danger of the job make finding a woman difficult. Can somebody please post on this or PM me with some brutally honest thoughts?

If it's that important to you and you're really that concerned about it, maybe going in isn't the best idea. However, if you don't obsess over everything, something will happen, you'll find someone, and life will be good.

2. The death factor....Is it a common problem for pilots and nfos to have anxiety, nightmares, etc. because they have a very dangerous job?

No. Period.

3. This one is far less serious. The hippie factor. Has anybody here ever had to deal with constant, annoying harrassment, even violence against you, because of far left-wingers who aren't too happy with people in the military?

Apparently it happens, based on one (1) article I've read here. Otherwise, I'm guessing you'll be okay.

B

billthrill1

No. Period.

Well that's good news. I just don't want to be waking up at night in a cold sweat, you know? I'm guessing it won't be an issue then at this point. I've got a few random flight hours under my belt and my heartrate during my flying was as normal as could be. I hope that helps me. I'm not much of a worrier anyway.

And about the family issue..that is still the #1 factor I have to consider before I go through with this. Any more input would be great.

- Bill

laurahare

Well that's good news. I just don't want to be waking up at night in a cold sweat, you know? I'm guessing it won't be an issue then at this point. I've got a few random flight hours under my belt and my heartrate during my flying was as normal as could be. I hope that helps me. I'm not much of a worrier anyway.

And about the family issue..that is still the #1 factor I have to consider before I go through with this. Any more input would be great.

- Bill

Well I can tell you our story. My husband and I met when we were both enlisted Navy serving overseas. We married then he served a year in Deigo Garcia, unaccompanied, and then he was out. We then our first son, and then I got out. That same year my husband went active Army and is about to go on his second year tour in Iraq. We had our second son during the first tour. I am now applying to OCS and my husband will be out of the Army next year. IT CAN WORK! We have a very successful marriage and family life, and while he has missed somethings, we still have it better than most. We have been married 6 years, and three of them have been apart due to military deployments, but they are still the best 6 years of my life! Would not change a thing.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
40/30/32
Likes long walks on the beach
Isn't looking for a committment...

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
The 1st time I did a spin, my life flashed before my eyes. It is not uncommon to have anxiety before flying. Hell, I get nervous just walking to the plane. But I start thinking about the training and how hard I worked to get here. Now the anxiety turns into confidence and I'm ready to do some serious flying!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
After taking a one month hiatus because of some stupid posts and requesting to have a mod erase my history (I typed some moronic stuff), I just heard that I am pro rec SNA for BDCP. Whoo!!!

2. The death factor. Right now, at the safety of my computer at school it is easy for me to say how pumped I am to step up to the plate for the USA and put my life on the line as my father's and grandfather's generations did before me. But I realize that signing up for this job will increase my chances of dying young by a great deal. Is it a common problem for pilots and nfos to have anxiety, nightmares, etc. because they have a very dangerous job? Again, feel free to PM me if it is brutally honest information.

Thanks for all the help with the ASTB. I owe all my success to you guys/gals for that.

- Bill

P.S. I am retiring this name because it was stupid to have my real name Bill in there anyway.

Congrats,

1) You could stay in Massachusetts and still not find a woman until your after 32... whats the point of trying to plan your whole life the way you are? Don't piss away this oppertunity over something that may not happen anyways.

2) I wouldn't say being an aviator increases your chances of dying "a great deal". I know three people who died this year in mishaps, including one friend- never have i walked to a plane thinking i might not come back, or stayed up at night worried and contemplating my own demise. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen... Any of us could die in a car crash tommorrow... why sweat it?

3) No, not really- and I went to school in Ma. Keep your political/military views to yourself and don't go around in your Navy gear 24/7 and you shouldn't have a problem. For every person that doesn't like what you do, there are probably 3 more that appreciate your service-even if they don't agree with the current administrations policies.

Also, sounds like you know why you took your month "break". Change your name, smarten up and make positive contributions to the site.

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
Is it a common problem for pilots and nfos to have anxiety, nightmares, etc. because they have a very dangerous job?

Flying is very safe. Crashing is dangerous. But as long as you fly in the middle of the sky you'll be fine.

Almost killing yourself is actually very exciting. Just remember that you're invincible and that nothing can harm you. :eyebrows_

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
After taking a one month hiatus because of some stupid posts and requesting to have a mod erase my history .....
Good for you on your Pro-Rec ... now take your AW experience for what it is .... an experience.

Or ... you may be "erased" again .... when it counts .... it's happened. :eek: