• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clux4

Banned
I have not been to TBS but I can't tell you that you will have the luxury of sitting indoor all day while your eyes heals up especially when you already have company and training has commenced.

It might be possible before TBS if you are one of those that wait forever for a date to report to TBS. My advice is that you do it before you start any training.

NavyOCS

I had it done and my commission is "on hold" for six months after surgery date. To make sure I can see I guess. Six months for me will be in Feb. 05, and I dont grad. untill May, so it works out.

usmcecho4

pilot
The brief my TBS company XO (TBS Alpha) gave us says that unless you had a military doctor do your PRK you will not be flying. There may be waivers but be careful and check things out beforehand.

s/f,
usmcecho4

Shadow9660

I dont know about Marine doc's only....but I do know that if you get the surgery done on the outside ...you have to have months and months of post op reports, so you will have to have the time to keep going and getting it done. I dont know if the wait for TBS is long at all right now, does anyone have any recent info on that?
Anyway, if you get it done in the military, you have to get on the waiting list. Even if your an NF0, SNA, SEAL, or Diver, and are put on priority I, I've heard the wait is over 6-8 months. priority II-IV's even longer.

I'm NFO candidate who qualified pilot, so I'm in the same boat. If anyone has any info regarding PRK near TBS, please post. Thanks

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
usmcecho04: your TBS CoXO is wrong. you can have it done at 'Johns PRK-Shack' for all the USMC cares, so long as you had the requisite pre-op parameters, results, and pre/post op paperwork.

And there is no additional paperwork if you get it done on the outside vice a military doc. The probation period is the same for both commissioning and flight waivers.

/civilian done PRK... like I'd trust my eyes to some military doc

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
usmcecho4 said:
The brief my TBS company XO (TBS Alpha) gave us says that unless you had a military doctor do your PRK you will not be flying. There may be waivers but be careful and check things out beforehand.

s/f,
usmcecho4

This is actually what was said by the Alpha XO. However, I heard a lot of chatter afterward from Lts who said they had PRK done by a civilian and were pq'd for a flight contract anyway. I'd just ask the OSO if it's allowed, that way you don't mess up your chances at locking in a flight contract. That'd be the best route, I suppose.

winger

FNG
I was the aviation rep for my platoon and a guy was really interested in getting PRK during TBS to become eligible. Our company XO shot it down quickly. Of course things vary from company to company, but from my perspective you have to get it done prior to TBS to compete for an air contract.

Good Luck.

usmcecho4

pilot
TBS XO brief (again Alpha 04) said that there was no chance of PRK while in TBS. Good luck.

S/F,
usmcecho4

Status
Not open for further replies.