• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Privately Owned Navy Jet

Piposterous

"The road to success is always under construction"
pilot
Good morning everyone.

This past winter I was in Wisconsin visiting some friends and one morning we went up in my buddy's Diamond Pearl. After flying above the bluffs and miles of farmland, we decided to stop to get a bite to eat at a fly-in diner, about 50 miles east of La Crosse. We landed, went in, and each got a nice, greasy burger with fries. As we ate, we noticed that many of the other patrons started standing up and looking out the window. Obviously this caught our attention, so we looked to see what the commotion was about. Coming down the tiny, icy runway was a Navy jet and man was this thing gorgeous.

Soon after, the aviator and his daughter came into the restaurant. As expected, the aviator was accosted with compliments and questions by the people in the diner. I overheard him state that he owned the jet and that his daughter sometimes takes it out by herself. I decided against asking him questions due to the attention he was receiving, so I turn to you all to see if you can answer a few of my questions.

Can anyone recognize the model of this jet? How and where does someone purchase a jet like this? Is it legal to fly a private jet with the Navy tag on it?

I cannot imagine that this bad boy is cheap but it's a hell of a toy to own.

IMAG1655.jpg IMAG1656.jpg

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
That thing is many pilot's ultimate dream toy. Fast, easy flying, extremely reliable, and other than fuel (~$1000 an hour) it's pretty cheap to maintain and mint examples can be had for less than a Ferrari. When it was looking like I was never going to have a chance to fly in the Navy my goal was to be able to buy one of those in my 40s or 50s. Luckily my fortunes have changed, but I still want one :D

Also, who go through the trouble of painting it in VX-9 colors if you're not even going to put the best part (the bunny) on there?

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
1zn97vo.jpg

I would paint it like this just to mess with people ;)

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
1zn97vo.jpg

I would paint it like this just to mess with people ;)

Admiral Benson: [while standing on top of the aircraft carrier, his cap blew off and landed in the ocean] Holy Cow! My cap blew off! Swing her round. We'll pick it up.

Officer: But, sir, we're on the mission.

Admiral Benson: Good thinking. We'll pick it up on the way back. We gotta mark the spot, though. Put Robinowitz in a life raft. Have him row in circles until we return.

Officer: It could be days.

Admiral Benson: Then put some food in the life raft, for god's sake, man. Do I have to think of everything? We'll tape his favorite shows, he won't miss anything.

My favorite scene.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've seen that jet; I just assumed -9 had got an Albatross as a chase/photo bird or something. I wasn't surprised after seeing some of the weird planes at Pax River.

jmcquate

Contributor
First photo (no bunny) has an N number. Second photo (bunny) appears to have a bu: number and other "Vandy" markings.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
From what I heard from my TPS classmates who flew it, the L-39 is pretty underpowered and underwhelming... According to them, you'd be better off with your own T-6- less fuel burn, and better climb/turn perf. Seriously.

Hopefully said guy wasn't claiming to be from VX-9 or anything. I'm kind of irritated that he "borrowed" their paint scheme, unless he's actually an alum.