• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Private pilot license??

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Incidentally, it's 35 hours minimum under Part 141, oh Mr. Know-it-all.

I was part 61, and as I have previously stated I finished it in ~40 hours after a 2 year hiatus which rendered previously logged hours almost useless in stick skills. PRIVATE PILOT Knowledge wasn't a concern for me.

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
I was part 61, and as I have previously stated I finished it in ~40 hours after a 2 year hiatus which rendered previously logged hours almost useless in stick skills. Knowledge wasn't a concern for me.

You really are making it too easy.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
This means that a PPL can be fit under a large area of aircraft. The secret of getting a glider is hidden in the wonderful world of regs. If someone were to get a private pilot glider and then want airplane single engine not as many hours are required.

No I know, I'm working toward my private glider partly for this reason. I've just never heard a glider pilot refer to their PPL, but rather their Private Pilot Glider. I'm splitting hairs I suppose...

But, it does beg the question: does a glider PPL keep you from doing IFS?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
This IFS question is rapidly ending up in the same category as the dreaded "What % get.....":sleep_125

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This IFS question is rapidly ending up in the same category as the dreaded "What % get.....":sleep_125

O.K. ... then back to the original question for the 450th + time ...

There are no shortcuts ..... and a Private Pilot's License WILL NOT MAKE YOU OR BREAK YOU IN the ASTB or FLIGHT SCHOOL. If you want to fly -- do it anyway if you have the means. It won't make you a Naval Aviator, however.

In the beginning and in the end ... you either "have it" or you don't. It's never been otherwise. We'd never heard of ARCO study guides, CD's or what-have-you training and preparatory materials .... we just applied, took the tests, went to Pensacola, and did it. Some did not make it into the TRACOM and some did not make it out of the TRACOM. Most of those who did not make it would not have been helped by any "training aids" available today or the time and expense of a PPL.

A PPL will not make the difference in the ASTB or whatever they choose to call it tomorrow ... if you want to fly and can afford it -- go for it. But if you think it might "help" you prepare for the ASTB, you are wasting your (or Daddy's?) money.

Ultimately .... YOU WILL GET WHAT YOU RATE (read: how well you fly) AND/OR WHATEVER YOUR "TIMING" PROVIDES FOR YOU!!!
(read: luck of the draw and needs of the Navy)

Want me to say it again???
I didn't think so ....

Bottom line: You either "have it" or you do not. You can try to stack the deck in your favor until donkeys fly --- but it will NOT work 99% of the time --- and that's the great thing about Navy Flight Training. It's a great winnowing process ...

If you come in the front door with the requisite grey matter, know your stuff in training, pay attention, keep your head on a swivel, fly your ass off, and show your instructors you merit those Wings of Gold ... you will probably get them.

Remember: We're NOT the way we are because we're Naval Aviators .... we're Naval Aviators because of the way we are .....

Think about that .... and believe it ... :eek:

Lawman

None
Bullsh!t .... that's complete Bullsh!t. GET THEM OUT OF THE COCKPIT!!!

If you can't get one in 40 hours or less ... you are dense .... you are permanently behind the power curve ... you do NOT belong in the air.

You will NOT like flying with me as Captain with you as a crewmember.

P.S. ... I got mine in < 40 hours ... you HAD to .... FIP circa the '60's ... it was all the NAVY would pay for ... :)

Took me 81.8 from start to Checkride at Riddle. Reason though wasnt me being dense it was because of the 2 and 3 month periods of time where I literally sat on the ground waiting to get scheduled for my next flight. Then after being near the end of stage II they swapped instructors on me and made me repeat the stage for the new instructor (something about her only being able to start from the last endorcement). There is just a culture at Riddle that is designed to take people as long as possible. And the way they restrict the kind of experiance you get is just a joke. Case in point when you go to do solo work you first do a day of landings with your CFI, they take that days weather conditions and cut everything in half. Then they give you a card with those numbers on them and that is your limitations set to do your solo's in. So if you get decent to nice weather on the day of your landings you can literally screw yourself by having no window for not so perfect weather when your trying to solo and then you spend days if not weeks waiting to fly. After dealing with Riddles way of running a training operation and dealing with 3 civilian FBO's I can tell you that Riddle is either a great scam or the most missmanaged joke in aviation training.

On the other hand it took me two hops of less then 2 hours to each to get my complex and high performance endorcements. At a Civilian FBO with a former Navy IP. Then it was just a matter of building hours in type so the insurance company would let me fly it by myself.

Lawman

None
Mefesto said:
Lawman... glad to see things haven't changed there. I taught there for 3 years. Gained a lot of invaluable experience, however I was always frustrated with the way they screwed students over and out of money. I always refused to take on more than 4-6 students (some IP's had 10+) because I knew I couldn't fly them all as much as they needed. It frustrated my TM's to death, but I also had one of the fastest completion averages, and highest student pass rates for check rides. It's the pilot factory culture, it'll never change. Glad to see the PQ card is still there. Gotta love the 4-3-2.

I wont recommend that university to anyone. Funny thing was the only reason anything got fixed my last two months there... oh wait I forgot to mention I went to Riddle in June of 01, and I was still waiting for them to get my Stage II check in April of 02..... there is a 2 month break in my flight log from Dec to Feb.... But yeah apparently the team leader for my instructor called me to ask "Does your father have a polite way of talking to people about a problem." To which I responded, "my father is a 20 year retired Staff NCO in the Air Force, so no he doesnt." I actually called my instructor one day when we were having crappy weather and asked her if we could get a plane so I could get some better numbers on my PQ card. And I think one of my favorite little Riddle tricks was when they would lay off a third of their instructor staff over the summer and then rehire them but without any time for previous service counted toward promotion and advancement. Talk about a place that eats its young.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I wont recommend that university to anyone. Funny thing was the only reason anything got fixed my last two months there... oh wait I forgot to mention I went to Riddle in June of 01, and I was still waiting for them to get my Stage II check in April of 02..... there is a 2 month break in my flight log from Dec to Feb.... But yeah apparently the team leader for my instructor called me to ask "Does your father have a polite way of talking to people about a problem." To which I responded, "my father is a 20 year retired Staff NCO in the Air Force, so no he doesnt." I actually called my instructor one day when we were having crappy weather and asked her if we could get a plane so I could get some better numbers on my PQ card. And I think one of my favorite little Riddle tricks was when they would lay off a third of their instructor staff over the summer and then rehire them but without any time for previous service counted toward promotion and advancement. Talk about a place that eats its young.

Things are improving, Lawman. I've heard all the horror stories but the new chairman of the Flight Department has been turning the place around. I'll post more later if you are interested. Let me know.

Lawman

None
HD we probably ought to just start a whole new thread being that there are enough people that have been to, are going to, or thinking about going to Riddle it would be worthwhile.

Also, I owe you rep whenever the system comes back up for that Avatar. Awesome.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Excuse me ... I was wrong when I said @ 39 hours for my PPL ... checked my old civilian logbook today and it was 37.2 hours spread over 7 months.

I guess some guys are just slow learners .... :)