• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Private pilot license??

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....it is not unheard of to get a PPL in 60-70 hours, and even in some part 61 programs.....
Bullsh!t .... that's complete Bullsh!t. GET THEM OUT OF THE COCKPIT!!!

If you can't get one in 40 hours or less ... you are dense .... you are permanently behind the power curve ... you do NOT belong in the air.

You will NOT like flying with me as Captain with you as a crewmember.

P.S. ... I got mine in < 40 hours ... you HAD to .... FIP circa the '60's ... it was all the NAVY would pay for ... :)

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor

If you can't get one in 40 hours or less ... you are dense .... you are permanently behind the power curve ... you do NOT belong in the air.

P.S. ... I got mine in < 40 hours ... you HAD to .... FIP circa the '60's ... it was all the NAVY would pay for ... :)

A4s, I wish I could have had you for my CFI back in the day. :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ahh, but A4's, I can give you a perfectly valid reason why one (say, me for example) couldn't do it in 40 hours: not old enough. Of course, Nikolas' loophole does help w/ that.

skipio

BuGGiN OuT
Besides the ARCO prep books, can anyone recommend a book or two on basic aviational knowledge that would be relevant for the test? Links would be great...;)

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
Eh, I got mine in more than 40 hours, but I had to wait until my 16th birthday to solo, and for my 17th birthday for my FAA check ride... At the time, I also didn't know I wanted to fly for the Navy or any of that... it was just a hobby :)

and to think I could have been spending that money at the mall like the rest of the girls at that age...

But, back to the subject at hand -- you do NOT need hours to do well on the ASTB :) ~Red

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A4s, I wish I could have had you for my CFI back in the day. :D
What do you mean back in the day? For the love of god, I would pay good money to watch the CRM videotape of A4s handing many of you "wet behind the ears wannabes" your over inflated internet googled/wikipeda "knowledges" with a brutal checkride or heck, even an instrument check!!!

HD, not directed at you per se....

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
What do you mean back in the day? For the love of god, I would pay good money to watch the CRM videotape of A4s handing many of you "wet behind the ears wannabes" your over inflated internet googled/wikipeda "knowledges" with a brutal checkride or heck, even an instrument check!!!

HD, not directed at you per se....

Understand completely, I would probably learn a lot if A4s didn't throw me out of the plane. :D

MasterBates

If he gave you a chute, you passed.

If not, you were not destined to fly.

Just incase you are able to fly, that is the other way to pass his check.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Who the hell refers to a glider rating as a PPL?

Here's how it works in certification of airmen.

Pilot certificates:
Sport
Recreational
Student
Private
Commercial
ATP

Certificate categories:
Airplane - Single engine land, single engine sea, multi engine land, multi engine sea
Rotorcraft - Helicopter, Gyrocopter
Glider
Powered Lift (Osprey anyone?)
Lighter Than Air
Airship

Certificate rating:
Instrument Airplane
Instrument Helicopter
Instrument Powered Lift

Certified Flight Instructor certificate ratings:
Instrument - Airplane, Helicopter, Powered Lift
Airplane - Single engine, multi engine
Glider
Rotorcraft - Helicopter, gyrocopter
Powered Lift

This means that a PPL can be fit under a large area of aircraft. The secret of getting a glider is hidden in the wonderful world of regs. If someone were to get a private pilot glider and then want airplane single engine not as many hours are required.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor

I'll go ahead and notify the FAA that you said they should lower their required hours to get a PPL from 40 to...oh...how many hours did it take you?:D

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll go ahead and notify the FAA that you said they should lower their required hours to get a PPL from 40 to...oh...how many hours did it take you?:D
Incidentally, it's 35 hours minimum under Part 141, oh Mr. Know-it-all.

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
Besides the ARCO prep books, can anyone recommend a book or two on basic aviational knowledge that would be relevant for the test? Links would be great...;)

Gliem Private Pilot Test Book, and the Jepp Private Pilot Manual. Its all you'll need. You could always go somewhere and go through ground school. I don't know how expensive that would be but if it might help to have someone who is experienced explain some of the information. I didn't do that, just throwing it out there.

Buy the Jepp book off half.com and save yourself some big bucks.