• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prior Service Marine to Navy OCS

luvmychevy1951

Hi everyone. I was wondering if there were any prior service enlisted Marines who have gone through OCS. How different is it from recruit training? Do you feel any loss of self as a Marine? Any Tips?

luvmychevy1951

I wont be "that guy" I am a Marine, will be a Marine. I will take what the Marines have taught me and use it to become a better officer. It will be tough making the transition, and tough to decide to switch but I like to think that one will make me better at the other.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wont be "that guy"
I'm afraid you will, and it's not pleasant :(
I am a Marine, will be a Marine. I will take what the Marines have taught me and use it to become a better officer. It will be tough making the transition, and tough to decide to switch but I like to think that one will make me better at the other.
Possibility that you may never attain either, both are a long tough and demanding road, and you seem to want to be both... i.e., a Naval Officer uniform with a Marine inside, it just doesn't work that way!;)
BzB

luvmychevy1951

Well this thread hasnt turned out like I thought it would. Here I was looking for general advice and encouragement. I have adapted before. I went from being a Sergeant in the Marines on a Wednesday to the manager of a restaurant and student on a monday. The transition was hard and it definatley had its heartaches from time to time. But oddly enough, being a "lowly" restaurant worker made me a better leader. I am confident that the new experience of the Navy will do the same.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
When I was at OCS two years ago, there were plenty of prior Marines. The DIs tend to put them in positions of leadership, they usually don't get rolled, and they were able to usually able to leverage their experience in a good way without getting too ooh-rah.

Having said this, running around like you're still a sergeant in the Marines (or any enlisted rank/position, etc) during or after OCS isn't a good thing, as others have said.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Well this thread hasnt turned out like I thought it would. Here I was looking for general advice and encouragement. I have adapted before. I went from being a Sergeant in the Marines on a Wednesday to the manager of a restaurant and student on a monday. The transition was hard and it definatley had its heartaches from time to time. But oddly enough, being a "lowly" restaurant worker made me a better leader. I am confident that the new experience of the Navy will do the same.

If you're so worried about "losing yourself" why didn't you apply for Marine Corps officer? Honestly, it doesn't seem like you're 100% onboard joining the Navy and shipping off to OCS. If I was your OR (and as a commissioned officer) I probably wouldn't have even submitted your kit until you were fully ready to join. Complain all you want and even complain to my CO, I'll even give you his number and email; in the end my word and information outweighs yours.

My job is to send both QUALIFIED and MOTIVATED applicants into the fleet. If I don't accomplish either, I am doing my friends out there in the Fleet a major disservice.

Last edited:

luvmychevy1951

If you're so worried about "losing yourself" why didn't you apply for Marine Corps officer? Honestly, it doesn't seem like you're 100% onboard joining the Navy and shipping off to OCS. If I was your OR (and as a commissioned officer) I probably wouldn't have even submitted your kit until you were fully ready to join. Complain all you want and even complain to my CO, I'll even give you his number and email; in the end my word and information outweighs yours.

My job is to send both QUALIFIED and MOTIVATED applicants into the fleet. If I don't accomplish either, I am doing my friends out there in the Fleet a major disservice.
I am both qualified and motivated. I submitted 8 packages over 3 years with the Marines. But they only had 10% selection rates for my area on most boards. I am excited about the Navy. Just because I asked one question does not qualify you to question someones entire motivation. You have to take every aspect of what you are doing into account. This has been my dream and passion my entire life. I asked about OCS, not the Navy. I am committed to my life in the Navy.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just went to a retirement for a LCDR who did 16 years as a Marine E on top of a stint in the VA NG. What was he proudest of? His time as a Marine, but he was also a damn fine Navy officer who didn't have any angst about being just a 'former' Marine. Putting aside the propaganda for a minute you will be taking the same oath as a Navy officer as you would a Marine one and at the end of the day we are on the same team.

You don't have to lose all that 'yut' when you wear a Navy uniform but keep most of it to yourself or else you will be 'that guy'. Your prior service will be noted and respected but leave it at that, if you do much more it will soon turn into a detriment. Simple as that.

TnSig

SNA
Hi everyone. I was wondering if there were any prior service enlisted Marines who have gone through OCS. How different is it from recruit training? Do you feel any loss of self as a Marine? Any Tips?

My roommate for part of OCS and through all of API was a former AD Marine. Did the whole thing in the desert, has the combat action ribbon and associated chest candy to prove it. He did very well at OCS and is currently doing well in flight school, but he's not the type to continuously bring up his background. He used the discipline, motivation, and leadership experience he acquired in the Corps to his advantage and left all the rah rah propaganda behind.

There was also a prior AF guy at OCS with us. He felt the need to correct everyone's behavior at every turn and used his prior enlisted time to justify his reasoning. I think I heard the phrase "In the Air Force..." about 30 times. Don't be that guy.

rpat1987

Surf n Turf
There is nothing wrong with correcting people, as long as you do it tactfully so they can learn from their mistake. Prior service guys are the biggest asset to the new guys, as long as they aren't douchebags about it.

I'm going to have to learn to curb my NCO attitude when I go to school July 5th. It's a whole different world I will be going into.

Use your past leadership experiences to help mentor your peers into better Officers.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is nothing wrong with correcting people, as long as you do it tactfully so they can learn from their mistake....I'm going to have to learn to curb my NCO attitude when I go to school....Use your past leadership experiences to help mentor your peers into better Officers.

Tread lightly and don't be a dick about it.