• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prior Service Marine to Navy OCS

rpat1987

Surf n Turf
N
Tread lightly and don't be a dick about it.
hence the tactfully portion. I'm going with a "from my experience" quote, but from my experience, when you're a dick about things people tend to not listen to what you have to say, even if it's how to properly do something.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
There is nothing wrong with correcting people, as long as you do it tactfully so they can learn from their mistake. Prior service guys are the biggest asset to the new guys, as long as they aren't douchebags about it.

I'm going to have to learn to curb my NCO attitude when I go to school July 5th. It's a whole different world I will be going into.

Use your past leadership experiences to help mentor your peers into better Officers.
We have identified another future "that guy".

luvmychevy1951

My roommate for part of OCS and through all of API was a former AD Marine. Did the whole thing in the desert, has the combat action ribbon and associated chest candy to prove it. He did very well at OCS and is currently doing well in flight school, but he's not the type to continuously bring up his background. He used the discipline, motivation, and leadership experience he acquired in the Corps to his advantage and left all the rah rah propaganda behind.

There was also a prior AF guy at OCS with us. He felt the need to correct everyone's behavior at every turn and used his prior enlisted time to justify his reasoning. I think I heard the phrase "In the Air Force..." about 30 times. Don't be that guy.
Thank you! Thats really what I want to do. (Guy number 1 I mean.) I appreciate the feedback

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
So, I've never liked being "that guy", but how does saying helping others makes me "that guy"?
Because you won't be "helping", you'll be "correcting". And a new Ensign "helping" another new Ensign is not going to go over well with most of your peers.

Plus as an Army Sergeant (Drill Sergeant too) turned Navy officer (retired now), I can tell you you need to forget about 80% of things you as an Army NCO corrected/helped other more junior Soldier. Different attitudes, different customs, different philosophies. What is an acceptable Navy haircut may not be (isn't) an acceptable Army haircut, etc.

I saw the same thing at joint commands. The Army/Marine/AF/Navy officer "helping" the other service officer because his shoes weren't shiny enough, his salute not crisp enough, didn't say sir to someone, or his hair not a high and tight. It went over like a ton of bricks.

New Ensigns need to just shut up and listen.

roflsaurus

"Jet" Pilot
pilot
So, I've never liked being "that guy", but how does saying helping others makes me "that guy"?
It's not really your job to correct people while in OCS. That's what your class team is there for. My advice, make your prior service known and allow others to come to you for help if and when they need it.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...My advice, make your prior service known and allow others to come to you for help if and when they need it.

I wouldn't even go that far. As others have said, you're entering a whole new world. Do you know how to do the basics the Navy way? Do you know the difference between a deck and a bulkhead?

Just shut up and color. If you really do know what you're doing, it'll be obvious to your classmates quickly. If you don't, then your unsolicited "help" and "correction" will at best make you look like a dick, at worst it'll fuck up you and others.

Ventus

Weather Guesser
pilot
For the past year and a half I've been given the run around by Air Force recruiters. Boards delayed, appointments not made, phone calls ignored, general negligence and finally culminating in my recruiter EAS-ing a month before my paperwork deadline and passing me off to another recruiter that didn't give a shit and was also getting out in another month. All this while having everything done on my end waiting to get boarded, only to find out that my new recruiter wouldn't send me to board because I only had pilot selected and that I needed to "consider the needs of the Air Force." Uh, no thanks, I put in my time and I'm not going to sign more of my life away unless I get what I want for my career.

Active Marine Lance, 26, about to pick up Corporal with just under 4 years in the METOC field. Also about to go on a 9month deployment and even though I was trying to get everything done before I went on deployment so my package could still go to board after I left (which my old recruiter said was fine) my new one pretty much told me, "sorry, I'm getting out, wait until you get back from deployment."

On a whim I called a Naval Officer recruiter and left a brief message requesting some information. She returned my call a few days later. A very nice NC1 that listened to my whole story, my qualifications, test scores, and career goals before finally saying I was essentially a shoe-in candidate. If I could get her all of my paperwork she could get me up for a board within a couple months for aviation, even though I'll be on deployment. I was astounded. I'd never been used to such a fast turnaround. It was always 6 more months and even if you get selected it was like another year for a class date. But apparently the Navy is hurting for pilots just as much as the Air Force but unlike the Air Force the Navy is actually reflecting it in its recruiting.

So now I'm doing research about Navy OCS and reminding myself that after boot camp I never wanted to see another Drill Instructor again, but if screaming and playing mickey mouse games again for 12 weeks is what it takes get into the cockpit then that's what I'll have to do.

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
For the past year and a half I've been given the run around by Air Force recruiters. Boards delayed, appointments not made, phone calls ignored, general negligence and finally culminating in my recruiter EAS-ing a month before my paperwork deadline and passing me off to another recruiter that didn't give a shit and was also getting out in another month. All this while having everything done on my end waiting to get boarded, only to find out that my new recruiter wouldn't send me to board because I only had pilot selected and that I needed to "consider the needs of the Air Force." Uh, no thanks, I put in my time and I'm not going to sign more of my life away unless I get what I want for my career.

Active Marine Lance, 26, about to pick up Corporal with just under 4 years in the METOC field. Also about to go on a 9month deployment and even though I was trying to get everything done before I went on deployment so my package could still go to board after I left (which my old recruiter said was fine) my new one pretty much told me, "sorry, I'm getting out, wait until you get back from deployment."

On a whim I called a Naval Officer recruiter and left a brief message requesting some information. She returned my call a few days later. A very nice NC1 that listened to my whole story, my qualifications, test scores, and career goals before finally saying I was essentially a shoe-in candidate. If I could get her all of my paperwork she could get me up for a board within a couple months for aviation, even though I'll be on deployment. I was astounded. I'd never been used to such a fast turnaround. It was always 6 more months and even if you get selected it was like another year for a class date. But apparently the Navy is hurting for pilots just as much as the Air Force but unlike the Air Force the Navy is actually reflecting it in its recruiting.

So now I'm doing research about Navy OCS and reminding myself that after boot camp I never wanted to see another Drill Instructor again, but if screaming and playing mickey mouse games again for 12 weeks is what it takes get into the cockpit then that's what I'll have to do.

Read this article:

https://jorules.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/the-prior-dilemma/