• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prior Service aspirations of flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First let me say that if I am doing this wrong or posting this in the wrong area please forgive me as I am new and just looking for answers.

Secondly, I am coming here because A: the internet is full of information, but it can be dated, or generally just be a rabbit hole and B: Recruiters have no idea most of the time or at least only have partial information. That is my experience with them and know that they are tasked with getting people in and not necessarily what they want.

Please refrain from answering my post if you don't know, or just want to generally degrade me for not "using the internet right". If you don't have the answer or a direct link with the answer I don't really have time for you. I've been down that trip with Reddit, recruiters, and the internet as a whole so I am growing impatient. No one seems to be able to answer a few basic questions. The internet is full of knowledge but nowhere that I have seen does it show how to get from point A to point B with specifics.

Ok to my question, I am a 27 year old with a 4 year degree in homeland security. I am a year out from ETS from the Army National Guard. Upon my completion of the Guard I will be 28 years old with 8 years of service (4.5 active Army, and 3.5 National Guard). I served in the 75th Ranger Regiment as a sniper for all of my time on active. My military schooling includes Airborne, Ranger School, RASP, two sniper courses. I don't guess any of that is actually relevant here, but I offer it to paint a bigger picture in the event it does matter. I want to fly fixed wing aircraft, preferably fighters. I understand everyone wants to be a fighter pilot etc, and that may not be realistic but this is my preference with the goal of flying fixed wing aircraft. My question is regarding my background how would I go about making this a reality? Is this even realistic, or merely a pipe dream? The crux of my question pertains to guaranteed opportunity. I've been around the military long enough know to that nothing is guaranteed. However, when I initially joined the Army I was GUARANTEED an opportunity to attend Ranger Assessment and Selection via my contract. Is there anything like this across the services regarding aviation. From what I can gather you have to go to OCS in any of the branches and there compete for an aviation slot. It's not like you can get the contract stating "upon successful completion of OCS go to flight school" before hand. Or is there, that is my question?

Up and to this point my whole perception of military flight has been "unless you go to an academy, play 3 sports, and major in nuclear engineering" you won't even have a chance. I don't know if that's true or not, but one thing I have learned in the military is that rumors and generally false information have a tendency to circulate. I'm no Bo Jackson with a nuclear engineering degree, but I think my background proves I'm not a complete out of shape Jackass.

So, Is this a realistic goal for me, and are there any such contracts that I was referencing? If no and no what is the best route for me to have a chance? aviation in general, but with a preference in fixed wing and fighters.

Thank You!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I was actually going to provide a decent answer until I read this.

If you don't have the answer or a direct link with the answer I don't really have time for you.

Unf*ck this attitude on here (AirWarriors), to your recruiter, at OCS, and eventually as a commissioned officer... if your ego doesn't get in the way of getting to your dream.

Search AW's to find your answers. If you don't want to have a slice of humble pie, I don't really have time for you either.

RoarkJr.

Try USMC with an age waiver. Think we’re the only branch with a guarantee, but if the pipeline is as backed up as I‘ve heard, that might not be as feasible. Have you talked to a USMC oso

I was actually going to provide a decent answer until I read this.

Unf*ck this attitude on here (AirWarriors), to your recruiter, at OCS, and eventually as a commissioned officer... if your ego doesn't get in the way of getting to your dream.

Search AW's to find your answers. If you don't want to have a slice of humble pie, I don't really have time for you either.
Look I am humble, and I would appreciate your response. I am just sick of the reddit trolls. I just need honest feedback here.

Try USMC with an age waiver. Think we’re the only branch with a guarantee, but if the pipeline is as backed up as I‘ve heard, that might not be as feasible. Have you talked to a USMC oso
no not yet. I have been trying to get a hold of all the branches in that regard.

RoarkJr.

no not yet. I have been trying to get a hold of all the branches in that regard.
USMC has aviation guarantee but not for actual platform, just orders to flight school. You’d still have to compete for jets at Primary and hope timing is good. Maybe rushing a fixed wing guard unit? I wouldn’t know on that front. Unfortunately I don’t think what you’re hoping for exists. Pretty sure in every branch you still compete for platform selection after initial training.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’ll pitch in: you will get honest feedback on this site, but in return you need to do some research on your own. Rolling in hot to a website where you’re seeking help isn’t the best approach.

No service will guarantee you a specific platform (unless you directly rush a USAF Reserve unit that owns their own aircraft or an ANG unit), but you can get guaranteed aviation contracts in the Navy and USMC for sure.

30 seconds of googling got me the link to the Navy Personnel Command Website with the Program Authorization (PA) for going to Navy OCS as a pilot along with the contact information for asking for age waivers (which you may need given your age if you don’t get picked up on your first few tries. It will likely be granted as a candidate with prior military service). https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Caree...er/Active-OCM/Unrestricted-Line/Aviation-OCM/

USMC has aviation guarantee but not for actual platform, just orders to flight school. You’d still have to compete for jets at Primary and hope timing is good. Maybe rushing a fixed wing guard unit? I wouldn’t know on that front. Unfortunately I don’t think what you’re hoping for exists. Pretty sure in every branch you still compete for platform selection after initial training.
well that's kind of what I mean. I understand platform can't be Guaranteed, but can I get the knowledge I will branch aviation prior to OCS? USMC does it, any other branch? anyone?

I’ll pitch in: you will get honest feedback on this site, but in return you need to do some research on your own. Rolling in hot to a website where you’re seeking help isn’t the best approach.

No service will guarantee you a specific platform (unless you directly rush a USAF Reserve unit that owns their own aircraft or an ANG unit), but you can get guaranteed aviation contracts in the Navy and USMC for sure.

30 seconds of googling got me the link to the Navy Personnel Command Website with the Program Authorization (PA) for going to Navy OCS as a pilot along with the contact information for asking for age waivers (which you’ll need given your age but will likely be granted as a candidate with prior military service). https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Caree...er/Active-OCM/Unrestricted-Line/Aviation-OCM/
Firstly thank you so much for your reply and the information. That site as an example wouldn't stick out to me as where I needed to go. I didn't think I was coming across as rude, but straight forward. I don't care about platform as much as the guaranteed aviation contracts. Thank You!

Firstly thank you so much for your reply and the information. That site as an example wouldn't stick out to me as where I needed to go. I didn't think I was coming across as rude, but straight forward. I don't care about platform as much as the guaranteed aviation contracts. Thank You!

30 seconds of googling got me the link to the Navy Personnel Command Website with the Program Authorization (PA) for going to Navy OCS as a pilot along with the contact information for asking for age waivers (which you’ll need given your age but will likely be granted as a candidate with prior military service). https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Caree...er/Active-OCM/Unrestricted-Line/Aviation-OCM/
Also on that link where does it talk about the ocs contracts? Am I overlooking something?

Status
Not open for further replies.